• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Pop riveter issues

Darrell

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Back in Mill Hill but sometimes in Skiathos
Car
Gixxer 6, Citroen Berlingo, 911 C4S, Dacia Duster and lots of bicycles.
I’ve got a lovely Pinarello frame but the previous owners drilled off the cable stops so he could install a Di2 system.

I’ve already got a Di2 equipped bike so I’d like to have a conventional 11 speed groupset meaning I need to reinstall the cable stops.

I’ve read up on it and they can be re-fixed with a dab of epoxy and 2 rivets each. The issue I’ve got is that the nozzle on the rivet gun I’ve just bought is too fat. Any ideas??IMG_4819.jpeg

Buy a (usually) set of 3 different size rivet feeders.the rivet gun I have has interchangeable feeders.

Buy a (usually) set of 3 different size rivet feeders.the rivet gun I have has interchangeable feeders.
So does this one. The feeder isn’t the issue.

Thought you said the nozzle on the gun is too fat? (Sorry if I’m misunderstanding)
When I wrote nozzle I was referring to the grey bit. Thats the issue as in the photo.
The chrome bit (the feeder) isn’t the issue.

I’m not terribly au fait with pop riveter terminology. ! 🤣

When I wrote nozzle I was referring to the grey bit. Thats the issue as in the photo.
The chrome bit (the feeder) isn’t the issue.

I’m not terribly au fait with pop riveter terminology. ! 🤣
So you mean the Rivet body is too large?

As long as the rivet gun has a good grip on the rivet shaft, just put a piece of thick-walled tube over the rivet shaft between the head and the end of the nozzle.

To keep it straight and true?
If you use a piece of metal tube with ends that are square to the axis the rivet should pull up true. You could probably get away with using a stack of washers threaded over the rivet shaft if you can’t find a piece of tubing.

Try it out on a bit of scrap sheet first if you’re not sure about it.

Can you rivet through from the other direction, or does it have to be this way?

Have you tried the tube trick as per st13phil?

Or dare I suggest (at your risk) just pulling the rivet through with the head of the rivet gun restrained by the cable stop?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom