R230 SL 350 knowledge

• Thread starter Deleted member 37751
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm sure you can buy it, drive it for a couple of months and sell it for a profit or evens at worst. I guess it's more the time (and hassle) involved in selling it than anything else
Probably could but doesn’t make much sense in the cold light of day if I’m being honest, my flooring company has got three mahoosive jobs starting early June and I’ll have enough on my plate without trying to sell an SL! :D

List them I could only see a couple.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
I'm thinking 1-5 and 8? The drains may be in slightly different postions and the boot seal leak has only been reported a couple of times on the US forums but worth checking.

I'm thinking 1-5 and 8? The drains may be in slightly different postions and the boot seal leak has only been reported a couple of times on the US forums but worth checking.
No the R231 does not generally have the drain issues of the R230, mine have remained clear and working over 5 years with no damp issues at all, no ABC issues (unless AMG), no rust issues they are aluminium, batteries do not drain like the R230, makes sense to check everything electrical works as you would any car but finding the R231 totally trouble free.

The only issue is the DAB on the radio, older models need a software update but that is about it.

The R230 is prettier externally but my advice would be buy an R231 if you can afford the current purchase price as you save a lot of running expense and get 99% reliability.

No the R231 does not generally have the drain issues of the R230, mine have remained clear and working over 5 years with no damp issues at all, no ABC issues (unless AMG), no rust issues they are aluminium, batteries do not drain like the R230, makes sense to check everything electrical works as you would any car but finding the R231 totally trouble free.

The only issue is the DAB on the radio, older models need a software update but that is about it.

The R230 is prettier externally but my advice would be buy an R231 if you can afford the current purchase price as you save a lot of running expense and get 99% reliability.

Because the R231 doesn't generally have the drain issues doesn't mean they shouldn't be checked, my R230 doesn't have drain issues but I still check them. Is the R231 body all aluminium? Most of the R230 is but the rear wings are steel. ABC and consumer batteries aren't an issue with the R231 as you say.

Because the R231 doesn't generally have the drain issues doesn't mean they shouldn't be checked, my R230 doesn't have drain issues but I still check them. Is the R231 body all aluminium? Most of the R230 is but the rear wings are steel. ABC and consumer batteries aren't an issue with the R231 as you say.
Yes the R231 is all aluminium the only exception being the windscreen frame, it is a lot lighter than the R230 partially how they got better performance and fuel consumption.

Never needed to check my batteries and have left it over 3 weeks and starts first turn even with 4 year old batteries. I have read of substantial R230 battery drains and many owners use a trickle charger especially if it is not on daily use.

I'm 12 months in with my R231 which has been totally trouble free. I don't know how old my batteries are but i suspect they are original.

The thread is not quite correct. Aluminium is used for the bonnet, boot lid, front wings, doorskins and rear bulkhead. Magnesium alloy is used for the inner door shells.

Which is exactly as shown in the diagram. Most of the Aluminium is used in bolt on parts, whereas the floor, chassis, bulkhead etc are all steel. The R231 is mostly Aluminium with a composite boot lid and a magnesium roof frame. The only steel used in main construction is in the windscreen frame which is galvanised. This weight saving along with better engines reduced the emissions significantly.

Last edited:
My R231 has had headlight ECU issues. Needs a new one for right headlight - 50% contribution from MBUK as car 9 months out of 3 year warranty.

Electric wind deflector was replaced under warranty as netting was catching.

Headlights frequently mist inside but always dries out eventually

nothing else.

My R231 has had headlight ECU issues. Needs a new one for right headlight - 50% contribution from MBUK as car 9 months out of 3 year warranty.

Electric wind deflector was replaced under warranty as netting was catching.

Headlights frequently mist inside but always dries out eventually

nothing else.
Wow that is bad luck, how much was the headlight ECU?

Don't worry found it, £600 fitted.

Hi

I have just joined the Forum and was informed of this thread which I found very interesting and enlightening, from what I have read I appear to be considering the purchase of the 230, I only know the car as an SL350 but you seem to cover both SL's

I was looking at an SL350 2011 with 70k miles, some say 'lots of miles' buy I think not for a Mercedes or for a car like this, with one lady owner and full Main dealer service history, it was listed at nearly 20k.

That must be one of the last R230 as the R231 launched in 2012 with the SL350. This was replaced in 2013 with the SL400 as the SL350 was considered too underpowered by Mercedes, not sure how the R230 stacks up performance wise but you may want to look at both models against budget of course...

That must be one of the last R230 as the R231 launched in 2012 with the SL350. This was replaced in 2013 with the SL400 as the SL350 was considered too underpowered by Mercedes, not sure how the R230 stacks up performance wise but you may want to look at both models against budget of course...

The r230 info refers to the engine being 3724cc, I understood the engine was a 350.. 3.5ltr, unless I have misunderstood
the acceleration is shown as 7.2 & 5.9 respectively between the two years.

r230
SL (2003 - 2014) All Models | Mercedes Enthusiasts

r231
R231 SL350 Performance Facts | SL MPG - BHP - Torque

In the real world 0-60 time is irrelevant as we all travel at the same speed. I get high 30's around town and nearly 40mpg on a run.

I'm not just saying this as i own one but for 20k you would be able to get into a R231. The technology, interior etc is leagues ahead. Test both before making a decision

The R230 SL350 is a 3.7l V6, the R231 is a 3.5l V6. I would ignore the mpg figures quoted on the R231 site.

I went and took a look at the V5C which records the SL350 as type 230 with a 3.5 engine, are there variants?

There are both 3.7 and 3.5 engines in the R230, SL350. The 3.5 engines are in later cars. They are the ones that suffer from timing gear problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom