Project C43 W202

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thank you Brian. When I took this on, I prepared for the worst so anything else is a bonus!
Will be worth it in the end Abb :)

Reactions: Abb
Looking good :) credit for bringing it to it's former glory

Well a little update although not a lot of progress. Am only getting round to doing the fluids this weekend, so in the interim period I have turned my attention to checking functionality of all the electrics and general cleaning of the engine bay and interior.

All the windows worked perfectly but all needed re synching so the one touch operations worked. The sunroof worked if not a little slow but fine once it got going. A quick clean of the surrounding area and a spray of lubricant spray, it works flawlessly every time.
The electric heated seats work fine, fully operational and heat up with no problems, albeit I am missing the very small button on the drivers side seat adjustment panel, the one that moves the headrest up and down.
Folding mirrors work no problem, again were a little slow before giving them a good clean and a good spray of lubricant inside the hard to reach places. Folded them in and out several times to ensure correct operation.
Noticed some portions of the instrument cluster were not illuminating as much as others, as well as the climate control not illuminating but functioning correctly.
So with a bit of help from youtube I decided to remove the instrument cluster as well as the CC unit. The CC unit was an easy fix, much to my surprise. The underside houses a small bulb in a casing which simply unscrews and then replace the lamp!
Took my a while to read the capsule, but found a replacement for the princely sum of £1.
The offending lamp
IMG_8941.jpg

Replacement type
IMG_8943.jpg

I decided to use the method of removing the lower panel of the dash and 'push' out the cluster from behind, instead of using the hook type of tools to remove it from the front. Primarily because I didn't have a set, didn't want to order a set and wait for them to be delivered :D
So after doing an impression of a contortionist and several expletives later I managed to remove the cluster :)
IMG_8944.jpg

IMG_8945.jpg

The centre bottom one is different to the others in size and output, this looked passed its best. The tops left I removed to get details of what I needed. What struck me as odd was the space on the bottom left was empty but that part of the cluster was illuminated and did't appear to have any indicator lights out.

I decided to stick with the original dim orange lighting as to keep it stock oppose to upgrading to LED which obviously would have been much crisper and more modern but deviating form my plan of keeping it original.
Whilst I am waiting delivery of the required lamps I gave the interior a good clean, not that it was particularly dirty anyway. Used gliptone leather cleaner on the seats followed by gliptone leather conditioner and the seats have come up a treat, the leather really does seem to be so much better than in some of the newer MBs I have owned over the years. That said, there are a few scuffs (nothing deep as in gouches etc) more like light scrapes, which could do with colouring to make them pristine. Can this be done??
I also retrofitted illuminated vanity mirrors which I had purchased used, they were a little grubby but came up well after a little scrub. Unfortunately I found that the auto dimming RVM I had purchased was not compatible (the connector loom was too short), as it was for a pre facelift W202. Gutted as it was in hens teeth black too.
I have since bought the correct one, albeit in grey, so I may be getting sprayed black (if thats possible).

Grubby visors, they are actually the same colour but look different in the pics.
IMG_8904.jpg

IMG_8905.jpg

IMG_8903.jpg

If you have a facelift W202, don't buy one of these, they don't fit! :D
IMG_8906.jpg
IMG_8907.jpg

Nice clean up job...
Do you have any before and after pic's of the seats? :)

did your cluster sit tight before you managed to press it out with your hands from the underside?

Nice clean up job...
Do you have any before and after pic's of the seats? :)

Unfortunately not. The seats were in excellent condition and just needed a clean to restore them from the dulness. I will be working on sorting the few marks/scratches that remain, hardly noticeable but I know they are there. A kind member sent me details on how to go about doing this.

did your cluster sit tight before you managed to press it out with your hands from the underside?

It sat very tight indeed, don't think it had ever been removed, but it has been now and all is back in place and working as it should!

My new best friend at the MB parts counter, has informed me my final piece of my panel jigsaw has arrived from Germany, this being the rear nearside door, so now I have all the new OEM replacement panels and a date for the bodyshop, I can see light at the end of the tunnel! :)

:rolleyes: Oh abb, he just wants your money :p

So cynical of you Abbs, if I had handed over the money I have to 'Dave' at parts (he is actually called Dave BTW) to you, trust me you would be my best mate :D

Joking aside, and although I am a way off, what's people thoughts on indicator colours?
Reason I ask, mine are clear, both front and wing mounted ones (as it left the factory) but think it would look nicer with them being orange :eek:
I know this slightly deviates form my factory look as pre F/L were orange and F/L were clear, but I do like the old skool look which orange gives it.
Funny how tastes change, 1st thing I used to do was change orange indicators to clear ones on my older cars to 'freshen' them up (BMW e30, W201 190E) back in the day :)

if I had handed over the money I have to 'Dave' at parts (he is actually called Dave BTW) to you, trust me you would be my best mate
Would you like PayPal address? ;) :p

So cynical of you Abbs, if I had handed over the money I have to 'Dave' at parts (he is actually called Dave BTW) to you, trust me you would be my best mate :D

Joking aside, and although I am a way off, what's people thoughts on indicator colours?
Reason I ask, mine are clear, both front and wing mounted ones (as it left the factory) but think it would look nicer with them being orange :eek:
I know this slightly deviates form my factory look as pre F/L were orange and F/L were clear, but I do like the old skool look which orange gives it.
Funny how tastes change, 1st thing I used to do was change orange indicators to clear ones on my older cars to 'freshen' them up (BMW e30, W201 190E) back in the day :)

The indicator colours are a personal thing really. Mine are the original orange on the 201 but I've seen lots in clear where people have "updated" them. I prefer originality as you know, so will keep mine orange, though if it was the other way about I'd probably take the clears off and put coloured ones on, keeping them in a safe place somewhere for the distant future. :)

Orange for black or dark coloured cars or silver for lighter colours, Go with orange :)

Definitely Orange :)

I know it isn't what you're asking but I've a pair of brand new headlights with clear indicators for sale,both original
Let me know if that's something you might want

I know it isn't what you're asking but I've a pair of brand new headlights with clear indicators for sale,both original
Let me know if that's something you might want
Thank you for the heads up, I will bear that in mind. Mine are xenons and are fully functioning at the minute (tempts fate) so I don't need any at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom