Silver E55.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A bit of a slow progress at the moment due to business and other commitments. Nevertheless, the work on the car never stops. I'm on the next version of the fuel system. Trying to keep all of the components inside the original fuel tank proved to be difficult. After realising that I need to quadruple the amount of fuel pumps and fuel scavenging valves in the system, I decided that enough is enough and went a different route:

29042457608_a1e8d19edc_c.jpg

42196600934_4cd398ec3b_c.jpg

The new system will be dead simple - one fuel line to the injectors, one back. The pump is a brushless 500LPH unit with an external controller to slow down the flow when idling/cruising. The pump will sit inside the ATL gated fuel collector, surrounded by foam.

Apart from the fuel system, there's a few other things that need to be addressed once the car is back up and running again but I'm still hopeful for Septermber's VMax!
:) :) :) :) unbelievable! great job mate

Read through!

Let me know when you are bankrupt and I'll make an offer!

Fantastic work sir :):devil:

V
Read through!

Let me know when you are bankrupt and I'll make an offer!

Fantastic work sir :):devil:

Very kind of you Paul, thank you :eek:;)

The fuel system upgrade is complete. I'm still a few weeks away from fitting the bigger injectors but the tank is in, connected and working great. There wasn't a chance to utilise the original filler cap due to it being located a bit low against the tank so a boot filler cap was fitted instead. The downside of losing some boot space is fully compensated by the simplicity of the fuel system. There's a feed, a return and a non-return breather valve connected to the original charcoal canister. All is easily accessible and serviceable. The fuel level (needs calibrating) completes the setup.

The original tank is removed first:

43519934910_dacc328b18_b.jpg

The new tank has been put on aluminium profile 'rails' and tensioned down with some adjustable metal strips:

45309500051_d637ef6282_b.jpg

43520097720_d2cdfab50b_b.jpg

The car was then taken to JPS Motorsport in Milton Keynes to get the much needed alignment done:

43520019100_ed05e53563_b.jpg

Made a trip to the Trax which was great. Thanks to everyone who came to say Hi. Just a random picture of the car to wrap up this post:

44587117914_a3195315f1_b.jpg

Not sure if you’ve discussed this already Alex but what are you plans in the wheel department? Forged? UL?

Nice work, is that facelift mirrors fitted?

I take it you don't need any IVA test on this when completed?

Another amazing bout of engineering there Alex, so very impressive mate, I really do need to find some time to come up and see your car first hand, just to appreciate every minor item you have done to this car:):)

Not sure if you’ve discussed this already Alex but what are you plans in the wheel department? Forged? UL?

I like the forged wheels idea a lot. They will have to come later though as they would get ruined by moving the car about and taking them off to go on the hub dyno.

Nice work, is that facelift mirrors fitted?

I take it you don't need any IVA test on this when completed?

Yep, facelift mirrors. I don’t think so but I will check. DVLA only needed me to confirm the car has a manual box now to update the records and reissue the V5.

a technical work of ark E55+

Thank you.

For a second there, I thought that slip was hinting to Alex that his car is taking a while to be finished.

:devil:

It is taking a while, I know. I’m in between work and being away l a lot lately so the project takes a back seat at times.

Another amazing bout of engineering there Alex, so very impressive mate, I really do need to find some time to come up and see your car first hand, just to appreciate every minor item you have done to this car:):)

Thank you Ricky.

Yep, facelift mirrors. I don’t think so but I will check. DVLA only needed me to confirm the car has a manual box now to update the records and reissue the V5.

Thanks, much work on fitting the facelift mirrors, I like the look of those against the original?

Thanks, much work on fitting the facelift mirrors, I like the look of those against the original?

It was quite a job to do with my car as it's a 2003:

- Get a pair of mirrors. Find out one won't fold/unfold. Strip that one, find two broken wires, repair and reassemble.
- Paint both in brilliant silver (the shade that was discontinued before the facelift).
- Receive the mirrors from the body shop all painted, remove the old mirrors to find out that new mirrors don't fit the doors. The pocket is 5mm too shallow.
- Curse and scratch the head for a few minutes.
- Call MSL and get a pair of facelift doors. Strip and paint them.
- Transfer all the internals from the old doors into new, including re-riveting of glass frames.
- Hook the doors up, fit the mirrors, enjoy the look.

Other than my saga above, they fit and plug right in with no alterations.

It was quite a job to do with my car as it's a 2003:

- Get a pair of mirrors. Find out one won't fold/unfold. Strip that one, find two broken wires, repair and reassemble.
- Paint both in brilliant silver (the shade that was discontinued before the facelift).
- Receive the mirrors from the body shop all painted, remove the old mirrors to find out that new mirrors don't fit the doors. The pocket is 5mm too shallow.
- Curse and scratch the head for a few minutes.
- Call MSL and get a pair of facelift doors. Strip and paint them.
- Transfer all the internals from the old doors into new, including re-riveting of glass frames.
- Hook the doors up, fit the mirrors, enjoy the look.

Other than my saga above, they fit and plug right in with no alterations.

I like that, "no alterations". :)

A bit too much for me, don't think I'd go as far as the doors unless they needed painting.

I like that, "no alterations". :)

A bit too much for me, don't think I'd go as far as the doors unless they needed painting.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. Later cars (04+ I think) have doors deep enough for the mirrors. Some people fitted the mirrors without changing the doors.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. Later cars (04+ I think) have doors deep enough for the mirrors. Some people fitted the mirrors without changing the doors.

I see thanks, project for further down the line for me that one, must get car back together first. ;)

Absolutely cracking thread!

What a car Alex, my hat goes off to you sir

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom