So, I bought a R107 :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi

I've bought a R107. :bannana:

Any advice, tips, comments etc would be handy to maintain this beast! :)

Make friends with someone with a hoist. Have another:bannana:

Last edited:
Looks great!!

Maybe a name change is in order?? RedRoadster perhaps?? :D

They are great cars... I have had mine for 5 years now and everytime in it feels special.. they are amazing cars.

But they DO rot...when i was looking at them to buy this was the only rot free one i saw, and i looked at loads.

Now i keep her in a carcoon to give it lots of nice airflow and so far there hasnt been any major rust...

I also waxoyled the underside completely.

Try and keep her in a garage if at all possible.

Strange coincidence. In the past three weeks that's three 107s all in red that have the boot spoiler from a 500SL. Wrong!

popuptoaster..does your bootlid stay up OK on its own?

I dont have mine anymore, but yeah the boot used to stay up ok with the spoiler on it.

I thought it was an option? Ive seen them on lots of 300SL's...

Maybe on the facelift Jay but not before. The 500 either had stronger torsion bars or the ally bootlid compensated for the extra weight. Also, popuptoasters has the chin spoiler from the later car -as has mine- which I think really improves the look. Personal taste of course. :)

the kids will love it come the summer better get the belts in & if you got it at the right price you will never lose on it. that's got to be a good thing .....good luck with it:rock:

Strange coincidence. In the past three weeks that's three 107s all in red that have the boot spoiler from a 500SL. Wrong!

popuptoaster..does your bootlid stay up OK on its own?

I've found the knack to get the bootlid to stay up... if you open it quickly to its extreem it seems to sit there OK. if you do it slowly it seems to fall. maybe it will fall easier in the wind though.... previous owner had a stick in it given to me FOC :D but i've ditched it.

i think the spoiler was on it from factory - i've had a little look at the holes in the bootlid for it and they look like original holes, not some dodgy drill job. could be wrong though.

tested child seat in the rear today - not good - i doubt it will go in at all with the backrest on, maybe just the booster. still, very limited leg room back there.... no chance with my youngests car seat (still in "proper" car seat). Still, can put it in the front i guess if really have to.

But if the car is good and we keep it which i hope to do, they have many years to ride in it, but law states they need to be in a booser until 12 now which will restrict space even further.

I think i'm going to take it to a garage to give it a tune up - check the timing is ok etc. I assume i could do this myself with a strobe gun? is it hard? Druk, do you have one ;)

i also think the choke is kaput hence the difficulties in colder starts.... need to hold revs for a min or so to prevent stalling, as Derek (Druk) observed a few days ago!! Anyone any ideas on that as its my 1st most important mechanical fix i need to do as its quite annoying, and potentially embarassing!!

Nice car mate, but do you get much sun up there !?!?!?!

LOL - Enjoy your new toy, I'm looking foward to tracking the upgrades\addtions that I'm sure you have planned.

Any idea if a 280SL (1985) will have a OVP relay? i would like to take a look at the issue of the car struggling to start and then conking out unless you keep the rev up using the gas pedal. this only happens when the engine is cold. Starts fine when warm.

battery did go flat a few days ago but the doors were open all day and it had been started a few times without driving anywhere. I suspect it needs a new battery anyway but i guess that wouldnt cure the issue of it stalling unless you keep revs up.

any ideas on this?

cheers

i think the spoiler was on it from factory - i've had a little look at the holes in the bootlid for it and they look like original holes, not some dodgy drill job. could be wrong though.

If it is it will be the first one I've heard of.

I think i'm going to take it to a garage to give it a tune up - check the timing is ok etc. I assume i could do this myself with a strobe gun? is it hard? Druk, do you have one ;)

Real bummer to strobe cos of the airfilter.

i also think the choke is kaput hence the difficulties in colder starts.... need to hold revs for a min or so to prevent stalling, as Derek (Druk) observed a few days ago!! Anyone any ideas on that as its my 1st most important mechanical fix i need to do as its quite annoying, and potentially embarassing!!

No choke, just a cold start injector. Could be something to do with the fuel leak we smelled. Get that fixed first. Fuel pump losing residual pressure maybe? OVP is in drivers footwell above fuse box. Take cardboard cover off to access. You will need to go to the shops for a double jointed neck. Welcome to the world of the 107. :crazy: :crazy: :D

Last edited:
If it is it will be the first one I've heard of.

Real bummer to strobe cos of the airfilter.

No choke, just a cold start injector. Could be something to do with the fuel leak we smelled. Get that fixed first. Fuel pump losing residual pressure maybe? OVP is in drivers footwell above fuse box. Take cardboard cover off to access. You will need to go to the shops for a double jointed neck. Welcome to the world of the 107. :crazy: :crazy: :D

Yes Druk,

All good advice, but what do you think of the cars colour ? :devil: :devil:

Myabe its had the whole bootlid swopped,the spoiler would look factory then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom