R129 - Soft Top replacement, recommendations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What a great thread a lots of investigating and the details from the materials, well done. We start upholstery last year, we did a few soft-tops for SL r129, we purchase from KHM, original specs and good materials.

Cm8awbV.jpg

I'll add to the thread resurrection as I was idly wondering the cost these days of a replacement SL roof. Are the figures quoted that have been here still realistic? Any other ball-park figures for planning/saving purposes?

The Blue one above looks great. I have a blue car which has a black roof, but I may be tempted to switch colour.

I did a replacement of my 1998 sl 500 hood several years ago, at the dealer and they charged me about 3.600£ and it was a day and a half of labour. the hood consists of two parts the back one and the top if i remember well...

I just went to get a quote on just having the windows replaced but the company said it would be false economy to replace the windows as he thought the soft top looked tatty (i guess he is somewhat right in that) and it would be £800+vat to replace the soft top. I had a smaller amount in mind for just the windows so am going to give it some thought, i guess it would look nice with a brand new soft top. and if it last as long as the original soft top it is good for another 19 years.

He did mention that if the softtop is not in a great condition you run the risk of tearing it during the removal/fitting process.

I agree that if the hood isn't good it makes sense to replace the whole thing - you're paying a significant amount of labour to have it all removed and re-fitted anyway.

Well for the benefit of anyone reading this thread I have just purchased this top - https://translate.google.co.uk/trans...e/&prev=search

Well I decided against KHM, a decision I may come to regret but I hope not, genuine MB hoods are only available in black at £1271 + VAT. They no longer have any stock of blue hoods as I did enquire with my local dealer.

I decided to go with the roof from Markus Huber on ebay, two reasons for this. One being the lower price, having spoken to my MB dealer and found out how much new window seals and cables are, basically £360 + VAT each side, so I revised my budget for the top itself. This wouldn't have been the sole reason for changing my mind. Clearly having sensed my difficulty in communicating with him by message Mr. Huber telephoned me on my mobile phone at work. He basically assured me that the roof I would receive would be as close to the original as possible. Apparently the reason why several manufacturers are shying away from Wopavin rear windows and going to the Renolit ones is, so I'm told, Wopavin are no longer made in Switzerland but in China and the quality has apparently suffered?
I won't know if it's a hit or a miss until such time as it's fitted on 31/05/2017 - 01/06/2017 but I'll keep you posted.
smile.gif

Excellent, I got my days in a muddle my car actually goes in on 30th May and should be ready by the end of 31st May. One day may not sound like much but I will be so happy not having to look at the disgusting rear windows on my current top. I've ordered the seals, cables and rain deflector (rubber lip) from my local dealer and now I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas to come. In less than a fortnight my car should be pretty much how I want it cosmetically, wheels done, front wings and new roof done. It will then be time to embark on preventive maintenance starting with renewing the suspension bushes front and rear etc. It's never going to be concours as it's my only car and it is on a budget but it should certainly be a reasonably straight and tidy example. :D

Do keep us posted! I still haven't replaced my top yet but I'm not sure I'll get another summer out of it after this one.

Do keep us posted! I still haven't replaced my top yet but I'm not sure I'll get another summer out of it after this one.

I just find the milky and split rear windows not only disgusting to look at but causing me issues when reversing my car into my garage as I can't see clearly through them. So even though it doesn't leak water, I've glued the splits in the windows, sadly I just couldn't put up with it for another year. I'll post some photos when it's done. :)

The little cracks that appear at the edges of the plastic windows (on the fold line) may creep very slowly but the hood is under significant tension when up and one day you will find this suddenly happens!

My hood was in excellent condition so I just had the windows replaced.

The little cracks that appear at the edges of the plastic windows (on the fold line) may creep very slowly but the hood is under significant tension when up and one day you will find this suddenly happens!

My hood was in excellent condition so I just had the windows replaced.

If my hood had been in better condition I would have done the same but the piping along the back edge is frayed most of the way across and there are a couple of points on the front section where the frame is that the material has worn through the top layer so it was all or nothing. :D

Yes if in any doubt then you might as well replace the whole hood as there's a lot of labour involved either way!

Well it's done, not a moment too soon as I'd had to put up with the tatty old roof since buying the car last July, it's such a pleasure to have rear windows you can see through. All in all with buying the roof, replacing the two vertical seals, four of the six cables, and having it fitted its cost me £1200
DSC_5799.jpg

DSC_5800.jpg

:)

That looks great, the rear window in particular.

Last edited:
Looks smart, will the wrinkles drop out of the sides? I've seen one or two like this.

Looks smart, will the wrinkles drop out of the sides? I've seen one or two like this.

To be honest I'm not sure, I didn't really notice them as I think the original hood was like that as well. I'll have a look when I go out to the car next, if it hasn't I'll ask the guy who fitted it although he said he was happy with it and he's experienced in fitting R129 roofs and has a good reputation so if it's wrong I'm sure he'll sort it out. :)

Hood Split R129 SL60

I've followed this great post and been thinking about my options to replace my hood in a couple of years time but when I opened up the roof last week for the first time of the year (its Scotland!) the rear window has split right across.

The rest of the hood is in generally good condition and I have found a local trimmer in Scotland who knows what he is talking about and has previously fitted customer supplied Gurit Wo Pavin to SL's.

So question is does anybody have the contact details of the supplier in Germany either Gurit or KHM or who?

Thanks in advance
Les

mine last night

booked in to be repaired on the 15th

hoping for warm weather are more importantly no rain till then!!

Attachments

• IMG_1034.jpg
    IMG_1034.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 21

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom