Recommendations for custom exhaust fitter plz!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Also very important to get the diameter of pipe and boxes correct so you run at the correct pressure, open it up too much and you will lose pressure and decrease torque. There are plenty of people who will make you a nice shiny exhaust but very few who understand the engineering involved to maintain a cars performance.

We seem to be on the same page here. Thats exactly why I don't want to rush into it. Yes the prices I was quoted are mental and they couldn't explain to me where they got their measurements from and seemed to know fudge all about engineering an exhaust. For £500-1200 quid I expect them to know they're talking about :crazy:

We seem to be on the same page here. Thats exactly why I don't want to rush into it. Yes the prices I was quoted are mental and they couldn't explain to me where they got their measurements from and seemed to know fudge all about engineering an exhaust. For £500-1200 quid I expect them to know they're talking about :crazy:

Definitely on the same page and definitely from the same school of thought, I too have a 300bhp Scoob (see sig) and exhaust mods on these motors make a massive difference but open up the back end and you need to open up the front end with a free flow filter as you did, a lot of people forget that:doh: Also the Scoob is very mappable :D

A free-er flowing exhaust will only reduce power if the fuel mixture goes lean as a result of the increased airflow, which shouldn't happen on a closed loop fuel injected engine as the fuelling should increase to maintain the mixture strength.

Reducing pumping losses is always a good thing for power and efficiency gains.

A free-er flowing exhaust will only reduce power if the fuel mixture goes lean as a result of the increased airflow, which shouldn't happen on a closed loop fuel injected engine as the fuelling should increase to maintain the mixture strength.

Reducing pumping losses is always a good thing for power and efficiency gains.

It's the decrease in torque that's the problem not decrease in power as you correctly point out on a closed loop injected engine it self adjusts. However if you drop the exhaust back pressure significantly you lose torque.

Definitely on the same page and definitely from the same school of thought, I too have a 300bhp Scoob (see sig) and exhaust mods on these motors make a massive difference but open up the back end and you need to open up the front end with a free flow filter as you did, a lot of people forget that:doh: Also the Scoob is very mappable :D

I was sad to see my Scoob go. I got married :( Anyhow.....yes it amazes me how many of these exhaust places know nothing about cars/engines. I managed to get 270bhp from my WRX with a few carefully chosen bits and a remap...I think I spent less than £600 quid. Not bad for a 50bhp gain!! The rest of the cash went on Eibach springs, Poly bushes, Goodridge brake lines, strut brace, Ferodo DS2500 pads all round and Bridgestone RE050 rubber :bannana:

torque flow in small heath birmingham, did mine, very happy with the work, attitude and professionalism, they even opened on the sunday for me !!

I have used Longlife. The work was exceptional - all mig welded, all stainless steel. Wasn't Peterborough but from other reviews I've read, all branches seem to be to the same high standard.

and lifetime guarantee

They were one of the companies I contacted for a quote when I was looking for mine .

Despite them having a branch not even 10 miles from my home , they never bothered to reply , so I went 320 miles to Nottingham to the one company who answered my enquiry .

interesting...

can anybody confirm (who has had stainless steel system fitted) that the sound of the system does not sound 'tinny'

its been on and off my radar for a little while now.

ive just recently aquired a nice double round pipe Sebring back box that is made especially for the coupe from factory.

There is a little more noise under full throttle acceleration ( due , I think , to the metal being slightly thinner than the original mild steel system ) but I would not describe it as 'tinny' in any way .

At idle and during normal driving it is as quiet as the original system .

They were one of the companies I contacted for a quote when I was looking for mine .

Despite them having a branch not even 10 miles from my home , they never bothered to reply , so I went 320 miles to Nottingham to the one company who answered my enquiry .

I'm sure there was a story in the owners mag of someone who had the opposite experience that you had recently with the same company. In the end they were refunded their money or part of & got another firm to do the job to their satisfaction. Apparently the other firm were surprised that 1mm tubing was used instead of the normal 2mm, maybe why the price is competative?

Russ

Also very important to get the diameter of pipe and boxes correct so you run at the correct pressure, open it up too much and you will lose pressure and decrease torque. There are plenty of people who will make you a nice shiny exhaust but very few who understand the engineering involved to maintain a cars performance.

That was the problem with the shower near Prestwick Airport who bodged up the system on my 300TE : I pointed out that their pipe diameters were completely different before they had even finished the job and got a lot of double-talk from them , even though I could run rings round their head boy's mathematics . The warning bells should have rung because the only other customer that day was a gent back for rectification work . My car never ran right and I would have taken it back but for the diff packing in the following week , just after I had recommissioned the car following a two year lay up .

I won't print their name on the forum , but I have told plenty of people face to face to avoid this bunch .

I'm sure there was a story in the owners mag of someone who had the opposite experience that you had recently with the same company. In the end they were refunded their money or part of & got another firm to do the job to their satisfaction. Apparently the other firm were surprised that 1mm tubing was used instead of the normal 2mm, maybe why the price is competative?

Russ

Yes , I read that too .

All I can say is that it did not reflect my experience , and that both before and since getting mine , I had spoken to a number of other members who had bought systems from them , all of whom had nothing but praise , most of them relating to systems fitted to older models ( W108 , Fintail , Ponton ) similar to the Ponton the writer had the bad experience with .

I suppose everyone can have an 'off day' but I was surprised to read that letter .

That was the problem with the shower near Prestwick Airport who bodged up the system on my 300TE : I pointed out that their pipe diameters were completely different before they had even finished the job and got a lot of double-talk from them , even though I could run rings round their head boy's mathematics . The warning bells should have rung because the only other customer that day was a gent back for rectification work . My car never ran right and I would have taken it back but for the diff packing in the following week , just after I had recommissioned the car following a two year lay up .

I won't print their name on the forum , but I have told plenty of people face to face to avoid this bunch .

Would that shower be the ones on the Industrial estate right next to the airport runway? If so I can tell you some right horror stories about some of the motorsport work they have done :doh:

I know it's a bit North of you but I can vouch for their work and their prices are much better than what you have been quoted. Several members on here have also had systems from them.

Try THESE Call them ask for Matt and tell them Ian from JAR Motorsport sent you and they will do you a good deal which will more than pay for the fuel you will need to get to Sheffield :thumb:

I am going there on the way to Scotland to have a X pipe fitted to replace center silencer on my CLS55.

Matt knows his stuff.

Would that shower be the ones on the Industrial estate right next to the airport runway? If so I can tell you some right horror stories about some of the motorsport work they have done :doh:

I am sure we are thinking of the same place :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom