Problem with a Colt!?!?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DuFFmAn

Hey Guys, I hope this is okay to post this here as I needed some help.

I can't find any useful websites like this for my brothers Colt.

He has an S reg with a 1.3 engine... The car is refusing to start. Turn the key and everything sounds well but the engine is refusing to start!!... The sparks have all been checked and am not sure what the problem is. RAC came around to have a look and he reckons its the crank sensor?? This is wierd because Mitsubishi reckon there isn't one for this car???

Don't really fancy paying someone to check it out because the cars only worth a few hundred quid and its too good to just scrap. He only brought it a couple of weeks ago too!!

Any ideas guys?

Your brothers car may have also been known in other parts of the world as a Mitsubishi Mirage. Lots of these in Australia so they might have some forums. I think some of the PROTON model range http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proton_cars may also have the same powerplant so might be worth a look there also. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Mirage#Fifth_Generation

this Haynes book may contain details of your brothers engine/transmission? maybe worth a visit to your local library http://www.haynes.co.uk/webapp/wcs/...ctId=13085&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=10215

If the spark is good then try changing the fuel and air filters. Other possibilities are a slipped /broken timing belt or dodgy engine ECU.

Last edited:
Try carmechanicsmag full of garage blokes some heplful, some tossers:p but worth a go!

Lynall

Blimey!.. thats brilliant info guys!!!! I'm going to take a look....

I believe it has petrol! :rock:

Turn the key and everything sounds well but the engine is refusing to start!!... The sparks have all been checked and am not sure what the problem is. RAC came around to have a look and he reckons its the crank sensor?? This is wierd because Mitsubishi reckon there isn't one for this car???

If it sparks in time then whatever tells the ECU that the engine is turning over must be working and the problem should be fuel related.
It could be the fuel pump or relay.

Try dribbling a small amount of fuel down the intake as it turns over.

Oop, sorry. Thought this was about one of Samuel's products.

Still, suspect the power transistor.

Hey Guys, Got the car diagnosed and they reckon its the immobilizer on the Toad alarm system. However, to check this, I can't simple just disconnect the alarm... It needs to be "uninstalled"...

Having pretty much zero knowledge of alarm systems and car electronics, does anyone know the location of the immobilizer and its wiring to uninstall this alarm.

The alarm model is a Toad Ai606.. cheers

The immobiliser will be built into the main alarm, but will cut a circuit. All you need to do is find the interrupted circuit and remake the connection.

Alarms will normally break a power supply to either the engine starter solenoid or ECU and fuel pump OR both via one or two relays. As Dieselman says you just need to find the connections.
The car alarm Ai606 has a comprehensive range of security features including door, bonnet and boot protection, ultrasonic interior protection, 2 circuit immobilisation, a self powered siren and distress alert is complemented by many convenient enhancements including remote control central locking, system override, headlight operation and vehicle dependent window and sunroof close.

Here is the install instructions for the wiring plus colour codes which may help? http://homepage.ntlworld.com/betyouaint/Ai606_Install.pdf

Grober: Thats brilliant info there... Just found that the alarm has a lifetime warranty on it... But heres the problem, The car is here in Coventry, the fitter is in Teeside!!.. lol...

And to top it off, I cannot find the manufactures website to get help!! Anyone know if Toad still exist or a sister company? Someone said its Clifford but am not sure...?

The ignition key should come with a device about 50mm long and 7-8mm dia (flattened cigar shape, and coloured black) this has a circular contact that you push into a reciever point somewhere below the ignition keyhole - that is the immobilizer contact point - IF this particular car has one.

Holding this in contact should re-enable the system whilst at the same time turning the key.

(EDIT: Check out the last page of Grober's PDF for line drawing of the Touch Key)

The Toad alarm was a factory fitted option, so might be a Mitsubishi specific version.

This is all from memory so can't be more precise.

Mike

Last edited:
The ignition key should come with a device about 50mm long and 7-8mm dia (flattened cigar shape, and coloured black) this has a circular contact that you push into a reciever point somewhere below the ignition keyhole - that is the immobilizer contact point - IF this particular car has one.

Hey Mike,

Well the car was purchased second hand and didn't come with one of these. Does this device disable the immobilizer? I am not really sure what it is used for... Previously, to start the car, we had to deactivate the immobilizer using the standard remote fob. Otherwise the car would not start.

I am trying to contact Toad alarms to see what they have to say...

Any help appreciated... :)

Hey Mike,

Well the car was purchased second hand and didn't come with one of these. Does this device disable the immobilizer? I am not really sure what it is used for... Previously, to start the car, we had to deactivate the immobilizer using the standard remote fob. Otherwise the car would not start.

I am trying to contact Toad alarms to see what they have to say...

Any help appreciated... :)

Like I mentioned from memory, so help us all!

First off have you got the reciever part mounted somewhere under the dash/ignition key area - round chrome shaped socket (no more than 10-15mm dia)?

If not you have a different system.

If you have, then the "push key / socket" combo was only used if you had a problem with the main key, i.e. changed the battery - so you could have used the car happily and not needed the "push key" for years.

However, as I mentioned this was a factory (or at the least official dealer) supplied option, so finding a Mitsubishi dealer might not be a bad idea?

Mike

Grober: Thats brilliant info there... Just found that the alarm has a lifetime warranty on it...

So, now that it's failed, doe this mean they will come round and kill you?

So, now that it's failed, doe this mean they will come round and kill you?

You should stay off the class B stuff!!! :crazy:

talktofrank.jpg

Anyway, back to more useful stuff!.. I will keep you guys updated!!... Got someone else to do a diagnostics and they reckon its the distributor!! :crazy:.. Thats 3 diagnostics all saying different things!!!

Ahh well.. life shall go on!!! :cool:

Frank hung up on me. Barsted.

Lmao defiant!!.. You sure you didn't ring Knock of Nigel?? I head they are cousins!?!?...

Anyway... another update on the colt!

So far we have had 3 different diagnostics done and all three have given different results!..

Guy number 1) The crank shaft sensor has gone!...

Guy number 2) The immobilizer or ECU has gone!..

Guy number 3) The distributor has gone!

We decided to go with guy number 3 as he looked like he knew what he was doing!

Brought a new distributor and changed it myself today and hey presto!! It worked!! Woooo...

Drove her around for a lil while and parked it up!... 2 hours later tried to start the car again and the same problem again! Exactly the same symptoms!!!... It won't start!.. The battery is fine as we have tried jump starting it and swapping batteries with good ones etc!

I really dont have a clue whats wrong!... I must've used my awsomeness to get it started the first time but now its dead again!... Anyone here have a clue????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom