Rain and light sensors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sp!ke

Administrator
Car
SL500 & The Fart Car
I've just been speaking to an Autoglass fitter working on a C class outside my work.

Basically, according to this fitter, the C class windscreens are now one size fits all. Meaning that regardless of original spec, all replacement windscreens will have rain sensors and light sensors fitted. ;)

I wonder how much to retrofit the rest of the kit would be? I hope none of you will be accidently dropping something on your windscreen after reading this.

smash ... what were you saying?

Ive got the space for the rainsensor on my screen. Its currently got a blanking plate on it.

i wonder....

Its not really worth it considering a new rainsensor is only about £70 and a windscreen is £50:D

Originally posted by Sp!ke
I've just been speaking to an Autoglass fitter working on a C class outside my work.

Basically, according to this fitter, the C class windscreens are now one size fits all. Meaning that regardless of original spec, all replacement windscreens will have rain sensors and light sensors fitted. ;)

I wonder how much to retrofit the rest of the kit would be? I hope none of you will be accidently dropping something on your windscreen after reading this.

Sp!ke . . . are we talking 202 or 203 here ?

S.

having read again . . . you're right ! ( I know Graham has a rain sensor in his 202 though ! - dont think they ever fitted a light sensor :( )

Dunno whether its 202 or 203...I understood him to mean all C classes. lemme check outside which model it was he was working on.

Whats the easy way to tell.

Whats the easy way to tell.
between a w202 and a w203? Shoebox shaped headlights on the 202, peanut shaped headlights on the 203. Shoebox shaped door mirrors on the 202, curved indicating doormirrors on the 203.

Well the model in question was PEANUT on a 'Y' plate

Originally posted by Shude
between a w202 and a w203? Shoebox shaped headlights on the 202, peanut shaped headlights on the 203. Shoebox shaped door mirrors on the 202, curved indicating doormirrors on the 203.

I think my 202 might confuse some people then, as it has curved folding, indicating door mirrors

:bannana:

(no peanuts though . . . . :rolleyes: )

Originally posted by sym
I think my 202 might confuse some people then, as it has curved folding, indicating door mirrors

:bannana:

(no peanuts though . . . . :rolleyes: )

Not as half as confusing as the W202 that Graham videoed at the last GTG. The owner had put on a W203 front :crazy: I think G., named his vid 'w20x.wmv' ;)
Well the model in question was PEANUT on a 'Y' plate
That'll be a W203 then :)

S.

I've got a new CLK320 which has both as standard. DON'T BOTHER.

The light sensor turns the lights on when totally unnecessary.

The rain sensor is far too enthusiastic. About once a day it gives a single wipe, even when the nearest cloud is 100 miles away. :eek:

When it does rain, it is so over enthusiastic, even in the very very lightest of rain the blades usually go at top speed juddering back and forth across the windscreen in a frenzy :bannana: :bannana:. I am then forced to turn it off and manually give it a flick every 20 seconds or so :( . I am so disappointed in it I am considering fitting an intermittent controller to it and forgetting the rain sensor. :mad:

Does anybody know if the sensitivity for these two systems is adjustable?

The way the rainsensor circuit is designed on the 202 and 203 anyway is if you unplug the rainsensor it just goes back to intermittent on position 1

On the ML, the dealer can program the intermittant wipe to be rain sensor activated or on a timer.

maybe the same is available on all newish cars?

My rain sensors are the opposite, they wait until it's virtually impossible to see through the screen before starting up and when it's raining heavily they stop and go to intermittent every so often. It had to go back to the dealer early on as it would never move out of very slow intermittent regardless of how heavy it was raining, and has been back again only for the dealer to tell me " it's how it should be now, you just need to get use to it"! Yes, what a good idea - I should adapt to it rather than the other way round.

Auto lights and rain sensors - total waste of money and engineering, I'd rather have something that was useful

Cheers
Andy

I love the auto lights, I leave them on auto all the time, they do come on early in low light but that doesn't bother me.

My auto wipers also have a mind of their own, wipe when its sunny, and seem too sensitive generally. When it was delivered I complained they weren't sensitive enough and the dealer adjusted them and now its the opposite.

My rain sensor is just right :D

No need for a light sensor.

Have Xenons = show them off all the time regardless :D :D

I quite enjoy my auto lights and wipers, although I find the lights come on far too early...The wipers are wonderful...no complaints.

I would have thought, I would have been able to set the Mirrors to automatically fold...But I do not think this option exists on the 203.

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom