Replacing a key fob

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jupiter2step

Car
S211 E220 CDI Avantagarde
My second set of keys have been missing for a while now, and don't want to be left without a reserve set.

I browsed a few previous threads but just wanted to check before ringing main dealer: there's no way to do this on the cheap, right? I assume the fob has to be ordered and programmed through the dealership?

It's one of those infa-red ones... how much do you reckon a replacement will set me back?:doh:

Just spoke to the chap from replacementmercedeskey.co.uk. He has quoted me £165 and has told me he can come and visit me at home in Nottingham at that price as he has a job up in Grantham later this week. Said it would take roughly 40mins for him to do, £165 at home service does sound better then £230 from Mercedees.

Just spoke to the chap from replacementmercedeskey.co.uk. He has quoted me £165 and has told me he can come and visit me at home in Nottingham at that price as he has a job up in Grantham later this week. Said it would take roughly 40mins for him to do, £165 at home service does sound better then £230 from Mercedees.

Whilst that is a much better price than the Mercedes total rip-off, that is still a hell of a lot of money for a car key! I suppose as he has to come out to you that probably accounts for a lot of it.

That was the price the dealer used to charge until the price was significantly increased. I bought a chrome key a couple of years back with a cut key as well for £160 from MB Orpington.

I also need a second key making as I have no spare at the moment, and like most baulk at the obscene stealership prices.

Has anyone had any experience with having a second or spare key made by ReplacementMercedesKeys.co.uk ?

I guess my concern is - are they authentic - will they work reliably ?

does that include the metal blade key as well?

seem to be lots of posts about them; all good, even on another merc forum...

does that include the metal blade key as well?

hi! i got my new remote key for £199 from a locksmith i found here SEARCH UK mobile car auto locksmith replacement car key suppliers | Car Keys costs | Key Speclaists | Trasponder Remote Fobs the programming was included in the price. plus he gave me a one year warranty! :rock: i'm really satisfied cause when i called the dealer they said it was going to cost me £250 just for the key and programming and they also wanted me to tow the car to their garage. :dk: and that would have been another cost. so lucky i found this!

All very helpful posts (I too do not have a spare key). But, getting back to the original post, is there any way to do it on the cheap?

What do the dealer and the other guys actually do? Do they need some expensive equipment, or is it down to complicated skills that an amateur cannot learn? :confused:

They keys come preprogrammed to the vehicle, they are programmed at the factory.
Should be £230 including blade insert, you need this as they have changed shape so old key blades do not fit & also to put it onto a key ring.
Once you get new key, away you go nothing needs doing to the vehicle.
They are expensive unlike some manufacturers that will be cheaper for the keys but then need programming which boosts price up.
Hence why you do not here of too many mercedes being stolen without the keys.

They keys come preprogrammed to the vehicle, they are programmed at the factory.

So, erm, what do the guys at replacementmercedeskey.co.uk (et al) actually do? Are you saying that they can buy mercedes keys cheaper than we can? Why do they need to see the car? :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom