• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Quickly Disable Keyless Go When Parked Up.

Reading this thread, it's striking how inconvenient these Keyless Go systems would seem.?
emoticon-0136-giggle.gif
Indeed. And I'm not aware of any way to disable it on my 2006 W221. I guess if I were to remove the starter button then the Keyless Go wouldn't work, but keyless entry could still be used by someone with one of those repeater/amplifier gizmos. And anyway, I like using the button!

I read that the key should be isolated from the metal of the 'cage'
Don't think so, mine has been in the "tin" for probably 4 or 5 years. Not only that there are 3 sets of keys for different cars in the "tin" most of the time

Don't think so, mine has been in the "tin" for probably 4 or 5 years. Not only that there are 3 sets of keys for different cars in the "tin" most of the time
Yeah, maybe it was the general principle of a Faraday cage, that the electronics being protected should be isolated. I think the key fob itself will usually provide that isolation around the internal electronics. I should probably check what I'm saying before spouting off like I'm an expert, but hey ho.

Reading this thread, it's striking how inconvenient these Keyless Go systems would seem.?
emoticon-0136-giggle.gif
Why? Because you have to press the button twice to disarm? Hardly takes more effort than pressing it once.

I always double press my lock button on the fob, and it disables the keyless entry on my car. But you must make sure this has been done on both keys to work.

If you unlock the car with key 1, and double lock with the with key 2, then key 1 will still be active and the car will open. So you need to double lock key 1 also. If you don't use key 1, and leave it in double locked mode, you only ever need to unlock and double lock with key 2, until you unlock the car with key 1. Each keys last action is remembered. I hope this makes sense.

Reading this thread, it's striking how inconvenient owners are making these Keyless Go systems.
emoticon-0136-giggle.gif
FTFY.

Yes, we know keylesss Entry/Start has its flaws but reading the above, it’s seems that we as owners are taking it a little too far.

Double tap your key fob and put the key in a metal tin/faraday pouch and test (if still not satisfied).

Must go now, I’m busy building an underground bunker, clad with egg cartons, bubble wrap and ferrero rocher wrappers.

Why? Because you have to press the button twice to disarm? Hardly takes more effort than pressing it once.
It does defeat the concept of “keyless” when you have to remember to “lock” the “automatic” unlocker/locker or keep in in a special little bag.

Because the thieves can intercept your signal anywhere, you really need to lock your key every time you leave your car unattended. Apparently they have spotters at carparks. After you leave your car, you will be followed by somebody who will intercept your key signal and relay it to an accomplice waiting at your car and off he goes.

If you don’t believe this - have a chat to the people at “Autowatch” who supply the “Ghost” immobiliser.

It does defeat the concept of “keyless” when you have to remember to “lock” the “automatic” unlocker/locker or keep in in a special little bag.

Because the thieves can intercept your signal anywhere, you really need to lock your key every time you leave your car unattended. Apparently they have spotters at carparks. After you leave your car, you will be followed by somebody who will intercept your key signal and relay it to an accomplice waiting at your car and off he goes.

If you don’t believe this - have a chat to the people at “Autowatch” who supply the “Ghost” immobiliser.
I wouldn't believe a company who makes security systems with an obviously exaggerated statement like that. The signal would never travel from a shopping centre to a car park, that's why they try it at your home.

I wouldn't believe a company who makes security systems with an obviously exaggerated statement like that. The signal would never travel from a shopping centre to a car park, that's why they try it at your home.
Perhaps you should do more research before you pooh-pooh what I say. Autowatch have an outstanding reputation.

The guys walks close to you, captures your signal and then has the ability to relay it to an accomplice. Well known. There is a device available on ebay that does pretty much the same. Radio control and telemetry for consumer drones can transmit data (including video) for several miles without any problem and it all fits in a small backpack or in the drone.

emoticon-0136-giggle.gif
If you consider having options "inconvenient", then sure :rolleyes:

1. More recent key fobs auto-disable after a couple of minutes anyway. Preserves battery and improves security.
2. Disabling the key is a matter of EITHER (depending on age, make and model):
a. Quickly double pressing "lock" (the keyfob lights up for a second), or​
b. Pressing and holding "lock" while quickly double pressing "unlock" (again the keyfob lights up for a second)​
3. Re-enabling the key is simple a case of pressing any button on it at any time.

Inconvenient? Far from it. If the key has gone to sleep, I just need to pick it up and it's enabled. If I disabled the key, I can enable it by pressing any button when I put it in my pocket. I can then grab my bags, and with both hands full, walk to the car, open it, and put the bags on the back seat. If I had a normal keyfob, I'd have to put the stuff down, unlock the car, pick it back up again...such a first world hassle that I don't need to bother with anymore, and that's what life's all about - little conveniences and options.

For everybody else reading though, definitely worth paying attention to point 2 above. I've seem forum posts where people are saying their key disable doesn't work, and that's because there are two different mechanisms now. Mine's on a 2023 A35 so reasonably new at the time of writing. The important thing is to note that they light stays on for a second.

Get a Ghost and never have to worry about keyless again. I even have my BMW set so that it locks/unlocks on approach/walk away.

Hi , on my C207 (2016) to lock the car I double click the key fob plus try to open the door.

50% of the time I have to reset the close mechanism.

If as I have seen people posing by over shoulder , between the legs locking could be infor a shock because the car might not be secured.

I also put my fobs in a Faraday pouch.

Hi , no immobilizer system is 100% scum proof.

I have an Thatcham approved immobilizer system , installer has to be approved. I use two steering wheel ( again Thatcham approved ) locks and all I hope that they will look at my car and go and steel your car.

Not very neighbourly I know !

Hi , no immobilizer system is 100% scum proof.

I have an Thatcham approved immobilizer system , installer has to be approved. I use two steering wheel ( again Thatcham approved ) locks and all I hope that they will look at my car and go and steel your car.

Not very neighbourly I know !

Only way my car is being stolen is by lifting it, without a lot of time taking it apart. Even with the key.

Only way my car is being stolen is by lifting it, without a lot of time taking it apart. Even with the key.
One of the members here had the front door of his house broken open by a gang and then threatened with violence in order to get the keys… Don’t think I would want them then threatening me to switch the immobilisation system off as well.

One of the members here had the front door of his house broken open by a gang and then threatened with violence in order to get the keys… Don’t think I would want them then threatening me to switch the immobilisation system off as well.

That's where solid wood doors with multi-point anti bump/anti snap main locks, and Chubb locks as a back up, come in. Pretty much guarantee I'll have the police here before anyone breaks into my house. Far too many people forget the house is a weak point when you have a nice car. I've also got four 4K cameras covering my drive with a security light and no rear access.

If you consider having options "inconvenient", then sure :rolleyes:

1. More recent key fobs auto-disable after a couple of minutes anyway. Preserves battery and improves security.
2. Disabling the key is a matter of EITHER (depending on age, make and model):
a. Quickly double pressing "lock" (the keyfob lights up for a second), or​
b. Pressing and holding "lock" while quickly double pressing "unlock" (again the keyfob lights up for a second)​
3. Re-enabling the key is simple a case of pressing any button on it at any time.

Inconvenient? Far from it. If the key has gone to sleep, I just need to pick it up and it's enabled. If I disabled the key, I can enable it by pressing any button when I put it in my pocket. I can then grab my bags, and with both hands full, walk to the car, open it, and put the bags on the back seat. If I had a normal keyfob, I'd have to put the stuff down, unlock the car, pick it back up again...such a first world hassle that I don't need to bother with anymore, and that's what life's all about - little conveniences and options.

For everybody else reading though, definitely worth paying attention to point 2 above. I've seem forum posts where people are saying their key disable doesn't work, and that's because there are two different mechanisms now. Mine's on a 2023 A35 so reasonably new at the time of writing. The important thing is to note that they light stays on for a second.
The quick 'double press' works on my 2017 e220 d AMG line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom