So, I bought a R107 :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
apparently you can fix the rheostat.... i'm hoping 107 is the same as its £70 for one for a R107. I wonder if you can just bypass the dimmer and hardwire it to not dim anymore....?

heres a link to how to fix one:

http://articles.mbz.org/instrument/dimmer/

i also fixed my 124's dimmer by soldering the rear back on (thread on here somewhere).

Cheers, I've seen that link and figured as the rheostat is a whole £19 I'd just replace it. My intermittent and selective OCD couldn't live with a bit which wasn't working as designed - I do actually twiddle the dimmer as I find that its too bright out of town when fully lit..

I'm just happy the last two fixes on the CE have only cost double figures :eek:

Keep up the postings, makes pleasant reading when things actually get solved. :)

Ade

The reason I said that the OVP is in the drivers footwell is because that's where it is in an '81 and an '88 R107. They seem to shift these things around willy nilly. Maybe it's where it is in yours is because of that 'US spec' thing. Who knows. An '88 has a 126 part number so no reasoning there either. Maybe the ABS fault is because you have the wrong relay as Grober said.
If your cluster is the same as mine it just hooks out the same as them all. The wheel needs to come off. The speedo is electronic so no cable.

i need to take the steering wheel off to centre it anyway. Previous owner said that track rod end's thread was iffy on it, so they adjusted it both sides so that the bolt is not over the thread - the steering wheel is crooked because of it, but car drives in straight line, so i will probably just adjust at the wheel end until i get round to changing the TRE. I've taken a look at them and they seem OK.

clip from the wiring diagram for my car. 'd' is the reostat.

Scannedat20-01-200912-06.jpg

The dash lights dont come on occasioanlly in my coupe, fixed by thumping the top of the dash. :D

just gone out in it to the Dealer - lights are back working again :D

thats one easy fix anyway :)

it also looks like i only need 4 new wheel bolts - all the rest are original and correct.

Ah the joys of owning an old car, all made worth it by the first sunny day you take it out though.

Ah the joys of owning an old car, all made worth it by the first sunny day you take it out though.

yeah cant wait to drive it with the hood down!

hopefully by that time, i'll have all the bodywork fixed!

I get excited when i can wind the coupes rear windows down as well as the fronts, i do miss having a soft top, but i already have two old cars that still need finishing, cant go getting another one just yet. :D

Congrats on the new addition! My first impression of my W107 is how well built it is and how much it feels like a tank and how saf you feel in it! Enjoy!

minor update;

tonight i thought i'd quickly take a look at how the 124 wood and leather wheel would look in the 107. It fitted (only checked physically, didnt connect electrics etc but looked same as 124) - but i think i prefer the original feel of the old wheel. Its all part of the whole 80's SL thing for me :)

anyway, when i had the wheel off the car i decided to put it back on straight and also take a look at why the ABS light isnt working. Simple fix - the bulb had just come away from its seating in the cluster - so it was working but you couldnt see it. clipped back in and working fine and goes off a few seconds after starting the car :bannana:

Cruise control was also working on the way and way back from the Scottish meet. occasionally didnt though. If you hold up the stalk it always accelerates the car - but doesnt hold the speed always. so its always partly working.....

now the scottish meet is over, the car is now going to be dismantled in part for bodywork fixes. updates to follow...

Been looking at the headlamp wash/wipe system of the R107.....

One word: WOW. Its severely over complex and all the parts new are wallet bustingly expensive (well over £1000 for all bits!)

Worlds apart from the system in the W124. (but i wonder if these can be crafted on somehow but space may be an issue)

i'm hoping a clean out of the whole mechansim once its off the car and maybe try to dismantle the gearing and grease it etc etc will get it working again.

Crazy stuff!!

If i cant get it to work down to one or two parts, i reckon if i remove it from the car completely (which i'd rather do than have something there that is not working) i'll sell all the relevant parts and make a killing!!

I know removing the headlamp wipers/washers was quite popular on R129s in the US ... just to get a cleaner look.

I know removing the headlamp wipers/washers was quite popular on R129s in the US ... just to get a cleaner look.

i like them there if they work. Its amazing how dirty lights effect the amount of light the car spreads in front of you - wouldnt be without them on the W124 and miss then on the R107. The lights are bad enough on the 107.... i will probably be fitting uprated bulbs aswell when i have the lights out as the lighting isnt the best

Truth is Derek, I've had my 107 for years now and hardly ever have the thing out in the dark. It's basically a summer car; off the road from Oct till April. If the lights are that bad (mine are OK) you'll probably find that the reflectors are shot. Not an uncommon prob. Throw the h/l wipers away they're more bother than they're worth.

Truth is Derek, I've had my 107 for years now and hardly ever have the thing out in the dark. It's basically a summer car; off the road from Oct till April. If the lights are that bad (mine are OK) you'll probably find that the reflectors are shot. Not an uncommon prob. Throw the h/l wipers away they're more bother than they're worth.

i want to keep them if i can get them working again at minimal cost, otherwise i will take them off. definatly wont be throwing them away though - i suspect the parts are worth quite a bit....

i agree about the headlamps - i doubt i'll be taking it out in the dark at all. i will probably just clean up the inside lense - it looks a bit dusty on the inside. they are not really bad, but not as good as my 124 was even before the uprated bulbs.

By a number? ;):D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom