Opinions on MB or slum it with a VW!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Is an A4/A5/A6 saloon or Avant an option?
They are lovely cars with plenty of room and load space in the A5/A6.
The 3.0 BI TDi engine is brilliant! Coupled with 8sp auto/DSG, just over 5 seconds to 60 and if you really want it, 50mpg on a run.
I would test drive a Bi TDi before deciding against one. They are fabulous.

Is an A4/A5/A6 saloon or Avant an option?
They are lovely cars with plenty of room and load space in the A5/A6.
The 3.0 BI TDi engine is brilliant! Coupled with 8sp auto/DSG, just over 5 seconds to 60 and if you really want it, 50mpg on a run.
I would test drive a Bi TDi before deciding against one. They are fabulous.

I've had 4 diesels on the bounce and I dont really do the miles to warrant one. So it's got to be petrol. The S3 is appealing but it is a tarted up Golf R. The RS3 is very appealing however the prices arent!

I don’t think you’re gonna be in a golf r and feel it’s cheap - not to the extent of warranting the audi money. The VWs are quite smart these days and for me the key was on the initial post - 3 small children! Lol

I know it’s preference (quite like Audi’s to look at and drive to be fair, but like BMW’s I’m not a fan of the interior)

Had a C300 Coupe as a courtesy car for a few days, I liked it, it was fairly frugal and fairly quick with reasonable boot space.

Had a C300 Coupe as a courtesy car for a few days, I liked it, it was fairly frugal and fairly quick with reasonable boot space.

A mate of mine bought one at MB stourbridge del miles. I drove it and found the performance ok for a 2.0 turbo petrol. Not amazing.

I've not driven the Golf but recently went from a W211 to a M140i to a 740li.

The 1 series was brilliant at one thing only, it was quick. It didn't do anything else really well, it's biggest failing was that the ride was horrid.

I'd request an extended test drive and try and include all of your usual routes with passengers before committing.

I don’t think you’re gonna be in a golf r and feel it’s cheap - not to the extent of warranting the audi money. The VWs are quite smart these days and for me the key was on the initial post - 3 small children! Lol

I know it’s preference (quite like Audi’s to look at and drive to be fair, but like BMW’s I’m not a fan of the interior)

VW have always I think been practical cars and pretty understated. Which I like.

This will be a kid free zone the Golf R. The wife's wagon can be wrecked!

I've not driven the Golf but recently went from a W211 to a M140i to a 740li.

The 1 series was brilliant at one thing only, it was quick. It didn't do anything else really well, it's biggest failing was that the ride was horrid.

I'd request an extended test drive and try and include all of your usual routes with passengers before committing.

The M140 is a quick car just all that power through the rear wheels causing bogging down.. dread to think in the wet .I've owned M power cars and know from experience you clench your but cheeks! The 740iL is a luxo barge. I do like big cars - but he says I dont need a car that big. Plus the wife would twoc it.

I've specced DCC on the R FWIW. I'm not expecting a carpet ride. It is what it is. Point and squirt - I'm not bothered it may be 2 seconds slower around the track than a cup megane or the like. Straight line they make me grin.

Drive a bmw m135i/m140i and you will change your mind about the Golf R. 4 cylinders vs 6 cylinders. No brainer.

This thread reminds me of the old VW advert:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

VWs are nicely screwed together cars. Interior looks/feels as good as some of the higher end competitors IMHO.

I wouldn’t say no to a Golf R if I needed a quick hatchback :cool:

Drive a bmw m135i/m140i and you will change your mind about the Golf R. 4 cylinders vs 6 cylinders. No brainer.
No brainier indeed, the Golf is a better package The 1 series is ruined by its ride. It’s a shame as the engine is a total peach. I’ve had many straight six BMs, such a lovely noise in today’s drony no character world of 4 cylinder turbos.

I found the Golf R a bit bland.
I had it on loan for 24 hours and in all honesty I knew after the first hour it was not for me.

I was tempted as he had 3 left to contract hire at £329 a month all in, tyres, servicing and vat, that was with 3 months down doing 12k a year.
But I was not a fan of it.

How much were you looking at for a Golf R?

Some BMW dealers have some stock of pre built BMW M4s at silly prices.
Competition Pack and Ultimate Pack cars for £47k. (£89k list).

I got a quote from Lombard for one doing 15k miles a year...

£47000
£3700 deposit
48 x £487
£27000 final payment

I was seriously tempted, but forgot I said I was not wasting money on cars anymore! Haha
But to think some people spend that on a C220d coupe or BMW 420d.

I have a friend who bought a run out 140i and has had a BMW LSD fitted to it.

He said it drives exactly as it should.

And I remember my 1997 E36 M3 Evo, which had a standard-fit BMW LSD (no electronic crap), and that took a lot of effort to get out of shape running 321BHP / 258lb/ft.

As much as I hate the brand now, I would prefer the 140.

I'm not going down the finance route - for me the M140 is a very capable car.. I dont want to purchase a car then have to modify fitting a LSD to keep it in check.

I guess its horses for courses. I'm a fan of the Golf. I've done the M power thing which was fun.

I like the Golf R it suits my needs, I definitely wouldn't purchase a brand new car. A pre reg, good spec - VW wont be carrying the R on to the 8 platform. So a late 19 onwards.

Thanks for everyone's input.

I'm not going down the finance route - for me the M140 is a very capable car.. I dont want to purchase a car then have to modify fitting a LSD to keep it in check.

I guess its horses for courses. I'm a fan of the Golf. I've done the M power thing which was fun.

I like the Golf R it suits my needs, I definitely wouldn't purchase a brand new car. A pre reg, good spec - VW wont be carrying the R on to the 8 platform. So a late 19 onwards.

Thanks for everyone's input.

It's not a cheap mod as such so that is a bit annoying.

Saying that, a while ago I was considering a second "fun car" to make up for the entertainment value of the E55K.

A lot of people suggested mid to late 00s Golf Rs so I did start to look at them and I'm sure they would be a great car.

The ride on most M-Sports is hard for hards sake but the BMW 140 has its own little category of harshness that I haven’t felt since I had 305/20/20 tyres on Brabus alloys on my E55K!

Don’t forget that the Golf Mk8 is due out spring 2020. Might be even better deals on Mk 7.5 soon.

Don’t forget that the Golf Mk8 is due out spring 2020. Might be even better deals on Mk 7.5 soon.

The 8 platform is on sale late oct 19. They arent carrying over the R on to that platform.

Facelift well specced R's still seem to command strong money within the VAG network

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom