Pillow's C216 CL600 Project

OP
OP
P

pillow

Car
W216 CL600
Really good effort as always. What do you mean by 'agreeing on the shade of Obsidian Black' with the body shop? Is this because the rest of the bodywork has faded a little?

So basically the car had a previous repair on the rear quarter which I noticed was slightly off in terms of colour compared to the other panels in very bright sunlight.

When I went to the body shop to get the bumpers and sills sprayed they took the code (197) and said that they have seen a few variations of it and had a paint 'book' where they had different shades painted on card which they compared to various panels to decide on exactly which mix to use.

As it happens one of the card matched the other body panels (the distinctive thing about this shade was there was a distinct blue fleck) and one of the other variations matched the rear quarter (which had a very slight red/brown tint to the base paint). So it seems there are a few variations in the paint - I'm not sure if it changed slightly during a particular year or what but obviously whenever/whoever repaired the rear quarter weren't quite as switched on about it.

As a result I unfortunately now plan on having both sides sprayed so I have perfect matching paint all over.

bolidemichael

SUPPORTER
Car
S211 E500
So basically the car had a previous repair on the rear quarter which I noticed was slightly off in terms of colour compared to the other panels in very bright sunlight.

When I went to the body shop to get the bumpers and sills sprayed they took the code (197) and said that they have seen a few variations of it and had a paint 'book' where they had different shades painted on card which they compared to various panels to decide on exactly which mix to use.

As it happens one of the card matched the other body panels (the distinctive thing about this shade was there was a distinct blue fleck) and one of the other variations matched the rear quarter (which had a very slight red/brown tint to the base paint). So it seems there are a few variations in the paint - I'm not sure if it changed slightly during a particular year or what but obviously whenever/whoever repaired the rear quarter weren't quite as switched on about it.

As a result I unfortunately now plan on having both sides sprayed so I have perfect matching paint all over.
Very interesting. When I had mine respirated in the summer, there was no such option!

This is what is looks like.

W1ghty

MB Enthusiast
Car
E320cdi and CLK200
Just read it , what a great thread, thanks for taking the time to document your journey with the CL for us all to read .
I can’t decide now if I really want a CL or really don’t :)

OP
OP
P

pillow

Car
W216 CL600
Just read it , what a great thread, thanks for taking the time to document your journey with the CL for us all to read .
I can’t decide now if I really want a CL or really don’t :)
If you're asking that question then I think, deep down, you know really ;)

OP
OP
P

pillow

Car
W216 CL600
Yesterday was a spot of maintenance.

It would appear I have a small leak rearwards; potentially a RMS, or the infamous valley pan gasket (although I'm not sure if this is just from years of prior valve cover leaks. It does look 'wet' though but I've seen oil stay wet for a long time after a leak has been repaired). In any case, after seeing this a dirty oil pan a couple of years ago and not cleaning I took the time to give it a good clean this time so will check again in a few weeks to see if the wetness returns and go from there.

Stuck 10 litres of oil in and it still doesn't register as full :eek:. Digital oil reading is giving me an oil level of 71mm. I believe the range is 60mm-76mm so nearer "max" than not. Still, I was quite surprised it happily took the 10 litres even though the manual says it takes 9 for a fill...

I did have to double check I didn't leave the oil pan bolt out 😅

Attachments

• IMG_1979.jpeg
    IMG_1979.jpeg
    924 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1976.jpeg
    IMG_1976.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1978.jpeg
    IMG_1978.jpeg
    950.8 KB · Views: 10
OP
OP
P

pillow

Car
W216 CL600
Ok well a bit of 'detailing' this week.

So last summer, whilst working on the bumpers and skirts, I had inadvertently left some insects and other nasties on the paint, which inevitably left its mark.

Irritatingly I have lost the pictures I took of it at the time. Although hopefully in this picture you can see what it looks like, in bright light at the right angle it is very obvious;

89588DI.jpg

Here you can see them in-line with the reflection of the sun. They actually cover the boot lid, the roof and the bonnet unfortunately. Today I was going to 'experiment' on the boot lid to see if I had the ability to sort it out myself. I had spoken to a detailing guy who told me it would be around £550 to wetsand and polish the boot lid, roof and bonnet which was a bit too dear for my liking. I decided, as the boot lid is due for a repaint, to give it a go myself and see if I can do it. Assuming it went well I could then tackle the roof and bonnet myself too!

The last time I tried sanding paint was on my first car, a Rover 200. Suffice to say I was a lot less knowledgeable about anything and I burned right through the lacquer to the base coat 😅

So, with the aid of some good quality 2000 grit sand paper, and a load of water I get to work;

wnVs1Xx.jpg

Keep going:
VKzOt4K.jpg

And more:
r429kF2.jpg

And a last pass:
JNJEFBc.jpg

Right the way through this process you have to wipe away the slurry and assess. I kept doing so each time to see if the etchings had been flattened out or still existed. Once I was happy that they were gone or as close as I cared to make them go with sandpaper it was time for some polishing. I have heard rave things about Meguiars 105 and I can heartily recommend it to anyone looking for a heavy cut. I used it with a heavy cutting orange pad. It claims to remove up to 1200 grit sandpaper marks so should be absolutely fine for me. With a few very light passes (using plenty of water) it removed the vast majority of my marks. I need to do a couple of passes without water to get the full effect, and then a final few passes with a finishing compound. I use Autoglym Super Resin Polish on a black waffle pad to remove the very light haziness that the Meguiars compound leaves.

Anyway, the (nearly) final result left me a very happy boy;
2mLvHTZ.jpg

A significant improvement. I would say 95%+ better, and that remaining 5% I expect will go when I go at it without watering down the compound (also hoping for less splatter when that happens too :D)

And in next weeks instalment; I find out why there's a brass orchestra underneath my car:

MrGreedy

MB Enthusiast
Car
w212 E350 CDI 125th Anniversary Edition
And in next weeks instalment; I find out why there's a brass orchestra underneath my car:
😂

I started watching this, and couldn't hear anything, and turned it up, and turning it up, and nearly jumped out of my seat when the noise started. What a racket!
I can understand wanting to get that resolved.

Thank you for the update, and good job with the wet sanding.

Sam87

Car
S600 - RS4 - M3's - JAGUAR - LEXUS
Looks amazing with the AMG kit now.... Transforms the car completely!
Have fun with the detailing, the end results are worth it but the process can be a bit of a headache :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom