Shell V-Power Nitro vs BP Ultimate Active petrol

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
....did 250 mph on the motorway...

Woha! Where's that petrol station?? Please tell us :D

Shell V-power or Tesco momentum, BP has been grim every time I have used it in high performance turbo'd cars.

You can always cheat and add in a load of Toluene when you fill up. Just don't blame me if one of your pistone achieves near earth orbit :D

Woha! Where's that petrol station?? Please tell us :D
Mark , it goes faster on Asda fuel , I've seen speeds of approx 300 mph when I had my glasses on to see the speedo

I used to work for BP and had discount, but I always filled up with v-power. BP 97ron just doesn't make any sense.

If I understood your post correctly, then the answer is that BP Ultimate and Shell V-Power are being marketed on the back of their enhanced additives pack (mostly detergents to keep the engine clean), and not just on the Octane number.

It's a bit of both. The higher octane differentiates them from standard unleaded (of any brand), and the specific (and unique) combination of additives differentiates from rival super unleaded fuels of the same octane.

As an aside Shell are about to launch a new version of V-Power in the UK:

Shell preparing to relaunch V-Power fuel - Forecourt Trader

It's a bit of both. The higher octane differentiates them from standard unleaded (of any brand), and the specific (and unique) combination of additives differentiates from rival super unleaded fuels of the same octane.

Spot on. The base fuel is the exact same for unleaded and higher octane no matter what depot it comes from and all conform to British Standard regulations. What varies is the additives package that goes into the fuel.

Spot on. The base fuel is the exact same for unleaded and higher octane no matter what depot it comes from and all conform to British Standard regulations. What varies is the additives package that goes into the fuel.

Interestingly Shell claim that Shell V-Power is the only fuel on the market that is manufactured separately to other fuels.

Interestingly Shell claim that Shell V-Power is the only fuel on the market that is manufactured separately to other fuels.
Which is exactly what Flanalia says and with his job, I believe him to be correct.

I put Sainsburys super into the 63 one day, no choice at the time. To my total surprise, it started, made it out the petrol station , did 250 mph on the motorway and actually got me home. To my enormous surprise the next day , it dam well started first time in the morning and actually got me to work.

I still can't believe it

I think you're taking the p1ss. This is serious stuff (not for me though my car also starts first time no matter what I put in it).

Which is exactly what Flanalia says and with his job, I believe him to be correct.

Thank you....

Of course, the fact that it is manufactured separately is not in itself proof that Shell V-Power is indeed superior to other fuels, just that it *could* be better, but it is important to set the record right at the factual level before continuing the discussion....

Remember reading up a lot about this some years back.

Shell V -power is different in its process as to how it's made in the refinery.

Premier tuning Chipped my accord some time back , and his opinion was the cars that just use this , after manifold/EGR clean etc, do not carbon up like all the other fuels , when stripped later.

As to economy help etc as claimed, well there is a massive placebo effect with these things but my 89 Landy smokes a lot less :)

My opinion after reading a lot up is that if a manufacturer of Fuel could prove that it gave extra fuel economy, protected engine etc, would it not be prudent to prove it via independent testing?

Then if it gave you 3-5 mpg more, and protected the engine , would not every fleet driving lorry firm in the world not want and use it ?

The yearly fuel savings would be enormous and no-body would want 'normal Fuel' would they?

And does that mean all the other diesel they have been selling us is therefore sub-standard?

Plus you go to Scotland and certain parts of Wales and you cannot find the garages that sell it anyway - I just take some millers additive and stick that in.

And I know a few people that run on chip oil etc, so is it that technical anyway?

If they say so I'm sure they do. But what does that mean? Possibly a bit marketing spin - special brew, special tank. The bottom line is all of Shell's base fuel is the same as everybody else's and their V-Power fuel has additives as we know.

Last edited:
...Premier tuning Chipped my accord some time back , and his opinion was the cars that just use this , after manifold/EGR clean etc, do not carbon up like all the other fuels , when stripped later....

I don't use Shell V-Power due to any additional bhp or better mpg it may provide, but purely for the detergents. And I used BP Ultimate before that, until the local BP garage closed down...

Since my early motoring days I have always added Redex to every tankful. When I removed the injectors rail on my 2001 Omega when it had 40k miles on the clock, the injectors where squeaky clean, shiny metal with no staining or signs of deposits or gumming etc. This convinced me I was right...

In recent years I have been using premium fuels because it is easier than working out the right amount of additive and adding it at the pump. Additionally MB do not approve use of additives other than those already included with the fuel, and when my car was still under warranty this was an additional consideration for me.

So in short... if you care about your engine, make sure you use either premium fuels, or use regular fuel and add Redex/Millers/Forte to it.

Of course in order to achieve the cleaning effect there is no need to fill up with premium fuel or add additive at every tankful, you could take the view that it is sufficient to do this every third or fourth tankful... but I have chosen to us only premium fuels on all my cars, and have not had any injectors or carbon build-up issues so far. So it works for me.

I don't use Shell V-Power due to any additional bhp or better mpg it may provide, but purely for the detergents. And I used BP Ultimate before that, until the local BP garage closed down...

Since my early motoring days I have always added Redex to every tankful. When I removed the injectors rail on my 2001 Omega when it had 40k miles on the clock, the injectors where squeaky clean, shiny metal with no staining or signs of deposits or gumming etc. This convinced me I was right...

In recent years I have been using premium fuels because it is easier than working out the right amount of additive and adding it at the pump. Additionally MB do not approve use of additives other than those already included with the fuel, and when my car was still under warranty this was an additional consideration for me.

So in short... if you care about your engine, make sure you use either premium fuels, or use regular fuel and add Redex/Millers/Forte to it.

Of course in order to achieve the cleaning effect there is no need to fill up with premium fuel or add additive at every tankful, you could take the view that it is sufficient to do this every third or fourth tankful... but I have chosen to us only premium fuels on all my cars, and have not had any injectors or carbon build-up issues so far. So it works for me.

My method or approach is somewhat different but similar in theory.

Besides one car that I have which was designed to run on 98+ but can happily run 95, I make a point of using 98. The others I just treat twice yearly to a half litre of additive to 1/4 or 1/3 of a tank of fuel and I just fill up at at any station using regular 95 which is very convenient.

Now, I know that's not very scientific but I've had three sets of injectors tested over the last few years and there's never been any deterioration worth talking about - one set with 100+k miles. I think half the battle is that you are happy with the approach taken in keeping the fuel system in good order.

My E55 threw a wobbly the other day after a tankful of Morrisons' finest. It started the next morning with a shudder & tapped like mad which I've never known it to do in the 4 years I've owned it. I normally use BP or if supermarket fuel, it gets a dose of Millers, but ran out that day. Tapping got quieter when warm, but persisted till I gave it a dose of Millers. Might be just coincidental??

Fifth gear tested BP and Shell 2designer" fuels a while ago, comparing them to ASDA's finest.

Shell was the only one to give any repeatable BHP inprovenent (3-4 IIRC)

A quick search on youtube and you can find out for yourselves...and get a look at VBH, if you like that sort of thing.

I forgot to mention one other direct benefit my W202 got from adding a fuel system treatment. The gauge was reading incorrectly exactly as the previous owner mentioned but after two or there treatments over a short period of time bingo, all back to normal.

Maybe coincidence but I don't think so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom