• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Servicing on collection on a used car by the supplying dealer - C63 ppp

crell

Car
some
Hi, I bought my C63 from a MB dealer almost 12 months ago. 3 years old and ~23k on the clock. It's now got ~32k on it

I've just rung my local MB dealer for a "B5" Service and was quoted about ~£1150. Everything I've read on here suggested ~600 is nearer the norm so dug a bit deeper in to the work being proposed.

I used a link on here to MB ESS, and found the suggested schedule of work for the car at 4 years old.

I then contacted the supplying MB dealer and it transpires they only carried out an "A" service and reset the service indicator . It looks to me like they should have done Service 20, 8 and 10 in 2016 when Icollected the car from the list below. What do you think? Would you expect them to service it in line with their own manufacturers guide? It does say on the ESS page that the below is a guide only and condition, mileage etc can vary the schedule. Dealer is looking in to it.

From ESS: (sorry about the formatting)
For every service (Equipment specific)
Maintenance scopes for driving aids ex factory
Service 3 - at every service
Engine: change oil and filter
Restriction for AMG: Only Engine Oils SAE XW-40 (X = 0, 5, 10, 20) May Be Used
Service 4 - Every 2 years
Replace brake fluid
Service 20 - Once 31,000 miles/3 years
Automatic transmission: Carry out oil and filter change (with transmission 722.9 - NAG2)
Service 8 - Every 31,000 miles/3 years
Replace air filter element
Rear axle: Perform oil change (Model 204.0/2/3 with CODE 471 - Manual locking differential, with CODE B25 - AMG Track Package, with CODE P98 - Black Series, except CODE P30 - AMG Performance Package)
Rear axle: Perform oil change (Model 204.0/2/3 with CODE P30 - AMG Performance Package, with CODE 471 - Manual locking differential, with CODE P98 - Black Series, except CODE B25 - AMG Track Package)
Service 10 - Every 31,000 miles/3 years (with CODE 413 - Panoramic glass roof with top sliding roof)
Panoramic sliding roof: Clean and Lubricate guide mechanism
Service 12 - Every 45,000 miles/4 years
Replace spark plugs

Ask for the service history. I have just been quoted for a service including an ATF change both online and over the phone. In fact my ATF was changed 12 months ago as required. When I mentioned this to the dealer they checked and agreed it had been done and not necessary again, and that there must be a problem with the online information. Whether they would have changed it again and charged an unsuspecting new owner I dont know.
This could be your situation that the records are not accurate.

Otherwise if it was supplied as an approved MB I suggest any items missed at 3 years ought to be FOC.

This is a good question - does the Approved Used car scheme guarantees that the cars sold under this scheme have been serviced according to manufacturer's specifications?

Looking at the advertising blurb, they only commit to the car's condition when sold, plus various guaranties re potential issues after purchase, but I could not find a direct reference to a commitment that the cars actually have full dealer server history, which is odd.

If you were paying for the service the dealer would say they'll only (electronically) stamp your service book if you've performed all additional items, and it sounds like they chose not too. I'd at least have a conversation with them to see if there's goodwill to help with the cost.

Have you got a breakdown of what will be done for the quote you've been given?

This is a good question - does the Approved Used car scheme guarantees that the cars sold under this scheme have been serviced according to manufacturer's specifications?

Looking at the advertising blurb, they only commit to the car's condition when sold, plus various guaranties re potential issues after purchase, but I could not find a direct reference to a commitment that the cars actually have full dealer server history, which is odd.

It mentions Service Cover and if a service is required within 3months of ownership that MB will cover the cost. Surely this clarifies it?

It mentions Service Cover and if a service is required within 3months of ownership that MB will cover the cost. Surely this clarifies it?

Well I suppose you could argue that any outstanding service items at the time of delivery comes under this clause...?

Well I suppose you could argue that any outstanding service items at the time of delivery comes under this clause...?

I think so yes and if MB serviced the car surely they would be expected to carry out all that was required. But it may be the records are incorrect as was my experience.

There's no reason the dealer would deliberately choose not to do a service in line with the manufacturers recommendations, the service may cost Joe Public £1k but i bet it only costs MB a fraction of that unless MB pay their technicians £150 an hour!

Lots of good points there, thank you.

When I bought the car I was left unimpressed by the salesman due to an "error" in the no of previous keepers which I only discovered on the V5 when it arrived. ( 3 rather than 2) and had no intention of going back there as a result.

@bobbydazzler The quote I have is from my local dealer for all the items in the original post (6). They have also clarified that If It were just boarding for the three year 4 only items it would be ~630 ( can't remember the exact figure).

The supplying dealer service booking team have spoken to the service manager who seems to be suggesting that only 1 of the (3) three year items above should have been done. When I spoke to them yesterday there was no record of the above items being carried out.

Will be calling them shortly but the biggest pain is they are almost 3 hours away from me. The perils of spec / condition hunting vs buying local.

@geraldrobins I don't think it's the cause as the items aren't in my service record, but it did highlight the fact that the quote you get needs checking.

@markjay I wasn't really questioning FSH ( as in longer term history), just the obligations of a dealer to service the car in line with the manufacturer's guidance. However I was told the car had a FSH. They also reset the service notifications to 12 months ( it was initially stating B3 in 12 months on the car and then switched to B5)

@flowrider we have very different perceptions of the dealer system when it comes to margin protection on used vehicle sales.

Thanks all once again. Just goes to prove again to get all this in writing in detail at the point of sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom