S211 270cdi Vs 320cdi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
They're all good engines, each with their own advantages and disadvantages. I would go with the best value/spec car and prioritize condition before engine.

I also loved the SBC in my CLS55, a very capable system, awesome stopping power. Thankfully ....

Have had both in salon format. The 320 pulls, the 270 is sufficient. The 270 will get almost 10mpg more on a run if that is important.

As other say though I would buy on condition.

I’ve owned 3 of each and they’re both great engines but I’d go for the 270 because, although they are very similar, the 270 is remarkably better on fuel, the below is from an E270 and a C270:
00C2EA1D-3BD5-410E-BB9C-654265E9450A.jpeg
8AB7E5B2-9E9C-49E1-9E4A-13C6CF9F17E7.jpeg

Did the rear wash/wiper button move from just above the ashtray to the stalk arm on a certain year S211. I've seen a car with a rear wiper but no button visible on the location our E320 2004 has the button?

From my C270, from one of many motorway trips, very representative..
AfkPR1N33SSvbT-23HwCzGyG8zgAn_9dCVPP_kYGQ6nMD7ePmloAFJOnv4l8BmM2O0V9CRpmaE7F-zzsX5ggPVg9mY0DjMw3xZMmu_2spJZ2mM7pJoFojP2GbPfTAPnfZ4eFOmcH763E0xqd2DzqKhocz6U-tu58rkEPcLmH3IONHblAf12-mm4k2gIz6GBy3Hi4Hu-I4NYH9y5hy8bi2ou0zj3lNge4PgPHxmlhXnlOHe03u4G0dcw6UYRSD8LHcMqjBPyDhKSr7SdKXKxjtc1-IMljXYZ5ArIiWHResAs7pvhqk0UsNpsnnVsftMKM9p_14VVjyfFd023LpVhM5nrtEPlbn50Zy6jlJe751rwdPwekpT2MwkRwnETKxRceOU6NhkLo00MlQjJEVUzCWB0LIoApipvmZiPrKyP6rTDdN8Q-LKqdF0GkpYHw4frcvLAsvnTyQDwbyZ9zALH1ocpoaF9AvUhyf1s69Tv8WUadOoC3CMEtY0vksK48U8MQSDUfhiK0fRMz3DRnY6aNtxC3UXSUtHV12uHgneLSzJ11kv-WVdE_RmRHYeFo2BYJw4uQIhV86oiUsiYCUwn6V35EoBayAmbvK_09ES2k5eBtfAo8xZvJ2bJt778q9ix8CxFeHyi8uQuBc5MCwzYFnwR9NPsijau2CAbq-fZMWK0kf74mLkDS9P9XU9zZWPw=w640-h480-no

The rear wiper switch is on the left stalk on post 2006 facelift models. The seven seats in the boot are one lift up unit - only really suitable for small children. I've driven the 270 280 and 320; they are all good to drive. As others have said the 270 is quite a bit more frugal on diesel, nothing in it between the 280 and the 320. All pre facelift had SBC braking which can cause a repair bill if the pump needs changing although I believe the cost of the pump has reduced. DPF was an option until some time in 2008 or 2009 so some earlier facelift cars have no DPF. The achilles heel of the facelift v6 is the oil cooler seals - a big repair bill because of the time to get to the seals in the bottom of the V. Rust is not the big problem that it was on the 210 but the 211 (even the facelift) has its problem areas - usually around the rear arches and the rear brake lines all the way under the car hidden by the covers under the sills - it can become a semi expensive bill to fix if both sides are gone. If you can put up with a rougher 4 pot then the e220 is worth considering; very reliable unit. If I were looking for one I would consider all engines and buy the lowest owner best maintained one, with a preference for a non DPF facelift 320.

I always achieved more than 50mpg with my e320 cdi, but it did have a eco map.
People said the obc was wrong lol 😂 so I did a trip 35 miles brim to brim 62.9mpg! Was the out come. I did have an posted pics on here to prove many years ago.

But hey that’s not why I bought the car, my advice drive both to back to back then decide. You’ll be lucky to get 48 or more from a v6.

Real world long term average mixed driving for me on v6 was high 30s; anything over 40 was unusual.

Love my IL6 320 211 - gets around 50mpg on the obd motorway driving - so nice to drive!

The rear wiper switch is on the left stalk on post 2006 facelift models. The seven seats in the boot are one lift up unit - only really suitable for small children. I've driven the 270 280 and 320; they are all good to drive. As others have said the 270 is quite a bit more frugal on diesel, nothing in it between the 280 and the 320. All pre facelift had SBC braking which can cause a repair bill if the pump needs changing although I believe the cost of the pump has reduced. DPF was an option until some time in 2008 or 2009 so some earlier facelift cars have no DPF. The achilles heel of the facelift v6 is the oil cooler seals - a big repair bill because of the time to get to the seals in the bottom of the V. Rust is not the big problem that it was on the 210 but the 211 (even the facelift) has its problem areas - usually around the rear arches and the rear brake lines all the way under the car hidden by the covers under the sills - it can become a semi expensive bill to fix if both sides are gone. If you can put up with a rougher 4 pot then the e220 is worth considering; very reliable unit. If I were looking for one I would consider all engines and buy the lowest owner best maintained one, with a preference for a non DPF facelift 320.

Really appreciate the information and advice. Thank you.

All the info and advice is appreciated thanks gents.

Did the DPF come in on a models 2005 onwards. Can this be an issue also?

My dad's car will call it the e320cdi has self leveling rear suspension. It's an advantgarde. And the suspension is a really nice ride.

Are the Elegance even more softer than that of the advantgarde. If the car has comfort suspension will it have an option to change the suspension firmness with a button?

I
Yes, the Elegance has a softer suspension, but NO, it does not wallow about like an ocean liner. Unless the vehicle has the full air suspension, then no, it's not adjustable. I think the only way to see if an Avantgarde has comfort suspension is to perhaps post the VIN number. Back in 2002/3, when these cars were first available comments were made about the firmness of the Avantgarde suspension, nothing was ever made about the Elegance ride apart from journalists saying it had the ride of a luxury car. You like the Avantgarde ride and to me, that is all that counts

Merc85
An amazing clip, but I must have missed the SBC light coming on?

I love these old diesels. The 270 being a 5 cylinder makes some pretty quirky noises. Gruff at idle (no mistaking it’s a dirty diesel!) but very smooth once up to speed. The big 6 is smoother and quieter at some ranges. Most running problems will be caused by diesel leaking/air getting in from the crappy clear hoses, hp seals, injector seals.

I have replaced the hoses/seals, fuel pressure regulator, mounts and crank sensor. I’m sure the politicians will ban it long before it wears out!

Attachments

• 4B0855A5-987D-415A-A588-2F6767CBDE00.jpeg
    4B0855A5-987D-415A-A588-2F6767CBDE00.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Had to fill up our E320cdi this morning for work tomorrow as my work van has a EML come on. I'll drop that into the Indy we use before I head off the work tomorrow.

I then got back into my W212 E63 6.2. to head home. The performance the W212 chassis gives over the more docile S211 is like chalk and cheese, understandably so.

Got me thinking if parted with my w212 E63 which I absolutely adore and went for a s211 E63 with the non MCT gearbox would I be disappointed with the performance of the car in general. I have seen two cracking examples up for sale with the 7 seat option and both seem to have been looked after, and service history seems all to be intact. I kind of feel it would be a backwards step If I did. As the chassis of the newer W212 really is a amazing capable unit. I know the engine now having owned my current car one year 6 months.

On the other hand I would like that second car for all the winter and load lugging jobs that do arise with having 3 boys to drag around with me. I think I know the second car is the correct option for me but just having second thoughts.

Also are 7 seats really needed, 11/12 year old 8/9 year old 12 months old. I think the rear bench seat is big enough to have to 3 boys in the back. Can anyone give there opinions on the rear seat to accommodate 3 children. One would be in a forward facing toddler seat.

Cheers.

DPF came in around 2008.

280 and 320 is much smoother than 270.

SBC is great to use, but can be a pain if you need to fork out for new unit.

I would search out a car with no comand and upgrade to a modern carplay unit.

DPF came in around 2008.

280 and 320 is much smoother than 270.

SBC is great to use, but can be a pain if you need to fork out for new unit.

I would search out a car with no comand and upgrade to a modern carplay unit.

The DPF was introduced well before 2008 I'm sure

The DPF was introduced well before 2008 I'm sure
IIRC 55 plates had it - only way to be sure is to check data card. Having the DPF is a bonus in my opinion tbh.

Rear seat is big enough for 3 boys, it is big enough for 3 adults (unless they're on McD diet). We used the 6/7 seat bench in our various merc estates very rarely - usually transporting lots of children to birthday parties - of course with 6 kids in the car and two facing the wrong way they all loved it. The 5 seater has the advantage of a bit more hidden storage under the floor. Unless you have 4 children I would not bother seeking out a 7 seater; no idea why so many people pay the extra new.

DPF was available as an option - not sure from when and, with the benefit of hindsight, not sure why anyone would have selected it. I know a December 2007 v6 that does NOT have DPF and I believe that DPF became standard fitment from sometime in 2008 (July?). There are different MOT regs for diesel cars registered after 1 July 2008 so wonder if it is coincident with that?

Is it possible that every S211 diesel had the DPF 55 plate onwards. I have read good regarding both non dpf and vehicles with

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom