Paint flaking on alloy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simonl

Car
SLK230
Today I noticed that a small area of bubbly paint on one ally has flaked off presumably exposing the bare wheel. I am planning to get all my wheels refurbed but I can't really afford it at the moment.

Will the wheel be okay for now or should I get it seen to sooner rather than later?

Cheers,
simon

Sooner rather than later. Without the laquer your bare alloy is exposed and will begin to decay, which cant be good.

Is this around the centre cap area? Seems to be common on SLK style alloys, I see lots like that.

simon

u have the same wheels as me - mine are exactly the same - although the laquer has not flaked yet - all the damage is underneath the laquer.

Its not noticeable unless you get down and look at the wheel straight on though, so I'm leaving it for now - will have them all refurbed at some point when funds allow (or if they start to flake) but its not a priority right now.

S.

The bubbling is on the side of one of the spokes near the rim.

(Graham) Yes, the wheels are also suffering near the centre caps but not nearly as bad.

Hopefully, I can get them refurbed back end of Sept. If I can get a borrow of a digicam I'll post a piccy.

You could ask your favourite bodyshop to paint them, or get one of those mobile paintless dent/stonechip/windscreen/wheel repair places to see what they can do. They'll come to your workplace too so you won't have to make time for them :)

this is a known problem

I've had this problem on two sets of SLK wheels and have written to MB UK about this - it's clearly a defective product - you might want to try for a good will claim at your stealership if the car is out of warranty.

Shude: I have a quote from a local bodyshop. £100 for all four wheels to be refurbed. I'm happy with the quote but it won't be happening this month. Looking at the state of them I'm not sure how a "localised" repair would look.

wbessada: Thanks for the tip. I'm visiting the stealer tomorrow - I'll see what they say then fire off a letter to MBUK.

Cracking lacquer at the area where the bolts are on these SLK wheels are very common - I have been lucky to not have suffered from them ... I have also noticed that AMG alloys are prone to widespread corrosion - is this the due to the kind of salt/grit that is used on our roads ? Or inadequate maintenance of the wheels themselves ?

Re: this is a known problem

Originally posted by wbessada
I've had this problem on two sets of SLK wheels and have written to MB UK about this - it's clearly a defective product - you might want to try for a good will claim at your stealership if the car is out of warranty.
My local stealership often has wheels boxed up in the parts dept, I asked why and they said they were refurbs done by Pristine, under warranty/good will. They're not obliged to replace the wheels, they have them refurbished instead and according to the parts chap I spoke to they come back in better condition than when they were new. They get an acid bath to strip all the paint etc off, then they're fully repainted/treated/polished etc to the requirements of the customer. Gotta admit, the wheels they got back really did look good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom