Rusty screws

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thats what I've got as well, fitted by the dealer. When I changed the plates I kept the surround. I agree with you it looks good.

Originally posted by GDC200
Ditto. Screwed on surrounds then stuck on plates!

No need to stick the plates. They just slot in and the side clips hold them in place. I think Halfords do them.

Something else to look for in Halfords!

Job done now though. I used the sticky pads for the front one. You've got to be accurate, because that plate ain't moving once they stick! The back one came off easily; the bolts were as new. I couldn't stick that one on though, as there were four mounting sockets for the bolts that wouldn't budge. I even took the carpet lining off the boot to get to them from the inside with a spanner, but I only succeeded in loosening one. How they come off I've no idea.

Drilled four holes in the plate using the old one as a template and ... sorted. Much better :D .

Cheers

Andrew

Flyer wrote

Crikey, at least mine came out without damaging anything else . Any reason you didn't go with the pads, Sp!ke?

Yeah there was a reason. My car came with a chrome number plate surround from new. The surround had been rubbing on the paintwork....serious rust bubbles then appeared. ***Warning*** if you got a chrome number plate surround, make sure it isnt rubbing on your paintwork.

Anyway, I was left with two choices.

1. Get the bootlid completely redone at a body shop with all the downsides that involves.

2. Stop the rust from spreading by sanding back the rust to base metal and apply some of that stop rust stuff and then buy the filler panel between the rear lights that the later coupe's have which would hide the offending rust. This panel is attached using the same offending 4 number plate screws.

I decided to go with choice 2. BUT the part is £200 odd plus spraying etc etc. So I thought that for now while I wait for my bonus, I would try one of those rear light style reflector panels for £30 off ebay. It's now on but I'm not really sure if I like it or not. It is however a damn site better than having to look at the rust bubbles every day. I'll post a picture and let you guys decide whether it looks ok or not

Last edited:
I've seen those reflector panels before and I have to say I'm not keen on them. Still like you say better than looking at rust!

Here is the picture as promised. As Richard quite rightly said, better than rust but by no means as pretty as the real permanent solution.

image001.jpg

Last edited:
Doesn't look as bad as you described. Personal taste and all that, but looks OK to me.

I used the chrome No. plate surrounds from Halfords - they look the nutz....I also used the pads to fit these on the car to stop the surround rubbing against the paint work !

Looks really professional

Sorry Richard...I am at work offshore until end of May so I cannot post any pics as they are on my home PC !!!

But the surrounds really do look good... pop into your local Halfords and have a word with the No. plate guy !

They come in different colours too! so you might get the chance to colour code to your paint work!

DOH! just noticed the colour of your car, and you will be needing the chrome ones!!

i'll get my coat..........

:p

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom