Planned your 2017 road trip(s)yet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
From Como to Merano my suggestion would be to head north around the east side of the lake, then pick up the SS38 heading east. At Tresenda you have some choices:
  • Option #1: Continue on the SS38, through Bormio and over the Stelvio (2,757m) to Spondigna then all the way to Merano
  • Option #2: Turn right onto the SS39 to Edolo, where left onto the SS42. At Ponte di Legno take a left onto the SP29, over the Gavia Pass (2,621m) to Bormio, then rejoin the SS38 over the Stelvio to Spondigna and all the way to Merano
  • Option #3: Like option #2, turn right onto the SS39 to Edolo, where left onto the SS42. At Ponte di Legno continue on the SS42 over the Passo del Tonale (1,883m). Just south of Cis, continue south on the SS43 to Dermulo then left onto the SS43DIR back up the east side of the lake and then back onto the SS42 over the Passo della Mendola (1,362m) to San Michele and pick up the main road from Bolzano to Merano
  • Option #4: As per option #3, but after the Passo del Tonale, take the SP57 through Cis then the SP6 and onto the SS42 to Fondo. At Fondo pick up the SS238 over the Passo di Palade (1,518m) and on to Merano
Any particular reason you want to route from Como via Davos? That route is eminently doable, but you would miss out the western section of the Stelvio, joining just before the summit from the Passo dell’Umbrail (assuming you took the 28 from Zernez over the Ofenpass).

Option #2 (via the Gavia Pass) is absolutely spectacular, but the Gavia is even more challenging than the Stelvio – you’ll need your brave pills. My advice would be to not even think about either the Stelvio or the Gavia unless the weather is dry and bright. If it’s not, at best you’ll have a miserable experience, while at worst it could be day ruining.

I know the Stelvio is considered a "must do" and it is arguably the most scenic of the high passes, but in reality its not much of a driving road, mainly due to its popularity which means that unless you're very lucky you'll be competing for road space with cyclists, motorcycles, other cars and (worst of all) coaches. For this reason my favoured route (assuming good weather) would be Option #3 - but then I've already driven the Stelvio a few times, so I don't feel the need to do it again.

BTW, beware of speed traps on all the passes. Some sections of the Gavia can have limits as low as 30kph (for good reason!) and the Italian plod will happily relieve you of plenty of cash if you exceed them.
Great detailed advice again, thanks!
No real reason for Stelvio just as you say it’s billed as a ‘must do’ maybe I shouldn’t get swept along with the hype lol. Definitely taken all your advice on board , especially regarding the weather! It’s supposed to be enjoyable after all !
Option 3 sounds like the best route, I’m guessing the views are spectacular whatever way you go?

If you want to get an idea what the views are like, try “driving” bits of the route using Google Street View but yes, the roads on Option 3 have some great views.

If you’re competent at reading maps, either take a look at www.viamichelin.com or buy the relevant Michelin paper maps that cover the areas you’re interested in. Michelin put a green edge along roads they define as “scenic” - and there are lots to choose from in the Alto Adige area where you’ll be driving.

You’ll have a great time pretty much whichever direction you head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want to get an idea what the views are like, try “driving” bits of the route using Google Street View but yes, the roads on Option 3 have some great views.

If you’re competent at reading maps, either take a look at www.viamichelin.com or buy the relevant Michelin paper maps that cover the areas you’re interested in. Michelin put a green edge along roads they define as “scenic” - and there are lots to choose from in the Alto Adige area where you’ll be driving.

You’ll have a great time pretty much whichever direction you head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, will check it out!

Well we've decided another stopover, we've just this moment booked a week on Lake Como, to fall immediately prior to our stay in the South of France.

I fancied the Swiss Lakes, or going further down into Italy, perhaps as far as the Amalfi Coast, but whilst Mrs D enjoys a long road trip, she wasn't so keen on moving every couple of days. We've not done Lake Como before so it seemed a sensible compromise between the Swiss Lakes and Italy.

Trying to wangle a day trip to Modena, and maybe Pagani, by saying my son would like it. She immediately saw straight through my plan, but I kept a straight face, and will continue to try to wangle it. Perhaps the offer of picking up a handbag may swing it. We shall see.

I now need to find somewhere the break up the journey to Lake Como (2 nights), and somewhere to break up the journey home from the South of France (2 night). Suggestions welcome! So far thinking is Switzerland on the way down and somewhere via Millau on the way back.

I fancied doing some of the mountain passes in Switzerland but it seems many are closed until June. Suggestions for mountain passes in Switzerland which are open in April? :(
Another stopover now booked, staying on Lake Lucerne on the way to Lake Como. I now have a single night to plan between Calais and Switzerland, and a couple of nights to break up the return leg from Monaco. Getting excited now!

Vignette (for Switzerland) and Telepass (for the Italian motorway tolls) both ordered too

Going in the end of July for a 12 days road trip from Thessaloniki to Zagreb/Brescia/Zurich/Venice/Beograd and back to Thessaloniki. Any suggestions what to see/visit are most welcomed.

I need to get those too, do you have any links to order?
For everywhere other than France, I use www.tolltickets.com and have always been pleased with the service.

Not sure whether it has changed recently, but when I first used them they were the only place to get an Italian Telepass from if you don't have an Italian ban account - you send it back when you've finished with it. They sell vignettes too, so I get everything from them in one go.

Sanef tags for the French motorway are easier because once you have one, you keep it. Buy direct from www.saneftolling.co.uk

For everywhere other than France, I use www.tolltickets.com and have always been pleased with the service.

Not sure whether it has changed recently, but when I first used them they were the only place to get an Italian Telepass from if you don't have an Italian ban account - you send it back when you've finished with it. They sell vignettes too, so I get everything from them in one go.

Sanef tags for the French motorway are easier because once you have one, you keep it. Buy direct from www.saneftolling.co.uk

Thanks, will check it out :D

Instead of buying direct from Sanef UK, Eurotunnel are still operating their offer for the Sanef tags that saves you the €10 application fee and also reduces the annual fee from €6 per year to €3 per year from the second year.

Yes i did that five years ago :)

Italy.

Calais ( Eurotunnel ) - Overnight at Troyes ( 4 Hrs ) Troyes - Grenoble ( 5 Hrs ) Overnight at Grenoble - Cannes ( Via the Napoleon Route - 5/6 Hrs ) Overnight at Cannes - Along the coast to Lucca ( 4.5 Hrs ) Stay there for a week. Relax :cool: Visit Pisa - Florence - San Marino, surrounding area. Just need a route home ? Any suggestions ?

Route Back Home : Lucca - Two night stay at Lake Como ( Tremezzo ) - ( 4 Hrs ) - Overnight at Lausanne - Ouches ( France ), we always try and stay there on the way back home www.chateaudorigny.com Amazing hospitality and great food Overnight (3.5 Hrs ) Ouches - Versailles ( 3.5 Hrs ) Two night stay - Versailles - Le Touquet ( 2.5 Hrs ) Overnight. Stay for the Sunday Market- then Eurotunnel late afternoon ( 1 Hr )

Many thanks Phil ( st13phil ) for sharing your great driving experience in Europe :)

I need to get those too, do you have any links to order?

Buy them at the border crossings or at the motorway service stations - far easier and cheaper.

Another stopover now booked, staying on Lake Lucerne on the way to Lake Como. I now have a single night to plan between Calais and Switzerland, and a couple of nights to break up the return leg from Monaco. Getting excited now!
Weather forecasts show snow for both Lake Lucerne and Lake Como, so we've cancelled both, and we're now driving the length of the coat from Spain to Italy, in hope of better weather.

When are you going ?

I'm looking at a few to do hopefully this yea 1st one will be Wales (Evo Triangle) + other roads around Wales and then the North Coast 500 (Scotland). Later on in the year I will be driving around in Vancouver, whistler etc but with a hired car. Pics will follow as soon as i get the hang of loading them up lol.

So halfway through my first roundtrip of the year. Staying in Intelaken and exploring the area as well as trips into Italy and Germany. I have recced the route to Grimsel and Furka passes (both closed) been over to Comp for Pizza and Ice Cream so done some lower passes and St Gothards tunnel (pass closed). I appear to have massively overused the wow on this trip

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Going in the end of July for a 12 days road trip from Thessaloniki to Zagreb/Brescia/Zurich/Venice/Beograd and back to Thessaloniki. Any suggestions what to see/visit are most welcomed.
In Zagreb worth visiting: Tunnel Gric, Old town (Zagreb Cathedral and Square of Ban Jelacic). On a way from Zagreb to Trieste-Italy (via Slovenia) in Slovenia a must see is Postojna Cave.
Venice, well, Venice. You’ll figure out.
In Brescia I haven’t been, but Lago di Garda is near and Sirmione is a nice tourist attraction.
In Zurich I’ve been only on business trips and saw only offices and hotels, nice airport though.
In Beograd; Kalemegdan fortress, Roman tunnels and old town.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom