Project C43 W202

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If you need any help with this just shout. I have had loads of experiance with C43's. I owned one for 7 years and converted about 7 to 55's. There is not much we havent done.
Cheers Olly, I have no doubt there is always something that needs to be done with cars of this era, but hopefully this will be minimal by the time it comes out of the bodyshop. It's having OEM brand new sills, doors, wings, bonnet and boot lid fitted and any remaining rust sorted out, so that should be the bodywork for a long while (he says).
Mechanically, it's running spot on for now, but thank you once again, shame you were not closer, but no doubt I will be calling on your expertise via here at some point.
Thank you once again.

Thanks for all the replies gents regarding indicators (I know 1st world problems :rolleyes:), orange it is then. The clear ones will of course be kept to one side for originality purposes.

For those interested, the garage taking on the body work resto, is Darlington Autospray who can be found here Mercedes-Benz Club.
I have no links with them and haven't used them previously for any repair/resto work, although not cheap they do come highly recommended for this type of work and are members of the MB club site with strong ties to Neville Wright (W124 captain, concourse judge and competitor), so if it's good enough for Neville who am I to question their abilities. :)

For those interested, the garage taking on the body work resto, is Darlington Autospray who can be found here Mercedes-Benz Club.
I have no links with them and haven't used them previously for any repair/resto work, although not cheap they do come highly recommended for this type of work and are members of the MB club site with strong ties to Neville Wright (W124 captain, concourse judge and competitor), so if it's good enough for Neville who am I to question their abilities. :)

Abb

Really looking forward to seeing the results. Without doubt, paint is the single biggest thing to get right. Good painters and quality paint will give you a car that people will notice for all the right reasons.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Abb

Really looking forward to seeing the results. Without doubt, paint is the single biggest thing to get right. Good painters and quality paint will give you a car that people will notice for all the right reasons.

Good luck.

My sentiments exactly Bruce. I know it could be done cheaper BUT I also know I have only got one shot at getting this absolutely right, especially with the cost and the heartache of sourcing the panels (which was a PITA), it would be foolish of me to try and save a few quid at this stage. Like you rightly point out, be noticed for the right reasons!
New panels, fresh paint and more importantly the right experienced team should be a winning combination. I still have more than two weeks until I can drop it off and only when its been stripped and fully assessed will I have any idea when I will be getting it back!
A rollercoaster of emotions coupled with excitement no doubt, in the interim period awaits. :)

My sentiments exactly Bruce. I know it could be done cheaper BUT I also know I have only got one shot at getting this absolutely right, especially with the cost and the heartache of sourcing the panels (which was a PITA), it would be foolish of me to try and save a few quid at this stage. Like you rightly point out, be noticed for the right reasons!
New panels, fresh paint and more importantly the right experienced team should be a winning combination. I still have more than two weeks until I can drop it off and only when its been stripped and fully assessed will I have any idea when I will be getting it back!
A rollercoaster of emotions coupled with excitement no doubt, in the interim period awaits. :)

If it helps. My shop used Glasurit Paint & Lacquer. Very expensive but the finished product was beyond any expectation I had. Two years on it still looks fresh.

308ea55a121cb0d8833448cfbe4a5483.jpg

Reactions: Abb
Can't wait to see the end result. The C43 was my first introduction to AMG, which i had for six years:) and sold it to Olly. What a great car.

Dragging this job out a bit aren’t you pal? We want to see it out on the road!

You're project had me pacing around my old (now my dads) C240 the weekend shaking my head at my ex pride and joy at the state my dad has let it become.

It's not his fault, although if he waxed it a bit more and stopped smoking in the car ..... :rolleyes: just saying.

I think we will both be drawing a lot of inspiration from you project when the time comes, which is pretty much when the temperature rises.

A bit of an update on this, dropped the car off on 3rd April and was told to expect a turnaround of 6-8 weeks. The bodyshop were going to strip the car and get it ready for the welding required before it returns to them for paint.
They outsource the welding repairs to a local company who they trust and carries out all their work.
So here she is awaiting her fate outside the workshop....
IMG_9063.jpg IMG_9065.jpg IMG_9066.jpg IMG_9067.jpg IMG_9068.jpg

Once welding is completed with brand new OEM sills (finding these is genuinely like looking for unicorn poo), then all the panels will be getting replaced. These consist of, all 4 doors, boot lid, bonnet, and front wings.
All the panels are brand new but some of them were old stock and had storage marks, nothing I could see TBH which would be an issue (more of that later).
I had difficulty sourcing one of the doors and had to bite the bullet and buy it from the stealer, who imported it from the fatherland at a cost of circa £600+! :(
One of the wings were also purchased from the stealer around £150 IIRC (it's been a while).
Two of the doors, 1 sill, 1 wing, and boot lid were purchased from.........Nick at Euromerc o_O

Having contacted Nick (yes it took some doing) and arranging to actually go all the way to Wales to collect said parts, I was a little peeved to say the least to find he didn't have some that he initially said he did (as in 2 wings, 3 doors), but hey ho, I was pleased I got some of the parts, so loaded them up in the back of the ML and headed back home.
As this transaction was carried out in a public car park, I didn't throughly check the parts over but they seemed fine with light storage marks, which was how Nick had described them. Yes it was a very long day but worth it.

In the balance of fairness, as I know he get's a lot of bad press, my dealings with Nick were positive.

So they haven’t touched it for nearly 4 weeks ?!

Sorry for any confusion, no Chris I am just updating the thread, the pics were taken 4 weeks ago!

The bonnet, 1 door, and 1 sill were sourced on eBay! I had already bought a aftermarket sill having given up all hope of sourcing a OEM one, so was delighted when one popped up.
Unfortunately the bonnet wasn't checked when it was delivered (I was away for 4 weeks) and was found to have a large dent in it, not creased more like it had been 'pushed' in and would 'pop' out, or so I thought. :(

Having contacted Nick (yes it took some doing) and arranging to actually go all the way to Wales to collect said parts, I was a little peeved to say the least to find he didn't have some that he initially said he did (as in 2 wings, 3 doors), but hey ho, I was pleased I got some of the parts, so loaded them up in the back of the ML and headed back home.

Which part of Wales is he in Abb? Happy to help out collecting etc if I’m passing by that way. :banana:

Progress is progress Abb and you start to see the finish line now. Looking good and you will have great fun in this car for years to come.

The car being stripped internally....
IMG_9101.jpg IMG_9102.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom