Rear brake pads C63 W205

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OEM Pads and discs if I am not mistaken are made by Brembo anyway. The issue I had with finding non MB parts was for the front discs, there wasn't any! In the end i just went complete MB, looks better from a service history perspective IMO.
Thanks everyone for the replies, I am definitely going to my own. I did them (and discs) on my 997 Turbo, and other than leaving a bungee strap attached to the suspension to be found at the next service :rolleyes:, they were straightforward.

In terms of MB, i think the pads are made by TRW, who also make a lot of parts for Porsche. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has used Brembo and whether they reduce the brake dust?

I have a set of rear pads for a CLS63 if anyone wants them...just refund for the postage and they're yours. Almost identical to the W204 C63 aside from a small notch for the metal backing plates.
As said previously, honestly - change them yourself. It's easy to do.
@Nickj - from memory, new pads wer 8mm so you're only halfway through the life.
I have seen MOT advisories at 2.5mm

I did mine recently after MB advised after MOT and quoted similar price of ~400. Its a straight forward brake pad job if you have done any brakes previously and only difference being to set the rear caliper position through the service menu.

The issue I had was that my rear wheels were stuck fast to the hub and really took a lot of effort to work them off.

Usually stick to MB parts and have done previously for brakes however on this occasion I bought inexpensive ABS branded pads on their own from buycarparts. I have done ~ 2k and they have been fine.

If you want to torque correctly the lower of the 2 main bolts each side are difficult to reach with a standard torque drive wrench and socket. You really need spigot torque wrench with 13mm ring end.

I've seen YouTube clips on how to set the calipers and that looks straightforward. Do you have to wind the pistons back in or do they simply push back in?

Yeah it is easy enough to get into the service menu for the brake rewind and just make sure the handbrake is off. The caliper can be pushed back - I used one of those ratchet type spreader tools.

My 2018 c63 has its first year service today. Says rear pads Amber 4mm.

I presume this is 4mm left? What’s a new pad have? No way I will be paying mb to change them. My biggest gripe is the awful brown dust they make. I’m trying not to move away from oem but I think I am going to be forced to Change the pads at least to stop the brown dust. Anyone know what pads are good on dust?

Have seen the Brembo ones on Euro car parts. £85 at the mo as 50% off. Would these be better on dust and do they come with sensors and bits required for the swop?

I’m thinking these pads and oem discs when the time comes for £195 ish from merc newcastle on eBay.
Search my threads on Akebono brake pads for almost zero dust (not available in UK..sorry) and you will find others have suggested alternatives that are UK available.

Thanks everyone for the replies, I am definitely going to my own. I did them (and discs) on my 997 Turbo, and other than leaving a bungee strap attached to the suspension to be found at the next service :rolleyes:, they were straightforward.

In terms of MB, i think the pads are made by TRW, who also make a lot of parts for Porsche. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has used Brembo and whether they reduce the brake dust?
When i replaced my (very dusty) pads they were TRW. I fitted Brembo OEM discs and the afore mentioned Ankebono pads with great results, but as said , the pads are not widely available in the UK but are well priced and widely available in the USA...if you happen to know someone who is popping out there this summer.

PP- can you linky me as keep searching and can’t find any thread other than saying ankeboni are Rubbish?

Hi,

Newbie here... just bought a c63 wagon 2008 and had to change the rear discs and pads

Set of rear pads and discs by Brembo from autodoc £196!

Got an indie to fit for a further £160

Screenshot_31_07_2019__16_20.jpg

London prices i’m Afraid!

Screenshot_20191116-082612_Gallery.jpg
I have been recently driving my car like it is a track car and received a reward in the form of a "check brake pad wear" dash warning. I'd appreciate any thoughts on whether I'll be able to drive a few hundred miles before I completely wear the pads out or should I replace them immediately? I'm 300 miles from home :)

Hi, as it clearly states they are just low and not 'DO NOT USE' etc etc my guess you'll be absolutely fine. I would drive home without hesitation, no problem.
Having said that you don't want to be doing any repeated high speed stops, the heat will build up in thin pads quickly and that will make the pedal feel very ineffective.

Good luck, Matt :thumb:

Hi, as it clearly states they are just low and not 'DO NOT USE' etc etc my guess you'll be absolutely fine. I would drive home without hesitation, no problem.
Having said that you don't want to be doing any repeated high speed stops, the heat will build up in thin pads quickly and that will make the pedal feel very ineffective.

Good luck, Matt :thumb:
Thanks Matt
I dropped the car off today at merc Epsom, they were so slow that they took 25+ minutes just to collect the keys from me. The lady I spoke to mentioned that pads usually go after 10k miles on most models and 17k miles is a pat on the back achievement. I'm not sure I agree with her :)

Thanks Matt
I dropped the car off today at merc Epsom, they were so slow that they took 25+ minutes just to collect the keys from me. The lady I spoke to mentioned that pads usually go after 10k miles on most models and 17k miles is a pat on the back achievement. I'm not sure I agree with her :)
How much did they charge you for the privilege?

How much did they charge you for the privilege?

Not even sure yet. I asked them to check whether it is a faulty sensor and to get the green light from me before they decide to replace any parts. Will update as soon as they get back to me

By way of update, the dealer informed me that the rear pads were approx 90 percent worn. Replacement rear pads including labour came to approx gbp390 including roughly gbp 80 of labour.

good luck ! btw how many miles on the clock ?

mine were 50 percent worn at 10k miles apparently
Someone on YouTube said it’s because the parking brake always applies when you open the door when the brakes are hot. Causes excess bake wear. In my previous C 43AMG W202, I only applied the parking brake on the hill and the brakes lasted 60,000 miles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom