Protection after bodyshop

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A correction (according to the level necessary from the condition in which it leaves the bodyshop) and a ceramic coating to ensure for around five years. He is recommending Miyaki + Zipang from Kamikaze.
kamikaze do some great coatings, ENRIE is the flagship coating, and less prone to water spotting, than other brands, I have Kamikaze Stance on my wheels and exhausts and works very well indeed.

kamikaze do some great coatings, ENRIE is the flagship coating, and less prone to water spotting, than other brands, I have Kamikaze Stance on my wheels and exhausts and works very well indeed.

I may up-sell myself for the sake of a couple hundred squid. Thanks for the feedback.

I popped in today and there are a few niggles to complete before the car is ready for collection tomorrow - mainly imperfections and such like. He assures me that it's all in hand.

The obsidian 'sheen' is evident though, in sunlight.

32789C82-2AA7-4B13-B43B-1D693C824F07.jpeg

Reactions: Abb
Could be a plan mate, let me know and I'll check out the freshly painted beasty! :)

Alternatively, I'll drive round after the job is done and introduce myself. It can't be bad to meet a fellow enthusiast! :)

So collection day came and went

2AE22B46-2277-47E6-B5B4-BE021769C541.jpeg

There are imperfections and a lack of finishing all over the place. I'm rather miffed by their lack of a final check prior to prepping it for release. They have assured me that it'll be attending to on Monday; I have had to bump back Ed at Divine - he was understanding and thankfully has a flexible schedule. Bugger.

B6CD02CC-2039-4FDF-ACBB-89B81540FD46.jpeg

36654AF2-2D97-4362-AAC5-775D33261030.jpeg

So collection day came and went

View attachment 99296

There are imperfections and a lack of finishing all over the place. I'm rather miffed by their lack of a final check prior to prepping it for release. They have assured me that it'll be attending to on Monday; I have had to bump back Ed at Divine - he was understanding and thankfully has a flexible schedule. Bugger.

View attachment 99297

View attachment 99298
I’m guessing you won’t be recommending this particular body shop then?! What a shame that they didn’t finish the job properly. Did you have to go round and mark up all those problem areas, or did they at least come clean about it?

I’m guessing you won’t be recommending this particular body shop then?! What a shame that they didn’t finish the job properly. Did you have to go round and mark up all those problem areas, or did they at least come clean about it?

As of yet, they haven't finished with the car, so I cannot give my final verdict.

They didn't exactly 'come clean' with the problems; I spotted 1, 2, 3 blemishes and issues and they rushed to attend to them (this was past the 12pm collection time as agreed and they close at 1pm...). Let's put it this way, unless I had persisted in spotting blemishes and pointing them out, they would've just waved me away.

Once I spotted that the accident repair on the o/s/r hadn't been finished satisfactorily, he then offered £100 off initially and when rejected, said that it isn't good enough and he isn't happy and it would have to be redone. Once that acknowledgement was given (that no adequate check had been conducted on the car, despite months since repair and flat and polishing by hand etc), I then suggested that we go round and spot everything - it was suggested that they would do it (once again, trying to shoo me away) but I suggested that I participate, so that we're on the same page. I then went round the car with one of the guys and marked up every imperfection that we spotted.

Already I know that the finish won't be to my standards - I would like to contextualise that I don't expect a bare metal restoration finish; but to release a car having failed to conduct a final assessment, despite my having popped in on Friday morning and having had the car for two months in order to do the job properly, is to me, disrespectful to both my time and custom. I would be rightly ashamed if I were the proprietor as it reflects badly on my operations.

As of yet, they haven't finished with the car, so I cannot give my final verdict.

They didn't exactly 'come clean' with the problems; I spotted 1, 2, 3 blemishes and issues and they rushed to attend to them (this was past the 12pm collection time as agreed and they close at 1pm...). Let's put it this way, unless I had persisted in spotting blemishes and pointing them out, they would've just waved me away.

Once I spotted that the accident repair on the o/s/r hadn't been finished satisfactorily, he then offered £100 off initially and when rejected, said that it isn't good enough and he isn't happy and it would have to be redone. Once that acknowledgement was given (that no adequate check had been conducted on the car, despite months since repair and flat and polishing by hand etc), I then suggested that we go round and spot everything - it was suggested that they would do it (once again, trying to shoo me away) but I suggested that I participate, so that we're on the same page. I then went round the car with one of the guys and marked up every imperfection that we spotted.

Already I know that the finish won't be to my standards - I would like to contextualise that I don't expect a bare metal restoration finish; but to release a car having failed to conduct a final assessment, despite my having popped in on Friday morning and having had the car for two months in order to do the job properly, is to me, disrespectful to both my time and custom. I would be rightly ashamed if I were the proprietor as it reflects badly on my operations.
Oh dear. Sorry to hear. I hope the experience doesn’t put too much of a dampener on the whole thing and that, by the time Ed has finished, the paint comes up spot on...

Oh dear. Sorry to hear. I hope the experience doesn’t put too much of a dampener on the whole thing and that, by the time Ed has finished, the paint comes up spot on...

I spoke with Ed and he'd be reluctant to polish back any nibs, as he wouldn't want to create a bald spot. Also, any divots are likely to have been the result of silicon in the oven air and he won't be able to do anything about them.

There's another thing - the bodyshop know that I had it booked in with a detailer so tried to palm off a lot of the resolutions to him. I politely explained that the more work done by Ed, the larger my bill!

An interim update. I didn't chase them at all this week, partially busy with work and partially wanting the problem to just go away as I was very disappointed in Saturday's outcome.

I received a call today from the proprietor and he told me that the bumper was being repainted and also flat and polished again. He said that any areas that require repainting would be done so and that the outcome would be to a high standard. He also sent me a photo and some videos.

B4DE9E50-5323-481D-92F8-D57A6C658BCA.jpeg

It was clear that he intends to make amends, has spoken with his team and says that my car has been playing on his mind this week. I can only take him at face value and hold my breath. I made it clear to him that I was disappointed because something that should've been a pleasurable experience has become a problem - I don't need more problems (who does?).

Mid week is what he's aiming for, I'm actually not looking forward to turning up just to be disappointed again.

Sorry to see all the problems your having buddy, I must admit I'd be extremely disappointed too, all good painters will flat off the clearcoat to get the ultimate finish, the quality of the of the oven that its painted in also has plays a major part in the process as they all have different extraction rates, depending on quality and how well those Booth's are maintained.

Another worry is how many times they are going to Flat and polish it? Obviously the more they do it, the less clearcoat you will have by then end of the process, but no matter how many times they do it, if the problems are from silicone it will need taking right back and ding again.

Got my fingers crossed they get it right this time round fella, are they giving you any kind of warranty on the work against further problems down the road?

I haven't enquired about warranty. What would one expect to receive?

I haven't enquired about warranty. What would one expect to receive?
general paint warranty would cover future defects appearing due to poor prep, clear coat failure, i.e solvent popping, blooming and even corrosion around door handles, locks, hinges etc

its not uncommon for defects to start appearing 6mnths from now, again this is usually down to poor base preparation, and or low quality products combined with the workmanship etc.

If I were you then its a question i would be asking, having that many paint defects fresh out of the shop is a really bad show, and if they are caused by silicone contamination then its very possible that you may have future problems.

I am astounded at the response of FB... the message this evening is that they are repainting both sides as they weren't good enough.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Today I received a call - the car should be ready tomorrow, just awaiting replacement chrome strips which broke when the rear bumper was removed for repainting. He says that he is very pleased with the car now and that it has been baked in the oven three times; that sounds great, but I'm not entirely certain on the significance of this other than hardened paint?

The point is that is seems as though it might be a proper job and he is standing by that, he was very pleased with his work when telling me over the phone - I'm not certain that I am willing to be impartial as I'm suffering a bit of 'Stockholm Syndrome' as it has been three and a half months!

Today I received a call - the car should be ready tomorrow, just awaiting replacement chrome strips which broke when the rear bumper was removed for repainting. He says that he is very pleased with the car now and that it has been baked in the oven three times; that sounds great, but I'm not entirely certain on the significance of this other than hardened paint?

The point is that is seems as though it might be a proper job and he is standing by that, he was very pleased with his work when telling me over the phone - I'm not certain that I am willing to be impartial as I'm suffering a bit of 'Stockholm Syndrome' as it has been three and a half months!

Good luck, i hope it's exactly how you would expect it to be and you'll soon be enjoying it again.:)

Baking paint helps with the curing time and speeds up the drying process so you shouldn't have to worry about soft paint, like you say hardening the paint. Some will still advise to give the car a month or two to let the paint finish gassing to be on the safe side but this usually depends on what type of paint is used. The best thing to do is ask the body shop but seeing as your taking it to Ed i'm sure it'll be in safe hands.

Un-related to car painting i do find that on the small parts i occasionally do now days baking the paint helps it form a better bond though like car detailing everyone seems to have there own adaptions and techniques. I have worked with guys that always warmed the metal, while others warmed the paint or both before applying ...... or just wait till the end and bake. The weather was always a big factor in there minds winter or summer would change them greatly due to temperature and humidity.

Anyway! Good luck again and hoping for some finished pictures.

Any update? :)

Hope it all works out for you in the end :cool:

I think that I'll bite the bullet and pay a visit tomorrow morning to see the results. Ed can't see me until September, so I'll find time to detail it myself until we return from Europe (lockdowns pending etc). Wish me luck lads, it's been emotional!

I think that I'll bite the bullet and pay a visit tomorrow morning to see the results. Ed can't see me until September, so I'll find time to detail it myself until we return from Europe (lockdowns pending etc). Wish me luck lads, it's been emotional!
Fingers crossed for you this morning!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom