Out with the old and in with the New!

• Thread starter Deleted member 113659
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We don't pay Road Tax (disability exemption), I assumed neither does Ant?

Does Debs get a blue badge Ant?

If you choose longer lease, you have to consider extra costs of: replacement tyres, service, having car out of warranty. Most people would advise against 4 year lease, because you're paying to fix someone's else car. 2 years is usually recommended as sweet spot, since you can avoid most maintenance costs and in case of cars with Long Life service, pay only for one oil change.

Check out this thread on Pistonheads: Best Lease Car Deals Available? (Vol 4) - Page 1 - Car Buying - PistonHeads Following it for a couple of weeks/months will give you idea what are the beast deals around.
You can install script to sort results on Contracthireandleasing website: Best Lease Car Deals Available? (Vol 4) - Page 220 - Car Buying - PistonHeads

Regarding A4 1.4TSI, read reviews, some people complain about lack of pulling power, some people say it's fine for them. Best to test drive it.

I understand the logic but seems extreme finding a deposit every 24 months. I agree 48 months is a slight risk when once car is out of warranty in 4th year + required MOT. That said it's not like we're doing 30k miles are year. (If that matters).

In that case maybe 36 months is a nice comprise. For £23 pm I can add the fully maintained option which covers all replacement tyres and puncture cover.

Going to Carlisle Audi on Sunday to look at A4 Avant, A5 Sportback, and Q3. Stonking deal on an S3 hatchback but maybe the boot a little small. At the moment we're thinking A4 Avant.

We don't pay Road Tax (disability exemption), I assumed neither does Ant?

Does Debs get a blue badge Ant?

Yes Alan, disability exemption and a Blue Badge for Deb. Although current lease car included Road tax. Incidentally the Audi deal I'm looking at also includes tax. However, we will register if we find a deal where tax isn't included.

Audi offer an option of extending the manufacturers warranty to 4 or 5 years when buying new.

It was a £1300 option to extend to 5 years on our S6 - absolute no brainer, even if we decide to sell it before 5 years (which we aren't planning) it becomes an extremely attractive buy used due to the Warranty.

I understand the logic but seems extreme finding a deposit every 24 months. I agree 48 months is a slight risk when once car is out of warranty in 4th year + required MOT. That said it's not like we're doing 30k miles are year. (If that matters).

In that case maybe 36 months is a nice comprise. For £23 pm I can add the fully maintained option which covers all replacement tyres and puncture cover.

Going to Carlisle Audi on Sunday to look at A4 Avant, A5 Sportback, and Q3. Stonking deal on an S3 hatchback but maybe the boot a little small. At the moment we're thinking A4 Avant.
It's more about total cost for period of time. You can also find deals or request quotes from brokers for 1+23 or 1+35. Monthly payments will be a bit higher, but initial will be very low. If you don't have to pay road tax, then PCP might be good option, depending on the car and offer.

Maintenance could be good or bad deal, it's all about numbers. How prone to punctures are you and what's the cost of service. And then compare it with total cost of maintenance over the period of leasing.

My two previous lease cars I had over 24 months and in each case I tried to extend for a third year! Both were outrageously more expensive per month so both went back as planned. My latest lease car is on 36 months and it feels so much nicer to know I can really get "to know" the car! :D

I also learned the "return a month early" trick last time and yes, it avoided the expensive service just before handing back. With the 3 year deal, a moth early return will avoid the MOT as well... nice! :)

Just about to factory order A4 Avant.

Budget doesn't allow metallic paint (I'm too tight ;)) So, solid Black or white???

(It's the Black Edition in case that makes a difference.)

It'll be the 2.0T FSI Auto Alan. 0-60 7.5

I bit quicker than our E220d but I guess It'll be a different drive from the diesel

Good deal on an S4 but without Black Edition, Tech pack, revering camera or Matrix lights. I think I prefer goodies to power. Getting old.

A4 Avant ordered in Black Solid paint. (Because the three of us kind of prefer it to white)

Would appreciate views on maintaining black solid paint for over 4 years though. Is it going to start looking tatty because it's not metallic?

I wash our cars very regularly and don't neglect them. However, if solid black is not a good idea I need to know soon so I can change it to white.

Cheers.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    339.1 KB · Views: 13
  • image.png
    image.png
    324.3 KB · Views: 13
A4 Avant ordered in Black Solid paint. (Because the three of us kind of prefer it to white)

Would appreciate views on maintaining black solid paint for over 4 years though. Is it going to start looking tatty because it's not metallic?

I wash our cars very regularly and don't neglect them. However, if solid black is not a good idea I need to know soon so I can change it to white.

Cheers.

Personally, I'm not a fan of black; looks good when clean, but doesn't half show the dirt. On your choice, though, I have a feeling that Audi's solid black is very high gloss and my worry would be that swirl marks would become prominent after a time.

Whatever you go for, I wish you all the best of happy motoring!

Ernie

Thanks for that Ernie, really appreciate your thoughts.

I have a solid white van (the first and last) and I'm forever washing it for the same reasons. I suppose if you like (obsess) a clean vehicle there's no easy colour to keep.

The point you rise about swirl marks on black are my biggest concern. Had the van well over a year now and once cleaned it really is as good as new. With all that said maybe white is the one to go for. I'd like to chat with someone who has a solid black car for their views.

Cheers

Thanks for that Ernie, really appreciate your thoughts.

I have a solid white van (the first and last) and I'm forever washing it for the same reasons. I suppose if you like (obsess) a clean vehicle there's no easy colour to keep.

The point you rise about swirl marks on black are my biggest concern. Had the van well over a year now and once cleaned it really is as good as new. With all that said maybe white is the one to go for. I'd like to chat with someone who has a solid black car for their views.

Cheers
We had a black VW Sharan. Only ever looked alright when it had just been cleaned. Won't have a black car again.

A mate used to have a white Astra GTE. We used to carefully clean part of a door or a patch on the bonnet. Irrespective of how clean it was, it always needed to be cleaned.

On the other hand our Palladium Silver SLK looked reasonably clean even when it was mildly grubby.

Last edited:
Then it seems were doomed! ;)

Neither black or white are good colours to keep clean, i find silver to be the easist colour to look clean even when it really isn't. If it was me though i would also go for black rather than white.

For some 3 years I had Seat Altea in Black (company car) and that car looked clean only for few seconds when just washed. Even the tiniest piece of dust gets magnified on black background. Better to go for white.
That A4 is a nice looking car btw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom