• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Prospective W211 Buyer

Jordypants1994

Hi all,

I've posted here before, back when my dad had a W211 in '09, which he then replaced with an ML ('59 reg), then a 2011 CLS, which we only had for a year before we had to get rid, as his business folded.

Cutting the story short, I'll be in my last year at uni next year and with my parents now divorced and both living abroad, it's been agreed that it's likely best I get a car so that I can visit my mum in Ireland (my dad is more or less out of the picture, and lives in Singapore) and my girlfriend down in Cornwall. I'm looking at a W211 E Class Estate, as I'll need the space for lugging my Aquarium, PC and other stuff from place to place.

However, I only have a budget of max £4k to play with, so I know I'll be looking at high mileage ones - as I'm aiming for a post-'06 as I understand the post-facelifts are generally more reliable. I'm not buying until early June/July, but I'm just deciding what's best now so I can watch the market (my alternative favourite is a Skoda Octavia 1.9 PD TDI) and get to grips with what to look for.

If anyone has any advice for what to look out for, or what to avoid I'd be really grateful. Like I said, I know I'll be looking at high-milers but I'm hoping that an E would be more reliable, and frankly being a little mature in my tastes I like the looks.

Thanks in advance,

Jordan

E.T.A. - Aiming for the 220CDI as opposed to the 320 or higher due to insurance etc.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I've posted here before, back when my dad had a W211 in '09, which he then replaced with an ML ('59 reg), then a 2011 CLS, which we only had for a year before we had to get rid, as his business folded.

Cutting the story short, I'll be in my last year at uni next year and with my parents now divorced and both living abroad, it's been agreed that it's likely best I get a car so that I can visit my mum in Ireland (my dad is more or less out of the picture, and lives in Singapore) and my girlfriend down in Cornwall. I'm looking at a W211 E Class Estate, as I'll need the space for lugging my Aquarium, PC and other stuff from place to place.

However, I only have a budget of max £4k to play with, so I know I'll be looking at high mileage ones - as I'm aiming for a post-'06 as I understand the post-facelifts are generally more reliable. I'm not buying until early June/July, but I'm just deciding what's best now so I can watch the market (my alternative favourite is a Skoda Octavia 1.9 PD TDI) and get to grips with what to look for.

If anyone has any advice for what to look out for, or what to avoid I'd be really grateful. Like I said, I know I'll be looking at high-milers but I'm hoping that an E would be more reliable, and frankly being a little mature in my tastes I like the looks.

Thanks in advance,

Jordan

E.T.A. - Aiming for the 220CDI as opposed to the 320 or higher due to insurance etc.

Facelift 211 should be fine. Auto will be fine too. Full service history essential and If you can try to get a reputable INDIE to check it out for you before you buy and then take it to him for regular servicing and maintenance.
Good luck and keep us posted with how you get on.

Regards
John

Facelift 211 should be fine. Auto will be fine too. Full service history essential and If you can try to get a reputable INDIE to check it out for you before you buy and then take it to him for regular servicing and maintenance.
Good luck and keep us posted with how you get on.

Regards
John

Cheers John. Just wondering, if I was to take a look at pre-facelifts, what would be key with those? It's just that there seems to be far more of them on the market under this price, so would broadening the search be detrimental?

Thanks,

Jordan

the i6 is more reliable than the v6 and the 5sp is simpler and more reliable and fixable than the 7sp.

as a 4 grand banger, like mine, i'd get a high spec higher mileage (mine has 211,000 miles so far). mine has airmatic, dynamic seats, 7 seats, kiddie seats built in, factory foldaway towbar..... and i paid 4.5k for it 18 odd months ago.

suspension linkages and arms can eat itself. its not expensive to fix in the scheme of things and is diy able.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to have a look at quotes for the bigger engine (320) as it seems the majority out there are with this engine. With regards to Comand/Audio 20, is it best to go for the Comand if possible or just the Audio 20? Either way I'd need to add bluetooth input if it hadn't already been added, so I'm wondering which of these it is easier to do this with?

A facelift 220 CDi with 5 speed box will be pretty much indestructible.

The S211 is a great vehicle, I've owned four, the class leading boot space, the comfort standard on long distances is exceptional, my favourite dash layout in any car ever (everything's symmetrical and flows so well).

I'd recommend you buy a high mileage facelift 220 CDI than a average mileage pre facelift solely because of the potential SBC cost risk, there is so little to go wrong with them other than wear and tear.

Unless you have a largeish slush fund, I'd probably avoid one with Airmatic as you can sometimes get large repair bills - although generally the air springs are quite robust.

This thread makes me feel old because I went to University to do a degree and my first year was 1994! :crazy:

Unless you have a largeish slush fund, I'd probably avoid one with Airmatic as you can sometimes get large repair bills - although generally the air springs are quite robust.

This thread makes me feel old because I went to University to do a degree and my first year was 1994! :crazy:

@JohnEBoy: I can imagine, that must be strange! I'm already a year older than most of my cohort, and that's weird for me in itself!

Thanks guys, I have to say as a forum this has to be the most attentive and helpful one I've come across. With regards to the 220, what years did that come with the 5 speed? My dad had an '08 E220 CDI, which I think had a 6 speed but I might be wrong. Also, what is 'SBC'? I'm imagining it's something to do with 'Body Control', some kind of suspension control system?

Finally, in terms of facelift, am I correct in thinking there was only the one, in 2006?

Thanks in advance (and sorry for the long post!),

Jordan

I know what you mean about the dash layout - I've yet to sit in anything that feels better designed. I must admit the new-gen CLS came close when dad had one, felt like a bank vault!

The six speed was the manual box, all W/S211 E220 autos were five speed, the 320 and 280 V6 CDI were 7G autos only.

SBC is Sensotronic Brake Control which is a fantastic system also used in the Maybach and SLR but on a 10+ plus year old E-Class Merc is a bit of a financial liability.

The six speed was the manual box, all W/S211 E220 autos were five speed, the 320 and 280 V6 CDI were 7G autos only.

SBC is Sensotronic Brake Control which is a fantastic system also used in the Maybach and SLR but on a 10+ plus year old E-Class Merc is a bit of a financial liability.

Thanks for clearing that one up! I thought it might be something like Active Body Control! I'll make sure to avoid that then.

Also, having run quotes for the 320 it's only another £100 for the bigger motor, but I'm wondering what the downsides to this are? I'm assuming economy will take the hit, as will tax, but is there anything to look out for on those, or am I better off sticking to the 220?

Thanks,

Jordan

sbc is a pump, which is about 600 quid iirc as a replacement. like an abs unit, but more complex. better braking too.

mine, with a starship mileage, still has plenty of life left in the pump (checkable with 'star' diagnostics)

Thanks for clearing that one up! I thought it might be something like Active Body Control! I'll make sure to avoid that then.

Also, having run quotes for the 320 it's only another £100 for the bigger motor, but I'm wondering what the downsides to this are? I'm assuming economy will take the hit, as will tax, but is there anything to look out for on those, or am I better off sticking to the 220?

Thanks,

Jordan

220 is as bullet proof as any engine can be, and has enough power to move a car full of stuff (remaps are available but will hit your insurance)

Mpg should be 10mpg better on a decent run (and around town) which on a student budget, you will notice, (even at a quid a litre)

I had a 220 (not in an e class) and it was faultless

320 would sound nice mind.....

If you're looking for bulletproof but a little bit agricultural, go for the 220.

If you want a refined, surprisingly frugal but slightly less reliable then go for the 320 CDi.

220 is as bullet proof as any engine can be, and has enough power to move a car full of stuff (remaps are available but will hit your insurance)

Mpg should be 10mpg better on a decent run (and around town) which on a student budget, you will notice, (even at a quid a litre)

I had a 220 (not in an e class) and it was faultless

320 would sound nice mind.....

I'm not too worried about power really, as it's all going to be motorway mileage really, with the odd run to the shop. It's only going to do about 10k a year, I'd go petrol but I really need the space and economy. I think with that in mind I'll stick to the 220.

Does anybody know of a decent indie in the Nottingham area (ideally with STAR diagnostics)? As much as I'd love to go with MB for servicing I know that their rates are insane, and a decent indie is usually somewhat better price-wise.

Thanks for the help,

Jordan

Jays' (Mercland) would be an hour away in Nuneaton

there may be / must be someone more local though...?

@JohnEBoy: I can imagine, that must be strange! I'm already a year older than most of my cohort, and that's weird for me in itself!

What I am really surprised at is when you joined the forum at 16?!

Were you in to Mercs back then or is something erroneous on the forum and you actually only recently joined?

sbc is a pump, which is about 600 quid iirc as a replacement. like an abs unit, but more complex. better braking too.

mine, with a starship mileage, still has plenty of life left in the pump (checkable with 'star' diagnostics)

What did you check using Star?

What I am really surprised at is when you joined the forum at 16?!

Were you in to Mercs back then or is something erroneous on the forum and you actually only recently joined?

What did you check using Star?

I did join at 16, my dad had recently bought an E220 at the time and we were trying to figure out how to integrate iPod functionality. I think we ended up with a Dension Gateway, which worked flawlessly.

I've been into Mercs since then really, did work experience in sales with the dealership back home and more or less sold my dad on the '11 CLS, which I wish we could have kept! I was always the odd one out with my friends in that regard - they all preferred BMWs and Audis, which I'm just not partial to (bar the classics). It's why I've automatically moved toward the W211, the Octavia II 1.9PD is my backup choice, but I prefer the W211 at this price point!

Thinking about audio etc, is there any simple way of integrating Bluetooth streaming & calls into a post-facelift car, or is the extra layout for COMAND worth it?

Thanks,

Jordan

JohnEBoy;2262874 What did you check using Star?[/QUOTE said:
the number of operations of sbc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom