On the cadge for a borrow please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

trapperjohn

MB Enthusiast
Car
124 300D 24V Estate
Evening All, Im helping a friend do up a boat and we are in need of a short term loan of a 10 tonne trolly jack.

Would anyone be able to loan me said jack or similar tonnage for a few days sometime this month please. Naturally I will collect and return the jack.

A sixty mile radius round Preston, Lancashire would be the maximum radius I would prefer to travel.

Thank you:thumb:

Crikey, a ten tonne jack. You'd be able to lift an aircraft carrier with that!

Ten ton bottle jacks are v cheap on ebay.... I have one i could post, but postage there and back would cost you not far off a new one!

I bought a 20 tonner, air operated cos im lazy, for fifty quid the other day.

The boat being done up is this one. This clip is of her on the Thames perhaps near you Charles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gbO3uPNO3c Its Ex RASC. A Fast Target Towing Vessel.

The jack is to help with the move a smaller boat (by 10 feet in length) from her current resting place and get her ready for a road move down to Lancashire. This boat "Corrina" has been bought for her engines and wood.

I'll talk to my mate about the bottle jacks thanks Guy. I'm just the ships rat in this little project.

The engines you hear burbling away in the clip are twin Perkins - It used to have a triple set up but the RASC removed one prior to its initial sale to the public in 1946.
Construction of Lemberg for the boat folk amongst us (and Im getting there) is double hulled mahogany wood construction with calico between the hulls. Oh I now know where the expression copper bottomed comes from.

Last edited:
"Only one without any planes on the deck."

That's not a problem; it's the only sort the Royal Navy has these days...

I believe the French have a similar problem too.

A salutory tale.

A very experienced friend of mine was lifting a 5ton yacht with a bottle jack under the keel when it slipped and trapped his wrist about where his watch strap was. After the fire brigade lifted the yacht it took the emergency medics and hour to dig the watch out his wrist.

He still to this day ticks when he walks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom