Seems I sold my car to an idiot!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yes, I always ask to see the buyer’s Driver’s licence and use the name and address on a receipt like this. Both parties sign putting the date and time - so that nobody gets any unwanted surprises!

View attachment 131057
That's exactly what I would usually do. I've never had someone turn up from somewhere fairly local, only 18 miles away and come and take the car there and then. Caught me off guard but he was keen to view so I obliged.

Normally when I've sold a car and had a viewing, I have the paperwork together and print out a 'sold as seen' document just like this one.

One fortunate thing is the cash being transferred online so there's a record of where the money has come from.

There's a good side to this story.
You sold the car and got your money.
Hey life's good. :thumb:
Don't forget to keep us updated, otherwise we will all be watching the police programs for the update.

There's a good side to this story.
You sold the car and got your money.
Hey life's good. :thumb:
Don't forget to keep us updated, otherwise we will all be watching the police programs for the update.
Exactly mate, every cloud! :)

Now the V5 has been issued, it should show via the DVLA the date of sale (31st) and then the new owner can deal with it! haha

Yes, I always ask to see the buyer’s Driver’s licence and use the name and address on a receipt like this. Both parties sign putting the date and time - so that nobody gets any unwanted surprises!

View attachment 131057
Your "declaration by vendor" and "sale confirmation" sections conflict with each other - in the first section you do make a number of representations and warranties about the car and then in the second section it says that the car is sold without any representations or warranties at all. Legal documents with conflicting statements can sometimes get you into more trouble than having no document at all. Personally I would make it more simple than you have.

Your "declaration by vendor" and "sale confirmation" sections conflict with each other - in the first section you do make a number of representations and warranties about the car and then in the second section it says that the car is sold without any representations or warranties at all. Legal documents with conflicting statements can sometimes get you into more trouble than having no document at all. Personally I would make it more simple than you have.
would this contradiction be solved by removing points 3 and 4?

Yes it would. Strictly speaking, in a private sale the seller is only legally liable in law if the vehicle is knowingly mis-described. If a buyer subsequently sought compensation because either the car had been written off or the mileage was incorrect, the case would at least be arguable.

You could get round this by stating "To the best of my knowledge and belief...", or something like that, but if somebody asked me to sign anything with that sort of caveat on it, I'd be highly suspicious, and I doubt I'd buy the car.

I've never yet been asked for proof of my address or identity when buying a car, either.

In the early 90's, I sold a car to a guy that told me he'd just got his license back after being banned for drinking driving. Needless to say, that started the alarm bells ringing.
He paid cash, it was only a few hundred quid. I had two receipts already written out, one for him to keep and the other for me. We filled them in with the date, both our names and addresses and signed them. Back then, the new keeper had to fill in and send off the new keeper details, I got him to fill the tear of strip and said I'd send it off for him, you know, save him the bother. Glad I did.
A couple of weeks later, I got a letter from a council saying that my car had hit and destroyed a lamp post and the driver said they were borrowing the car from me and it was insured by me for him to drive. I did panic a bit! I called the council, they confirmed what the letter said was correct. I explained I'd sold the car, had receipts and had sent the new keeper details to the DVLA, the council had got my details confirmed by the DVLA.
I faxed the receipt to the council and rang the DVLA, eventually I got through and I explained why I was calling. They couldn't tell me who the registered keeper was, but were able to confirm it wasn't me :) so back on the phone to council, told them what the DVLA said.

A week later, got a nice letter back confirming that I was off the hook, apologising for the hassle and confirming they were not going to pursuing me :)

Really pleased I had the receipts and sent off the new keeper details instead of relying on the guy that bought it!

Interesting to hear all these stories and how a little due diligence can go a very long way. For now I am just staying off the private sale as I can't be bothered with the hassle. I know it's money on the table but as long as I've haggled and feel it's a fair price, I get on with p/x.

OP, please let us know how you get on with the fines that already went through your door.

These days I would NEVER have a stranger visit my home to buy something & I hope I'm never desperate enough for the money to do so.
The nearest I ever got was to have a car club member whom I could trace if required, buy some spares but the deal was done in my garage, not within my home. The rather expensive & rare car that normally resided in said garage was in a neighbours garage. At the risk of being paranoid all curtains were drawn.
On an associated matter having observed a suspicious man bothering a neighbour opposite I managed to take a photograph of him as he walked away from the front door.
BTW I don't live on a sink estate or in a 'rough' area, nor in a poncy posh area.

Had a similar "idiot" to deal with today :

Put my "project" motorbike on eBay a week ago , realistic reserve met and bike sold to said idiot who messaged me after the auction ended to inform me that he couldn`t pay for it - WTF.

Had to relist it @ £30 and now it is in another 7 day auction , any further potential buyer may now think there was something wrong with it hence the no sale or i had a mate bit it up to get more ££, neither of which is true.

What is wrong with some people , hope their next poo is a hedgehog.

K

Had a similar "idiot" to deal with today :

Put my "project" motorbike on eBay a week ago , realistic reserve met and bike sold to said idiot who messaged me after the auction ended to inform me that he couldn`t pay for it - WTF.

Had to relist it @ £30 and now it is in another 7 day auction , any further potential buyer may now think there was something wrong with it hence the no sale or i had a mate bit it up to get more ££, neither of which is true.
K
Word your ad accordingly - "Relisted due to previous timewaster winning bidder/idiot who could not afford it".

Word your ad accordingly - "Relisted due to previous timewaster winning bidder/idiot who could not afford it".
I did , in big letters.

K

I'd have been rather more insulting than that...

These days I would NEVER have a stranger visit my home to buy something & I hope I'm never desperate enough for the money to do so.
The nearest I ever got was to have a car club member whom I could trace if required, buy some spares but the deal was done in my garage, not within my home. The rather expensive & rare car that normally resided in said garage was in a neighbours garage. At the risk of being paranoid all curtains were drawn.
On an associated matter having observed a suspicious man bothering a neighbour opposite I managed to take a photograph of him as he walked away from the front door.
BTW I don't live on a sink estate or in a 'rough' area, nor in a poncy posh area.
Your story reminds me of when we bought a house many years ago. The vendor did everything he could to avoid us going into the garages, and after I insisted that I must insist he reluctantly allowed us to look inside but was very frosty about what was under the covers.

I can understand it, we were young at the time and may have thought we were time wasters, and I would not want strangers to know which cars I have tucked away in the garage either but when you’re selling your house you have to expect potential buyers to want to see inside the garage.

Blimey....I could not live life worrying about stuff like that.....how can you sell anything without them coming to your door unless you PX it and get done up like a kipper by the dealer rather than getting an extra few grand (overall) for a private sale and cash purchase of the "new" car. I must have sold 35 to 40 used cars and bikes from my house (some were used by me...some just repaired and flipped)....never had an issue in 35 ish years. Cursed it now of course and I will be punting out my 159 soon!

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean everybody isn't out to get you... :D

I did , in big letters.

K
I especially liked this bit, made me smile:
NO other payment options will be considered so please don’t ask , even if you have a pending eight figure inheritance from an African prince or you have a few Bitcoins flying around the internet , somewhere - etc. etc.
GLWTS🤞

Your story reminds me of when we bought a house many years ago. The vendor did everything he could to avoid us going into the garages, and after I insisted that I must insist he reluctantly allowed us to look inside but was very frosty about what was under the covers.
So, what was under the covers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom