Replacing a key fob

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by jupiter2step, Jun 9, 2011.

1. jupiter2step

jupiter2step Active Member

Car:
    S211 E220 CDI Avantagarde
    My second set of keys have been missing for a while now, and don't want to be left without a reserve set.

I browsed a few previous threads but just wanted to check before ringing main dealer: there's no way to do this on the cheap, right? I assume the fob has to be ordered and programmed through the dealership?

It's one of those infa-red ones... how much do you reckon a replacement will set me back?:doh:

2. renault12ts

renault12ts MB Club Veteran

Car:
    2005 W215 CL500.
  3. M3 SHAM

M3 SHAM Active Member

Car:
    2005 C180K Avantgarde SE (Sports Pack)
    Just spoke to the chap from replacementmercedeskey.co.uk. He has quoted me £165 and has told me he can come and visit me at home in Nottingham at that price as he has a job up in Grantham later this week. Said it would take roughly 40mins for him to do, £165 at home service does sound better then £230 from Mercedees.

4. Working my Merc

Working my Merc Member

Car:
    E320 CDi Estate
    Whilst that is a much better price than the Mercedes total rip-off, that is still a hell of a lot of money for a car key! I suppose as he has to come out to you that probably accounts for a lot of it.

5. High-Lo

High-Lo MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2013 X166 Mercedes GL350, Porsche 911 Carrera 4 Cabriolet, Porsche 968 Cabriolet
    That was the price the dealer used to charge until the price was significantly increased. I bought a chrome key a couple of years back with a cut key as well for £160 from MB Orpington.

6. jonhancock

jonhancock New Member

Car:
    2001 E55 AMG & 2010 E63 AMG
    I also need a second key making as I have no spare at the moment, and like most baulk at the obscene stealership prices.

Has anyone had any experience with having a second or spare key made by ReplacementMercedesKeys.co.uk ?

I guess my concern is - are they authentic - will they work reliably ?

7. rascalmaster

rascalmaster MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Brabus D5 (E280 CDI) Avantgarde, E280 CDI Sport Estate, E320 Avantgarde now sold
    does that include the metal blade key as well?

8. rascalmaster

rascalmaster MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Brabus D5 (E280 CDI) Avantgarde, E280 CDI Sport Estate, E320 Avantgarde now sold
    seem to be lots of posts about them; all good, even on another merc forum...

9. adrian.C

adrian.C New Member

Car:
    nissan micra
    hi! i got my new remote key for £199 from a locksmith i found here SEARCH UK mobile car auto locksmith replacement car key suppliers | Car Keys costs | Key Speclaists | Trasponder Remote Fobs the programming was included in the price. plus he gave me a one year warranty! :rock: i'm really satisfied cause when i called the dealer they said it was going to cost me £250 just for the key and programming and they also wanted me to tow the car to their garage. :dk: and that would have been another cost. so lucky i found this!

1 person likes this.
  10. welland99

welland99 Active Member

Car:
    W210 E280 estate 1999 facelift; 6th gen honda accord coupe 2000
    All very helpful posts (I too do not have a spare key). But, getting back to the original post, is there any way to do it on the cheap?

What do the dealer and the other guys actually do? Do they need some expensive equipment, or is it down to complicated skills that an amateur cannot learn? :confused:

11. Benza750

Benza750 Active Member

Car:
    Mercedes C32 AMG & ML320 petrol
    They keys come preprogrammed to the vehicle, they are programmed at the factory.
    Should be £230 including blade insert, you need this as they have changed shape so old key blades do not fit & also to put it onto a key ring.
    Once you get new key, away you go nothing needs doing to the vehicle.
    They are expensive unlike some manufacturers that will be cheaper for the keys but then need programming which boosts price up.
    Hence why you do not here of too many mercedes being stolen without the keys.

12. welland99

welland99 Active Member

Car:
    W210 E280 estate 1999 facelift; 6th gen honda accord coupe 2000
    So, erm, what do the guys at replacementmercedeskey.co.uk (et al) actually do? Are you saying that they can buy mercedes keys cheaper than we can? Why do they need to see the car? :confused:

Tags: