So, I bought a R107 :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
yes, it has the original springs, and used to drop easily with the spoiler on - unless really carefully opended.

i pleased its off - downside i need to fill the holes and respray the bootlid, but worth it IMO.

Holes are the devils own to fill. I de-badged mine and filled the holes. The filler seems to have shrunk back a tiny bit but enough to reveal where the holes were.

Would it be better to drop a little weld into the holes , then grind back to flat ?

Would it be better to drop a little weld into the holes , then grind back to flat ?

this is one option i thought of. possibly put a bolt in the hole 1st, then sort of weld that to the hole and grind back.

I also considered using some of that metal putty stuff and then grind that back, rather than traditional filler.

what about "denting" the hole before filling?

the other option of course is a good 2nd hand hole-free boot lid, but may aswell try with the one i have 1st.

Try filling the holes with solder then rubbing back. Even better if you can fill with lead.

I've also decided to put some later 15" flat face alloys on the car.

The rear spoiler is gone!! It was mounted with 6 holes, a couple of which had some surface rust on that I had to deal with along with a little spec (that ended up being quite a bit of rust) just popping out from the chrome handle. The whole bootlid has now been repainted. Not 100% happy with the finish of my paintwork to be honest but will live with it for now and revisit the paintwork later in the year. It really isnt the best time to be spraying in your home garage....

From this:

with_spoiler.jpg

to this: :eek:

holed.jpg

to this:

rear_2.jpg

rear_1.jpg

Very happy with the result :bannana:

Last edited:
:thumb:

If you're happy, then I'm happy! :D

Presume you'll be bringing the old jalopy along on Sunday?

:thumb:

If you're happy, then I'm happy! :D

Presume you'll be bringing the old jalopy along on Sunday?

If I said i was unhappy would you be unhappy and pay for it to be professionaly resprayed? :D:D i can always lie if needed :devil:

It wont be at the meet - i'll be bringing the 124 as John is hauling a set of 5 alloys for the SL with him I need to collect there. Dont fancy squeezing them into the SL :p Still dont know if they will fit the SL yet :eek:

They will, just, but only if the tyres are removed! Ask me how I know...;)
edit: remove your spare before you collect

Last edited:
R107 boot spoilers are the ultimate marmite.. i really think it looked better before!

I do know what you mean. I like them on and off.... and i think i prefer it off - atleast from the photos of SLs i've seen; in the "flesh" i'm not so sure, so i'm keeping it anyway for a while just incase i change my mind!

for me though its a retrofit as my car shouldnt have it anyway, and has the chrome handle..... and a big reason is that the boot now opens properly!! if it had it as standard i would of left it on.

very nice sl.. good work silversaloon.. one day ill have the time and money to have one too! I bet its a joy to drive in the sun!

R107 boot spoilers are the ultimate marmite.. i really think it looked better before!

I do know what you mean. I like them on and off.... and i think i prefer it off - atleast from the photos of SLs i've seen; in the "flesh" i'm not so sure, so i'm keeping it anyway for a while just incase i change my mind!

I like my rear spoiler, I know some people hate them (Stats007) but they are pure 80's and suit the car.

I see where you are coming from Silver Saloon, as they were never fitted to the 280, but if you like the spoiler so what, you put it back on your car.

I like my rear spoiler, I know some people hate them (Stats007) but they are pure 80's and suit the car.

I see where you are coming from Silver Saloon, as they were never fitted to the 280, but if you like the spoiler so what, you put it back on your car.

i'll probably leave it off but it was a job worth doing anyway to deal with the rust on the bootlid, even if i do put it back on one day.

Lovely SL, if it were mine I'd probably have kept the rear spoiler as I like 80s tat like that!

Looks great either way though.

Tim

deck it on air ride and get some vip style wheels :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom