Sainsbury's E5 fuel Octane Rating

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

E55BOF

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLS63 SB, SLK55, CLK350 'Vert, Triumph Sprint (Bike not Dolly...),
Does anyone know the octane rating of Sainsbury's E5 petrol? The 63 will need filling soon, and I'll be half a mile from a Sainsbury's in Hove this weekend when it does.

Don't know Sainsburys, but Tesco Moventum is 99RON and E5 if there's a Tesco filling station close by,

97, apparently.

See also:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Pretty sure it’s 97.

When I had my XFR, I only fed it Momentum, V-Power or Costco.

Not for the 63, then. Such is life.

When you open your petrol cap flap, what does it say on the inside ?

And my credit card starts whimpering...

It says 98. The car It will run on 97, and 95 too if there's nothing else available (remember the brief fuel 'shortage' panic in Summer 2021?), but MB specify 98, and if it's available I stick to that. I do the same thing with the SLK.

Isn't the question here "does 97 actually make any real difference to the running and maintenance of my car?"

Everyone talks about 97/98. Some garages sell 98, some 97.

Is there a tangible difference, or is it something you''ll only notice on the Nordschleife?

This nuance isn't as fundamental as the issue of using E10 on an older car, where regular E10 "could" be damaging your fuel line.

When I checked this out a few months ago I found that all super E5 was 97 except
V- power
Esso (but could be 97 at some stations)
Tesco
Don't know about Costco

Despite having a Shell garage around the corner I'm not paying their price. Been happily using Sainsbury's 97 with the occasional top up of Tesco if passing. My M113K runs sweet as.

When you open your petrol cap flap, what does it say on the inside ?
Hi , on the filler cap on my E400 it states 95.However , in the hand book / electronic handbook it states 99.

Hand book states using 99 reduced power and increased fuel consumption.

99 for my old girl

My old girl preferred G&T, but what do you put in your car?

Last edited:
Just filled up at an Esso station; 99 octane, £1.74. That'll do me.

If you have a Nectar card, some, maybe all, Esso stations give 5p/L discount for 300 Nectar points if you put more than 25L in. So £1.50 worth of Nectar points makes for a discount if putting 50+L in.

Hi , on the filler cap on my E400 it states 95.However , in the hand book / electronic handbook it states 99.

99 for my old girl
I remember many years ago a similar comment was made by a member in another forum, we only realised later on that his car was a Euro car and his handbook was for US cars.

Basically, 99 RON ( European research Octane Numbers ) is equal to 95 MON ( US Motor Octane Numbers )

Not saying this applies here, just thought I would share it for anyone interested to know.

When I checked this out a few months ago I found that all super E5 was 97 except
V- power
Esso (but could be 97 at some stations)
Tesco
Don't know about Costco

Despite having a Shell garage around the corner I'm not paying their price. Been happily using Sainsbury's 97 with the occasional top up of Tesco if passing. My M113K runs sweet as.
Texaco Supreme is 99 octane too

99 for my old girl
Is the second paragraph correct, or have you missed out a ‘not’? Or have I misunderstood something, which is not unusual…

I thought at first it was just a typo; change the second '99' to '95' and it makes sense. I'm surprised the filler flap states 95, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom