Rear ended yesterday but third party refusing to pay

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Glad to hear that you were a grown up about this and resisted the urge to get all legal over it out of some misguided principles.

Simlar thing happened to son except she reversed into his transit while parked up damaging front corner bumper and managing to split washer bottle,i looked at damage and said I could use second hand parts and sort out for around 100 -150 if new parts were needed.told women the price and she refused saying her boyfriend didn't think my lad was insured went through insurance and cost her a lot more including her 350 voluntary excess,needed full front bumper as new piece didn't match original (that's main dealer for you)plus replacement van rental I would have snapped his hand off the other way round.

Such a shame. It was so good of you not to claim on insurance! You really did her a fabour

Maybe you should claim. Surely it would cost the other party a lot more!

It's a tricky one as the dad is understandably believing his daughter, who being a new driver probably has little concept of the potential damage caused. Visually not much but enough to be problematic.

That said for the sake of going through insurance £230 is a cheap resolution! Perhaps present him with a receipt and details of the work.

I had a guy scuff my car about ten years ago. I drove straight from the incident to my preferred bodyshop and got a quote of £350!

I told the guy and he said to go through insurance and wouldn't be admitting liability. I was stationary at the time and he drove over the pavement, my claim was successful and his insurance took a hit. Fool should have paid out on the quote in the first place.

Good luck OP, i would try meeting the guy and explaining face to face with a receipt.

So the guilty party gets away with it.

Being belligerent is worth it, it seems.

Shame.

Last edited:
One thing to remember is that if you don't go through the insurance and work it out between you . You should still report it to your insurance . As when you renew the question they ask is any accidents or claims in the last twelve months , if you say no you are lying to your insurance company and if found out your insurance could be void. I know i know every body does it . Just saying .

One of the reasons I like a tow bar on the back of my car. If someone rear ends me they will get noticeably damaged. Unfortunately on my current car it is an electric foldaway unit so cannot be seen.

I once got rear ended whilst driving a Bedford CF camper, the OP reversed and drove off down the road laughing. They hadn't noticed the rear step on the CF had gone straight through their radiator and that no damage was done to the CF.

One of the reasons I like a tow bar on the back of my car. If someone rear ends me they will get noticeably damaged. Unfortunately on my current car it is an electric foldaway unit so cannot be seen.

I once got rear ended whilst driving a Bedford CF camper, the OP reversed and drove off down the road laughing. They hadn't noticed the rear step on the CF had gone straight through their radiator and that no damage was done to the CF.

He's probably still looking for the guy that reversed into him.

Ernie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom