R1 29 Difficult to fill or faulty gauge?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redbaron

Banned
Hi all,

My SL seems to be a little recalcitrant when it comes to fuelling... It will seemingly only on odd occa leaving sions fill right to the top.... for example tried to brim it yesterday home and the pump just clicked and spluttered and wouldnt fill.. would barely take 11.5 litres from just below 3/4 mark on gauge...

Drove down to Gt Yarmouth - filled up to measure fuel consumption and sods law it fills right to the bloody top!!! So now I only did 28mpg on a run when i was expecting 30+ given it was a gentle stroll.... What is the knack of getting it to fill to the top or is my gauge telling porkies and it really did only 28mpg?

When checking fuel consumption by brimming the tank you need to:-

1 Use the same petrol pump at the same filling station before and after.
2 Be very careful not to spill fuel.

Even brimming the tank is subject to error: between the first click of the fuel pump and the top of the filler neck on my car can amount to 4 litres of fuel. To do this requires a steady hand and very gentle squeezing of the nozzle handle. In addition, if the car is on a gradient, bubbles can get trapped, reducing the capacity of the tank. Filling to the first click of the nozzle is not a reliable way to measure fuel consumption.

If I am testing consumption I will fill to the 3rd click and not insert the nozzle fully into the vapour trapping lid. Then I gently squeeze for another minute or so in order to see fuel at the level of the lid. Once almost full I will rock the car a little to see if the fuel settles and a few bubbles come out then add a little more.

I think the on board computers aren't bad but since my cars' computers are me, I have to do this now and again to satisfy my curiousity.

Dittrich

That sounded complicated.

I just push the nozzle in as far as it will go, and fill until it cuts out.

Then use the same nozzle again and do the same, and record miles driven.

It may only be 20 miles, it does not really matter as long as it is a typical journey and typical driving style, and engine is fully up to temp.

my car just seems to not want to fill properlry unless it is flat/ tilted towards the passenger side... bloody annoying but will live with it..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom