Re-registering Golf, thats not on SORN database?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny705

Car
Vito 120
I have a Golf GTI, which has been garaged for 18 years, in my Mums name.
It never got on SORN database and I obviously never have scrapped it as such.

If I take it for an MOT, will it still come up on their computer do you think?
And if not how do you go about re-registering it?

It must be do-able as you get 'Barn Find' cars all the time , any help would be appreciated.

If it was never recorded as 'scrapped'? then I would expect it be fine to MOT it. That would be my first port of call. If in doubt, try calling your local MOT garage, they should be able to tell very quickly if it is 'live' on the database.

Or.

You could call the DVLA direct and explain your situation. Have tea and biscuits at the ready as they can take a long time to answer. Once they do answer they are usually very helpful (in my experience). There may even be an email request form now?

This should not be a headache as it is a fairly common event.

Or. Try inputting your Registration into 'Mycarcheck' online and see if it knows the car. That is good indicator of it being on the DVLA database?

Do let us know how you get on. Sounds like a nice car.

I think you'll be ok. Try using the "is my car taxed" or MOT history sites, if it's comes up it's still on their system. I've looked cars up I had years ago on the tax one and it's come back when it they were last taxed in the nineties.
Thinking about it I don't think the MOT one will be any good to you,but try the tax one.

If it was untaxed before 31st Jan 1998 and has remained so, then no SORN would have been required.

However, that shouldn't affect its registration on the DVLA database, it should still exist and therefore be MoT-able. A few years back I put an old BMW back on the road that hadn't been taxed since 1991 - just took it for MoT, no discussions with DVLA whatsoever.

Last edited:
If it was untaxed before 31st Jan 1998
If I remember correctly, the main reason that for the Jan 1998 deadline was so that the DVLA could "claim" ownership of all registration numbers that weren't taxed and then offer them up for sale as and when they wanted without fear of someone with a barn find wanting to claim the number on that car. If the original registration on the Golf is just run of the mill then you could tax it under the original plate, if it's got a plate like BOR I S then you might have a problem.:D

As long as it has a number plate , you can take it for an MOT ; even without one you can MOT against the chassis no .

Mot'd my car on the chassis number when I brought it back in from Jersey in 2014, interestingly the 2014 details do not show on the MOT history on the DVLA site

Please do let us know how you get on. My Dad has an old Toyota FJ40 in his shed since past 20 years. He bought it new in something like 1979. He asked me something similar a while back about how to find out if it is on any database the DVLA have.....your query just brought it back into my head!

Thanks for advice :)

Just checked it on the DVLA database and its come up as needing to be taxed the 01 August 2000!
Hope they won't back date it, imagine that ?

Had a bad RTA in 2000 and had my licence medically revoked for nearly 3 years, only had just bought the golf so never got to drive it really-just stashed it away - out of sight ,out of mind .

Was going to put it back on the road as got a quote for less than £150 for insurance , and thought it would be tax free - but have to wait 40 years for that now :(

So as its now worth more than what I paid ,might as well do it up and sell it, it's a 3 door Black 16 v and engine is really sweet- started and ticked over perfect after 17 years has about 145k on it.

Will start stripping callipers first as they are sized, then see what it drives' like :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom