Project C43 W202

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The actual good news from the bodyshop was that there was only 2 bits of rust on the floor pan at the rear corners where there was some sort of grommet, which doesn't actually appear to do anything??
So this will be addressed with the welder.

Have been made aware by the bodyshop of some of the not so good bits......
One of the doors (from Nick) has some marks down the side, described as a 'ripple' across the centre, although I could not see this when I picked it up and nor when it was being pointed out to me! To be fair, Pete at the bodyshop said I wouldn't have noticed it due to the dust and storage marks and its only because they know what to look for.
The dent in the bonnet they are stating can't be 'pulled' out.
The boot lid (from Nick) they are stating has some small rust spots on it, probably from storage.
I am in no way blaming Nick for any of it BTW, I should have been more thorough.

Unfortunately I cannot get to the bodyshop for another 3 weeks or so to discuss these matters in a bid to seek a resolution, oppose to having to do the alternative which is buy a new bonnet, boot lid and door, which I am now loathed to do.
Pete was reluctant to use any sort of filler (understandably to a point) to rectify the issues and made it clear it would be quite labour intensive which would in turn increase my costs, due to them pricing the job on being provided new panels.

In all honesty, when I got the news, I felt completely disheartened by the whole thing and rapidly lost interest , as I thought this was the final part and was looking forward to getting the car back, all shiny and new :( coupled with sheer frustration with the bodyshop as to why they cannot sort it out. I do not profess to be any sort of master craftsman when it comes to vehicle body repairs, however given their reputation and what this is costing me, I would have thought this is quite a run of the mill repair for someone with their expertise. AmI missing something??

As stated, I will be visiting them to have a chat regarding moving forward and whats involved in achieving my end goal and will update accordingly. Again, I do not wish to come across negative with this bodyshop (that is not my intention) I am just frustrated with what I am now faced with and the potential rectification costs.

Try not to get too downhearted pal, been there before with my C36 and the timing problem, it will come good in time and once it’s all done you’ll soon forget about it.

On the point of the body shop, in my experience, some are really proactive and give you as little headache as possible, others like to share every last detail because *some* owners are whittlers and just have to know everything.

Chin up :)

Cheers gents, just mailing the stealer as I need a sunroof seal and under bonnet insulation, getting prices for a bonnet and boot lid too out of curiosity from them.
Incidentally I can get an patterned part bonnet for around £120 but unsure of quality.

Sorry for any confusion, no Chris I am just updating the thread, the pics were taken 4 weeks ago!

Sorry mate i totally got the wrong end of the stick there.

I have just read through your updates and i can totally sympathise with you. I have been looking for parts and panels for my dads C240 and good ones are becoming quite rare and pricey by the looks of things. I have been looking on eBay for ones being broken and there were some ok ones out there but i have had to put on the back burner for now.

I'm sure you'll find a solution.

Reactions: Abb
Interesting thread nice to see another one being saved, don't let the niggles hold you back. Just thought id let you know the boot lid is incorrect for a facelift car like the C43. You have been given a pre facelift boot lid which will bolt up but cause issues with the boot lock/latch mechanism.

Interesting thread nice to see another one being saved, don't let the niggles hold you back. Just thought id let you know the boot lid is incorrect for a facelift car like the C43. You have been given a pre facelift boot lid which will bolt up but cause issues with the boot lock/latch mechanism.

Thanks for the heads up! Guess it's to the stealers I go then!

Any updates Abb?

Any updates Abb?

Managed to speak to the body shop a few days ago, the welding has been completed on one side (new sill in place, rear arch and jacking point done, as well as rear tow hook which was worse than originally suspected) so welding continues on the other side now.
Regarding the panels, the shop may have sourced me a replacement boot lid and bonnet (used but in excellent condition) but are yet to see them in person. They have been informed they are in excellent condition, but wish to inspect them prior to purchase to ensure they are good enough.

Once the welding has been completed and the car is returned to the bodyshop, work should progress quite rapidly I would imagine. Have asked for some pics of the progress too, and am still waiting on those.

The sunroof seal and bonnet insulation still needs to be ordered.

Managed to speak to the body shop a few days ago, the welding has been completed on one side (new sill in place, rear arch and jacking point done, as well as rear tow hook which was worse than originally suspected) so welding continues on the other side now.
Regarding the panels, the shop may have sourced me a replacement boot lid and bonnet (used but in excellent condition) but are yet to see them in person. They have been informed they are in excellent condition, but wish to inspect them prior to purchase to ensure they are good enough.

Once the welding has been completed and the car is returned to the bodyshop, work should progress quite rapidly I would imagine. Have asked for some pics of the progress too, and am still waiting on those.

The sunroof seal and bonnet insulation still needs to be ordered.

Seems like good progress Abb, hope it hasn’t hurt your bank balance too much :p

Reactions: Abb
Hey Abbs

Any updates mate, been following the thread want to see some pics mate :)

Raj

Sorry for the lack of updates and more importantly pics! Been a bit busy with family life and then damaged my laptop so couldn't upload any pics. Now I am currently at work and the photo hosting website is blocked out here (am overseas offshore).
I will upload pics in a few weeks once I am back, but I have been reliably informed, the front and rear screens are now out and the body is more or less back to bare metal!

Seems to be taking a lot longer than was anticipated however I am not bothered as I am in no rush to get it back at the min, as I will have to settle the bill! :D

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I've thrown away perfectly rust free shells (shells, brake lines, nuts and bolts all looking new) when dismantling cars here in Texas for the cost of the scrap metal. If someone can figure out how it get those to Europe inexpensively, you'd be so far ahead in terms of restorations.

Another update....car is about ready for paint (has taken much longer than was initially quoted to get it to this stage) so fingers crossed it should be taking place within the next couple of weeks and then they can start on re assembly.

The interior stripped out...

IMG_9101.jpg

IMG_9102.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom