Rear Subframe for a W204???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My GFs 2009 SLK failed the test last year because of a rusty rear subframe. Mercedes replaced it no problems for free !
My question is, should I even trust this vehicle anymore? Anyone know of any similar issues that could also be a problem? I have a small window of time that I might get the dealership to get me out of this car and into a newer one. I’d love to have another potential issue to point out, once they respond with their findings and solution. Thanks.

It transpires that the rust is the last of my worries, looking from the underside, there's a crack all around the subframe "arm". It looks like a weak / dodgy weld has broken... More sure if the corrosion was pre or post the break though.

Not really sure what's holding everything together right now other than hope. Waiting for Mercedes to come back to me next week.
Anything ever come of this?

My 220 is only 9 years old and the rear subframe has rotted beyond repair I'm going to try to get Mercedes to repair/replace it my question is is it easy to get them to do it and do I need to contact the dealership the car was brought from?
Thanks

You say cant be welded?
Call one of large Mercedes breakers like dronsfield or prestige and they will be able to find you the right part.

Last edited:
You say cant be welded?
Call one of large Mercedes breakers like dronsfield or prestige and they will be able to find you the right part.
The subframe is well beyond repair needs replacing
Thanks for the tip
I've seen a couple of comments on here saying Mercedes replaced free of charge as it seems to be a common fault so maybe I'll give that a go

I've seen a couple of comments on here saying Mercedes replaced free of charge as it seems to be a common fault so maybe I'll give that a go
It’s definitely worth taking it up with an MB dealer, under the terms of the 30-year corrosion warranty. You don’t need to take it to the dealer that supplied it, although if you have a good relationship with them already then that could be beneficial.

There was a thread on here last year that detailed a successful claim, which seemed to have been dealt with quickly and with little fuss. Good luck, and please let us know the outcome.

It’s definitely worth taking it up with an MB dealer, under the terms of the 30-year corrosion warranty. You don’t need to take it to the dealer that supplied it, although if you have a good relationship with them already then that could be beneficial.

There was a thread on here last year that detailed a successful claim, which seemed to have been dealt with quickly and with little fuss. Good luck, and please let us know the outcome.
Thanks for your help mate I'm gonna give them a ring I'll update when I have some info

Premium maker, why not make subframes from aluminum , They dont want the car to last long apparently

Premium maker, why not make subframes from aluminum , They dont want the car to last long apparently
There are many reasons for materials choice in engineering situations, and corrosion resistance of the base material is only one of them. Aluminium is far from a guaranteed better choice.

Thanks for your help mate I'm gonna give them a ring I'll update when I have some info
Spoke.to Mercedes customer service after failing to get through to anybody at a dealership and they said that in some cases it can be fixed under warranty but the car has to be taken to a dealership for a merc engineer to inspect it
The car is undrivable so would have to go to them on a low loader and then if they say no I would have to get it taken away in a low loader so I think I'm just gonna pay for a repair I've managed to find a used sub frame with warranty for £420 so gonna try thus way

My 2010 C350 Cdi just got back from its annual service and MOT. Was informed that whilst the rear subframe had passed the MOT, during the inspection of the undercarriage the technicians spotted a hole (using a mirror) caused by corrosion in my rear subframe. They also told me in the same breath that this was being covered by Merc UK, apparently there is an issue about the quality of material used in the rear subframe on a specific age range and model that they are replacing with a newer, better quality equivalent. The fact they were looking for it with the mirror tells me that the dealerships know about it.

So first things first, if you've got a corroded rear subframe take it to your nearest Merc dealership and get them to speak with Merc Head Office.

I was told it would cost £1400 and take 3 days to repair - not only are they doing that for free but I'm getting a courtesy car free of charge for the duration of the repair! The only caveat I'll put in here is that I've had the car from 18 months old, and she's always been serviced by my local Merc dealership so has the full electronic service stamp record. Not sure if that will affect Merc UKs view of paying for the full repair.

Hi.... after reading through these threads I thought I would add maybe some help. I bought a 57plate C280 MB AMG in June this year, It had only done 51000 and I’ve added 4000 since then with having to do a ‘staycation’. The car is in mint condition throughout. I usually have my own mechanic who comes to my home to service and repair my past cars and has looked at a couple of minor things on this this recent car. Driving back from a weekend away my partner (who was driving my car) notice the car was pulling to the left when breaking, by the time we arrived home home it was also rattling. I called my mechanic the next day and he came out to look and said the rear subframe had rusted and come away. He said it also looks like it had happened to the other side in the past but that had been welded. He couldn’t fix it so recommended a garage that could but said it will be costly. After doing some research partner said maybe I should try the MB dealership as it looks like it could be a known fault with this age of car and make use of the 12 year anti corrosion warranty. So being a women ‘sorry guys but hey’ I better prepare myself for a fight so armed myself with some knowledge and did my own research and hence coming across this forum after reading through these threads, very helpful, I rang and booked my car in. I didn’t tell them what I knew about the subframe just that the car was pulling to the left and rattling coming from the rear . Dropped it off on Wednesday morning of this week, they sent through a video the next day by txt showing the underneath of the car, which again looks in good condition until reaching the rear where you could see the rust and broken subframe and the welding on the other side.
MB dealership rang later that Thursday morning to say.... that they will repair with no cost to myself!! I didn’t have to say anything!! My partner nearly fell of the sofa!!
So it’s there now being repaired... plus a couple of other things which have nothing to do with the subframe .... didn’t expect to get away completely cost free.... Will report on how it all went when I pickup either Tuesday or Wednesday.

MB dealership rang later that Thursday morning to say.... that they will repair with no cost to myself!! I didn’t have to say anything!!
Good to know. Who’s the dealer, by the way? Hughes?

Oh, and welcome to MBClub - glad you found the info here helpful.

Thanks for the welcome...
Okay.....so a follow up on the subframe..... picked my car up yesterday afternoon and very pleased with how it all went. Besides the couple off extras that needed doing, there were no hiccups. Car drives perfect, not rattling like an old donkey pulling a cart over cobbled stones......
l also asked them to check the front subframe and to put it on the paperwork that they had done so for any future reference.
So all in all very pleased. So a big thumps up to Hughes Mercedes in Beaconsfield!!!

Reactions: Ted
Mine has totally gone in for places,only done 100k passed mot 3 weeks ago looking at best part of a grand

Car is 2010 don't think they would honour it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom