• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

** Pic's of my new car, DESIGNO S63AMG V8 BiTurbo W221**

Sam87

Car
S65AMG V12 BiTurbo & S63AMG V8 BiTurbo Designo
Hello everyone,

It has been hard for me to not say anything about this car as I’ve now owned it for 5 weeks. Most of my friends don’t share the same passion about cars that’s why all of you have to put up with me 😆

If you want to skip the essay and go straight to the pic's, I completely understand

Well, where do I start! As many of you have seen already, about 5 months ago I bought a Mercedes S65AMG V12 BiTurbo prefacelift W221. It was one of those cars that I said I would like to own one day and the love for this cars started when I bought an S600 a few years ago. I have done a lot of work to the S65AMG since I bought it and it looks beautiful ( if I say so myself ).
The main thing I had planed to do to the S65AMG was a full facelift conversion and I was sure I wanted to do that before I even went to pick the car up.

The thing is that, there’s not many S65AMG’s in the UK. After buying the car, I thought if I go ahead with the facelift conversion and one day I decide to sell the car, it might put people off. The car still looks good as it is, if anything, the bumpers look a bit more aggressive compare to the facelift car.

I thought I'd be fully satisfied with how the car was looking and I tried to like the prefacelift car more than the facelift S class AMG’s but I was still having thoughts about doing the conversion. I like the facelift car, just that little bit more. I just couldn’t be fully satisfied with a prefacelift car so what’s the most sensible thing to do in cases like this? Go and buy a facelift AMG also 🤣

I'll be honest, I hadn't really planned to buy another S class but one day I was browsing on Autotrader and I found a facelift S63AMG but not just any S63AMG, this was a Designo model. This was the same car I wanted to buy just over a year ago but the person that owned it now beat me to it and I missed out. When I saw it up for sale now, I thought I’d just give him a call and ask a few questions. After we spoke, I got a good vibe from the owner and I said I would like to come and view the car. He was 4 hours away from me :oops:

So you all get an idea how my brain works. After I spoke to him, I went and ordered lowering linkages and a boot spoiler for this car. To think, I was “just” going to view the car first….. yeah right! 🤣

I went home that day and as we were chatting about our day, I mentioned to my wife that I had seen a car online. Her first words were….. “ Please don’t tell me it’s another M3! It’s about time you got over them and surely there are others cars out there you’d like to buy?” I said “ Well, I have taken your advise and it is a very different car to an M3!” she looked shocked and asked to see pics of the car. When it comes to cars she just doesn’t care at all but she tries to be understanding and she has excepted the fact that her husband loves cars 😁 .

Anyways, I show her the pic's. She looks at me and says, “ Isn’t this another S class like the one you got already?” I said, well it is and it isn’t. You see, this is a facelift car. It looks very different to the other one I have and this is also a Designo which means it was a special order. After listening to me going on about the differences of both cars, she says, “ You’re going to buy it aren’t you “ I said no no, we will go to view the car this weekend together. It’s 4 hours away by train. It will be like a little trip. If I don’t like, we just get the train back and that's that.
I had only bought a one way ticket though. I was hoping the car would be good!

A few days went by which seemed to go painfully slow and finally the weekend arrived. The owner said he’d pick us up from the train station. As we came out of the station and I looked down to the car park, there was this beautiful big Mercedes that stood out from far away amongst other cars.

Without realising, I started to go down the stairs a bit faster and then I heard my wife’s voice, “ Sam, you’re looking a bit too excited, slow down and don’t leave me behind “ 🤣

The gentleman took us to his beautiful beautiful house and we had a nice chat there. After that, I became a lot poorer and the deal was done.

We made our way back to London and it was obvious I was a happy boy 😁. My wife just kept smiling and saying, you seem very happy that you got another toy Sam! :banana:

Anyways, enough of the story and more about the car.

I think it’s quiet a special car.

It’s a Designo model, exterior and interior.

It’s an S63AMG V8 BiTurbo. Being a late model, this car got the newer engine instead of the old 6.2 V8 naturally aspirated. I wanted the newer engine but to find one that is also a Designo, made it even more appealing to me.

The car is also a Performance Pack which means, it has more power than a normal S63AMG V8 BiTurbo and a higher top speed [ still restricted ]. The Performance Pack has 571 bhp and 900NM and it's restricted to 188mph. Not that the normal s63 is a slow car but who says no to more power right!

The interior is my fav part on this car ( looks wise ). I just love light coloured interiors and it's such a crazy high spec car. It has all the options you could get on this model s classes and some very cool features.
The roof lining is full leather which I have not seen before and the stitching around the door handles and sun visors you can just tell it's been done to a very high standard. It matches the leather on the dashboard

Pic’s don’t really show the depth of the colour and the shine it has but when the sun hits the paint, it looks really nice and it has so much sparkle. Pic's don't do it justice.

The previous owner said the car has full Mercedes history but it was all digital so I had no paper work to see. I don’t recommend anyone doing this but I took his word for it. When I went to Mercedes to order some parts for the car, I spoke with the service advisor to check how many times the car had been at the dealer. Her words were, “ This is one of the best service records I have seen on a car this age! “
In 11 years the car had been at the dealer 13 times for services alone and it was about to get the 14th service done with a lot of genuine parts being changed as you’ll see further down.

Last edited:
What has been done to the car since I bought it?

I ordered all the filters from Mercedes, air, oil, pollen, spark plugs x8, engine mounts, gear box mount, front pads and sensor.
I read that the camshaft sensors let oil in the wiring loom and eventually damage the ECU. I checked them out and noticed that one of the sensors had a small amount of oil. I thought it's best to change all so I ordered 4 camshaft sensors at Mercedes and changed those as well.

I’ve lowered the car ( I haven’t gone too low this time…….. I think :rolleyes: )

I had the spoiler painted. The first time I ordered the paint, it was only £23 for 200 grams [ that's how much the bodyshop guy told me to order ]. The paint turned out to be a completely different shade. I went back to the shop and told him the colour was way off. That’s when he realised that it’s a Designo paint :rolleyes:. He said this is a special paint which basically meant more money. Just one of the liquids he said he needed to use to mix the paint was £100 for a small can and he would have to use most of that liquid for my paint. For the same amount of paint I needed, it was £95 instead of £23 that I paid the first time. I said just give me the correct paint this time as I don't want the spoiler to be painted 3 times.

The spoiler was painted for the second time and the colour match was perfect. When I got it back, I tried to fit it myself but I was struggling to line it up. I tried to take it off and refit it again but on one corner it was proper stuck and as I was using some force to pull it off, it flew off my hand and hit the other S class. I lifted the car cover and noticed I had put a dent on the rear quarter panel on the S65AMG 😡 The spoiler got damaged also because it fell off my hand. Off it went to get painted for the third time :(
I also called the dent man to come and remove the dent on my car asap. He did a brilliant job and you would never know there was a dent there before.
We got there in the end and the spoiler is finally on after being painted for the third time.

The car came with it's original AMG 20 inch alloys and it also came with 21 inch AMG wheels but they were black.
I know a lot of people like black alloys but I’m not one of them as I think they loose all the details.
I sent the wheels off to get refurbished and I thought I’d try a different colour this time. I went for shadow chrome.
The colour looked beautiful but I think it would have clashed with the colour of the car.
As embarrassed as I was, I told the guys I wanted the wheels painted again a different colour as shadow chrome just wouldn't work. I decided to go for hyper silver. They know I’m fussy and no questions asked, they painted the wheels “again”!
This time I liked the colour. It's a bright hyper silver and the paint has so much shine/depth, I just love it.

Four new Pirelli tyres were ordered and I went for Mercedes fitment. I’ve never bought a tyre that was as expensive as the back ones for the 21 inch wheels.
The oem size for S class W221 with 21 inch wheels should be 245/35/21 fronts and 285/30/21 rears.
I also bought four new tyre pressure sensors as I wanted to leave the sensors on the original wheels in case I use them winter time. The original 20's also have winter tyres on. I highly doubt I’d be using the cars when there is salt on the road but I left the sensors on anyways.

While the wheels and the spoiler were being done, I wanted to wash the underside of the car. This car has by far the cleanest underside of any car I've owned but it was also the dirtiest at the same time. There is zero rust but there was a lot of mud and I mean A LOT of mud! I removed all the covers, wheel arches and anything else that would hide any dirt and started washing the underside.

As you’ll see, there was quite a bit of dirt that came off. Once all done, it did look very clean but it’s not finished yet as there is room for improvements.

I have fitted my private plate on the car which will match nicely with the S65AMG private plate.

For anyone that is thinking, how does the S63AMG compare to the S65AMG?
I think the V8 sounds like a muscle car, I love the sound it makes. The V12 is a very smooth engine but my god does it go when you put your foot down.
On paper, the performance pack S63AMG is not far off from the S65AMG but to me they feel very different the way they deliver the power. I would like to see which one is faster but that means I have to find someone I can trust to drive one of the cars and I’ll be honest, I don’t trust anyone with my cars :D

I love the look of the prefacelift car but the facelift car looks a bit better [ in my eyes ]. On the prefacelift, the two parts I dislike is the headlamps and the rear lights. I have fitted facelift rear lights to the S65AMG which has improved the rear end imo.

I’m sorry I’ve rambled on for so long 😁

I'll just post some pic's now............... well, a lot of pic's :D
This pic's were taken after the car had it's first wash and parked up next to it's big brother.
Completely standard

Last edited:
How the car looks now

I haven't managed to take any good pic's with a good background but this will do for now
Thank you if you read my essay :roflmao: and your comments are welcomed :)

I've messed about with this photo

Last edited:
Thank you all for your comments. I really appreciate them! :)
Nice to see you guys also think the silver wheels work better on this car
As for the S65AMG. It will be staying. I like them both too much :D

Nice car Sam, what’s the colour code?

It looks a bit like one of the platinum colours? They really sparkle more than the regular metallics :cool:

Thank you!

The colour code is 041 Designo Graphitgruen Met.

I think I overdone it with all the writing and the pics. I got a bit too excited :(

Anyways, for anyone that is interested in the spec of the car, here it is

Type​
Value​
VIN
ModelS 63 AMG
ColourDESIGNO GRAPHITE PAINTWORK (041U)
UpholsteryEXCLUSIVE LEATHER - BLACK/ANTHRACITE (521A)
Production Date2012-06-11
Check mileage
Order Nr.
Production Nr.

Equipment​

803​
YOM 22/1​
487​
ABC SUSPENSION (ACTIVE BODY CONTROL)​
FV​
SEDAN ELONGATED​
255B​
MB MOBILO WITH DSB AND GGD​
502​
3 YEARS OF MAP UPDATES FREE OF CHARGE​
582​
AIR CONDITIONER IN THE REAR​
P30​
AMG PERFORMANCE PACKAGE​
B03​
DIRECT START / ECO START/STOP FUNCTION​
M55​
CAPACITY 5,5 LITRE​
281​
AMG PERFORMANCE STEERING WHEEL​
923​
OUTPUT INCREASE OF ENGINES​
33P​
DRIVING SCHOOL BONUS PACKAGE 1​
34P​
DRIVING SCHOOL BONUS PACKAGE 2​
B12​
WHEEL REPLACEMENT TOOL​
A89​
REDUCED-FRICTION​
A88​
VS-I VALVE BODY ASSEMBLY WITH VGS 3​
Y10​
DESIGNO SELECTION​
P20​
DRIVING ASSISTANCE PACKAGE PLUS​
P54​
THEFT PROTECTION PACKAGE​

P70​
INFOTAINMENT PACKAGE​
928​
EXHAUST GAS CLEANING WITH EURO 5 TECHNOLOGY​
966​
COC PAPER EURO 5 TECH. W/O REGIST. CERT. PART 2​
K14​
CONTROL CODE FOR SERVICE INTERVAL 20000 KM​
P42​
AMG "2LOOK-EDITION" SPECIAL MODEL​
P43​
REAR SEAT COMFORT PACKAGE​
P48​
FRONT SEAT PACKAGE​
Y73​
DESIGNO BLACK LEATHER ROOF INTERIOR TRIM​
99N​
STEUERCODE WERK SINDELFINGEN/GRAZ​
305B​
HEAD UNIT LANGUAGE - BRITISH ENGLISH​
P17​
KEYLESS-GO PACKAGE​
811​
HIGH END SOUND SYSTEM​
771​
AMG CARBON-FIBER CENTER CONSOLE​
A20​
DIRECT START​
910​
DYNAMO WITH HIGHER CAPACITY (FFO)​
538​
ATTENTION ASSIST (DROWSINESS DETECTION)​
J1A​
NAT2 WITH OPTIMIZED DSM​
608​
AUTOMATIC HIGH BEAM SWITCH (IHC)​
237​
ACTIVE BLIND SPOT ASSIST​
238​
ACTIVE LANE KEEPING ASSIST (FAP)​

513​
TRAFFIC SIGN RECOGNITION​
521A​
EXCLUSIVE LEATHER - BLACK/ANTHRACITE​
P35​
LIGHT PACKAGE (FFO)​
520A​
EXCLUSIVE LEATHER TRIM​
867​
FRONT PASSENGER ENTERTAINMENT​
236​
ADAPTIVE REAR INTERIOR LIGHT​
F221​
SERIES 221​
817​
SIREN BRACKET FOR INCREASED THEFT PROTECTION​
383B​
BATTERY LABEL - ENGLISH​
U01​
REAR BELT STATUS INDICATION​
GV​
AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION REINFORCED​
518​
UNIVERSAL COMMUNICATIONS INTERFACE (UCI)​
294​
KNEE AIRBAG​
250​
AMG DRIVER PACKAGE​
U18​
AUTOMATIC CHILD SEAT RECOGNITATION (AKSE)​
A44​
SOFTWARE 3​
537​
DIGITAL RADIO STANDARD DAB (DIGI. AUDIO BROADC.)​
88V​
SPEED- + LOADINDEX ZR20 XL+ZR20 XL​
R01​
SUMMER TIRES​
G931​
TRANSMISSION CODE VERSION 31​

M157​
V8 GASOLINE ENGINE M157 - AMG​
K11​
ADAPTIVE STOP LIGHT FLASHING​
230​
PARKING GUIDANCE​
666​
PRODUCT PROT.F.TRANSPORT VEH. W/O TIE-DOWN HOOKS​
041U​
DESIGNO GRAPHITE PAINTWORK​
W69​
TRIM PIECES - PIANO LACQUER DESIGNO BLACK​
X00​
LEATHER, DESIGNO, UNI-COLOR​
X27​
LEATHER DESIGNO PORCELAIN SINGLE-COLOR​
U60​
PEDESTRIAN PROTECTION - ACTIVE ENGINE HOOD​
432​
DYNAMICS SEAT,FRONT LEFT AND RIGHT​
283B​
AIRBAGLABLE - ENGLISH​
885​
HIGHTEN THEFT PROTECTION​
233​
AUTONOMOUS INT. CRUISE CONT. PLUS (DISTRONIC PLUS)​
814​
DVD CHANGER​
876​
INTERIOR LIGHT ASSEMBLY​
581​
AUTOMATIC CLIMATE CONTROL​
863​
TV-TUNER DIGITAL TO ANALOG​
276​
MEMORY REAR SEAT​
406​
MULTI-CONTOUR REAR SEAT​
436​
COMFORT HEADREST DRIVER AND FRONTPASSENGER​

437​
COMFORT HEADREST REAR​
610​
NIGHT VIEW ASSIST​
621​
HEADLAMP WITH ILS, LEFT-HAND TRAFFIC​
205B​
OWNERS MANUAL AND SERVICE RECORD - ENGLISH​
537L​
GREAT BRITAIN AND NORTHERN IRELAND​
5XXL​
EUROPE​
989​
IDENTIFICATION LABEL UNDER WINDSHIELD​
A21​
SHIFT BY WIRE​
461​
INSTRUMENT WITH MILES IND. AND ENGLISH LEGEND​
864​
REAR ENTERTAINMENT (2 SCREENS)​
218​
REAR-VIEW CAMERA​
U72​
DVD PLAYER WITH REGIONAL CODE 2, EUROPE, JAPAN​
386​
UNIVERSAL TELEPHONY PACKAGE​
856​
PHONE HANDSET IN REAR ARMREST​
690​
EMERGENCY SPARE TIRE (MINI SPARE)​
427​
AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION 7-SPEED​
600​
HEADLAMPS - CLEANING EQUIPMENT​
413​
PANORAMIC SLIDING SUNROOF/GLASS SUNROOF​
275​
MEMORY PACKAGE (DRIVER SEAT, STRG. COL., MIRROR)​
573​
CHILD SEAT MOUNTING, ISOFIX IN REAR​

223​
REAR BACK REST ADJUSTMENT AND HEAD RESTRAINTS, ELE​
249​
INTERIOR AND EXTERIOR MIRROR,AUTOMATICALLY DIMMING​
297​
ELECTRIC ROLLER SUN BLINDS IN REAR DOOR LH AND RH​
401​
FRONT SEAT CLIMATE CONTROL​
402​
REAR SEAT CLIMATE CONTROL​
475​
TIRE PRESSURE CONTROL​
527​
COMAND DVD APS WITH NAVIGATION​
540​
ROLLER BLIND, ELECTRIC, FOR REAR WINDOW​
551​
BASIC ANTITHEFT ALARM SYSTEM (ATA)​
596​
HEAT INSULATING+IR REFLECTG.SAFETY GLASS ALL-ROUND​
682​
FIRE EXTINGUISHER​
772​
AMG STYLING PACKAGE-FRONT SPOILER, SIDE SKIRT​
816​
REMOTE CONTROL FOR RADIO / COMAND​
875​
HEATED SCREEN WASH SYSTEM​
881​
REMOTE TRUNK LOCKING​
882​
SENSOR SYSTEM AND ANTITHEFT ALARM SYSTEM​
883​
POWER CLOSING SYSTEM​
889​
KEYLESS - GO​
R​
RIGHT-HAND STEERING​
HA​
REAR AXLE​

VL​
FRONT AXLE HALF, LEFT​
VR​
FRONT AXLE HALF, RIGHT​

Accessories​

Sam, your a bit like me but next level up 😁 After seeing your designo S63 photo, I went on Autotrader to look for one with little luck. She's definitely one to keep and super rare 👍

I don’t like it ;) …………………well maybe just a bit:)

😁
Thank you! :)

Sam, your a bit like me but next level up 😁 After seeing your designo S63 photo, I went on Autotrader to look for one with little luck. She's definitely one to keep and super rare 👍

Thank you!
I’m not a level up :).
You have two amazing cars and your attention to detail is also on a next level. I always enjoy looking at pics of your cars because they look immaculate and you take such good care :)

There’s currently only one other Designo S63AMG BiTurbo for sale but it’s a shame they didn’t spec the interior a different colour. Only the exterior. I do like that colour also.
I would like to keep this cars for a while. I don’t get bored easily plus there’s still loads more to do to both cars :D

Don’t worry about being enthusiastic about your two motors , I would be even more excited if I owned just one of them 😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom