Silver E55.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
How’s Odin coming on Alex?

Hey Lee. The new fuel system is plumbed in and wired. The car is currently waiting for a couple of parts which have to come from Germany and the US. One which is a 50p connector is on leadtime. If it is not here next week, I'll just go ahead and crimp my own connectors and be done with it. Could have finished it by now if not for the other part.

Well, the "new" fuel system has let us down so out it goes and a "new new" implementation is going in. Still work in progress so only a late night shot.

40795852782_f5e44b8035_b.jpg

Amazing build Alex as per usual.... a true Engineer....

Thank you Greg. Can't take all the credit though. A few have helped along the way and still do :)

Well, how should I put this?. Having just read this thread from beginning to end, I feel something stirring. ... I remember a similar ' stirring ' after watching a rather raunchy show in Berlin some years ago. That I should feel similar stirrings after looking at an internal combustion engine is worrying. I shall seek the help of a mental health professional post haste.:)

Well, how should I put this?. Having just read this thread from beginning to end, I feel something stirring. ... I remember a similar ' stirring ' after watching a rather raunchy show in Berlin some years ago. That I should feel similar stirrings after looking at an internal combustion engine is worrying. I shall seek the help of a mental health professional post haste.:)

Thanks you Sir.

The dyno session went well except that I've maxed out my current injectors. The car showed about 600hp at the rear wheels with throttle opening of 65%. Above that the duty cycle for injectors was over 100% as they couldn't flow any more fuel. I've ordered a new set of injectors with almost double the flow capacity of the 'old' set - 1200 vs 627cc.

Whilst they were being made I thought it would be nice instead of cluttering up the cabin with extra gauges and dials for this and for that, to actually have everything displayed in one place. Modern race displays have the ability of not only pulling the information from the ECU but also allow some add-ons in form of sensors, indicators, etc. This would be really handy as I could not only see almost everything that happens in the ECU but have the road going features like high/low beam and side indicators, fuel level, set out some some warning (e.g. low fuel) and messages based on conditions of the ECU/sensors. With this in mind I removed the instrument cluster, took it apart and scanned the backplane. The idea was to integrate the new display into the dash pod as opposed to mount it on the steering column in front of the old one.

28140860608_916cdc0c7c_c.jpg

A couple of hours in the Illustrator playing with various dash templates and I had a nearly perfect match:

27144115647_a47e67ebb6_c.jpg

The new dash has lots of features which I don't immediately need but among the useful ones are:

- GPS module (e.g. for circuit driving as well as for measuring the speed - aka VBox)
- 8 screens of data (although I probably need only a couple - one for road use, another for showing the actual sensor data)
- Gear calculation & display based on speed and RPM (with the manual gearbox there was no way of knowing which gear you're in. Until now)
- Ability to add various CAN expansion modules (I use one for converting indicator/lights/fuel level sensors to CAN and displaying them on the dash)

28140860978_cd4298cf35_c.jpg

After making all the necessary brackets and wiring the dash:

41113762375_0099398b64_c.jpg

A quick test to confirm that it works in its new place:

41113762415_d253e073b6_c.jpg

I then took a drive down to the BOTG but arrived a fair bit later than planned due to 2853 traffic accidents that day, all on my way there:

42013843131_bd87c69539_c.jpg

Next on my list is to fit new injectors which will require a complete retune as well as iron out some issues.

Absolutely love what you are doing here with the OEM look and track car tech combination. True Street sleeper. Only 600 wheel Hp ....... That's a pretty incredible 750hp at the crank considering still only at 60% throttle. Will be interesting to see how the traction control deals with the finished engine. Cheers for the updates

It was great to see you again Alex and your amazing car at BOTG, a long time ago since the Trax at Silverstone.

The car looks even better in the flesh, so to speak. A great credit to you and all that where involved in the work.

That new dash is a really cool mod - especially with the flexibility it then gives you.

Can you change it so the highest number is more than 200 as I imagine that will be required...? :D

That dash is a work of art. Very impressed seeing it at BOTG last week.

Just Wow

Just read it all through and can only agree with all the others, I’m so impressed with your skills and knowledge.
It’s going to absolutely Epic! (with a capital E)

I’m hooked!

Thank you for the comments.

John, the dash will display 120, 160 and 200. It's done over the same scale which is not ideal as for example '30' is only available on the 120 speedo. On other two you have to work it out.

A bit of a slow progress at the moment due to business and other commitments. Nevertheless, the work on the car never stops. I'm on the next version of the fuel system. Trying to keep all of the components inside the original fuel tank proved to be difficult. After realising that I need to quadruple the amount of fuel pumps and fuel scavenging valves in the system, I decided that enough is enough and went a different route:

29042457608_a1e8d19edc_c.jpg

42196600934_4cd398ec3b_c.jpg

The new system will be dead simple - one fuel line to the injectors, one back. The pump is a brushless 500LPH unit with an external controller to slow down the flow when idling/cruising. The pump will sit inside the ATL gated fuel collector, surrounded by foam.

Apart from the fuel system, there's a few other things that need to be addressed once the car is back up and running again but I'm still hopeful for Septermber's VMax!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom