• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Space Shuttle lift off

All over now but only a few weeks to go until it starts again.
I must confess to watching every minute of the mission and to say I was impressed with the ISS Commander would be an understatement to end all understatements. The work rate, work load and responsibilities of this individual were way, way beyond anything I could ever dream of aspiring to. Mega respect, and mega admiration.

jsc2001-03044.jpg

Very true John.

By the way i've not forgotten about the info mate it will be on its way to you i've just been kinda swamped with it.

Here we go again for another scheduled lauch. STS123 is due for lift off on tuesday and just looking at Florida from the Space Station, the wether is looking good with only a 10% chance of not launching. STS122 had a 75% chance of not launching on the scheduled time but it managed to just squeeze into the time slot.

each launch now appears to be breaking new limits and this latest one is no exception.

Endeavour's 16-day flight is the longest shuttle mission to the station and will include five spacewalks.

The shuttle also will deliver a new crew member and bring back another one after a seven-week mission.

We are looking at an average age of about 47 (quick mental arithmatic jobbies) with this being the first space flight for 4 of the seven crew. Oldest crew member being 54 and the youngest is a 37 year old US Major.

Looks like I will be glued to NASA TV for long periods of the day.

regards
John

Looks like I will be glued to NASA TV for long periods of the day.

Ah it could be worse John mate.

Incidentally did you see the ATV launch?

Ah it could be worse John mate.

Incidentally did you see the ATV launch?
Yes thanks, I wonder if we will be seeing it during this mission?

regards
John

I don't think so not in its current orbit.

They want to keep it well away from the ISS and more importantly the shuttle until its 100% checked out especially since its engine troubles.

I don't think so not in its current orbit.

They want to keep it well away from the ISS and more importantly the shuttle until its 100% checked out especially since its engine troubles.
That is what I understood?? But I'm sure I heard (only once) that they intended standing this thing a short distance off from the space station until the mission was completed and then carry out various manouvres. Approaching the docking bay, reversing off, approaching and circling.

I also understood the thing can carry approximately 5 tonnes of cargo, it can then be loaded with disposable rubbish and rhen pointed back towards Earth wherre it will allegedly burn up on re-entry? I'm sure I misheard and tomorrow I will be swatting up on it :)

I do love this topic.

Many thanks again for everything

Kind regards
John

That is what I understood?? But I'm sure I heard (only once) that they intended standing this thing a short distance off from the space station until the mission was completed and then carry out various manouvres. Approaching the docking bay, reversing off, approaching and circling.

I also understood the thing can carry approximately 5 tonnes of cargo, it can then be loaded with disposable rubbish and rhen pointed back towards Earth wherre it will allegedly burn up on re-entry? I'm sure I misheard and tomorrow I will be swatting up on it :)

I do love this topic.

Many thanks again for everything

Kind regards
John

You heard right mate, they have about a week now to get comfortable with how it behaves and then they will stick it in a parking orbit until the shuttle undocks then do a few collision avoidance test runs then they can dock.

Once its cargo has been offloaded it will be a trash can for 6 months then they will cut it loose, slow it down and it will burn up over the pacific.

Also looking forward to seeing if Peggy Whitson has slowed down, that woman is amazing knows no bounds regarding work load\rate.

sad that she will be returning to Earth in the Russian vehicle as she more than anyone else deserves recognition. Although having said that I'm sure she would not want TV camera's thrust in her face when she first arrives back on our gravity loaded enviroment. :) (Hero worship)

Regards
John

This shuttle was a night-time launch and I thought I would mention the great one liner made by the commander of the shuttle just before launch.

"Lets light 'em up..... and give 'em a show!"

It came out in a conversation between the commander and launch director as they were getting authority for the launch.

Just after take off the public commentator came out with....... "The Florida coast gets an early sunrise!"

This was said just as the shuttle was about to pass through some clouds and the flare of the rockets was illuminating the sky for miles.

Brilliant, spectacular launch. Mega impressive.

John

If anyone has a spare five minutes then I can once more recommend this link

One day I will live my dream..... One day :o :)

There are a few minor problems at the moment.

Regards
John

Blooming typical,
I post the link saying how spectacular the pictures are and they have now gone back to showing the NASA control centre :o :o :o

For the last hour I have been watching highlights of two astronauts working outside the space station and the pictures have been amazing, but they have now gone back inside and having some time off.

John

Science fiction or science fact.

This is the latest picture of the Space Station and just look at how it is growing.

The next mission will see a large module that will get attached to this station making it even bigger. Absolutely amazing and something that a few years ago was science fiction.... Now it is science fact. :) :bannana:

160328main_s123e009262_small.jpg

Today sees the return of the record breaking STS 123 mision :)

Regards
John

regards
John

http://tinyurl.com/2sr8jb

Don't know if you have this site John.
Thanks very much, it looks like they are highlighting a few of the many NASA images. Fantastic viewing.

The European supply vessel is now apart to steer towards the station for undocking.

Shuttle is due to land tonight our time

regards
John

Almost every mission!

A few 10's of K's worth of damage there, and we think our windscreen's are expensive.

Incidentally John, Peggy was lively as usual.

Attachments

• sts123_mmod01.jpg
    sts123_mmod01.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 45
Almost every mission!

A few 10's of K's worth of damage there, and we think our windscreen's are expensive.

Incidentally John, Peggy was lively as usual.
I thought she looked a little tired :) but by crikey she was still working exceedingly hard. I wonder if I'm her number one fan? :devil: ;)

Her work load is phenominal and if she was paid on an hourly rate then NASA would be bankrupt :) Shame though that she is returning on a Russian capsule; although there is no way she will be able to walk out to a full welcome home ceremony.

Just a few hours to go before the landing.

Regards
John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom