• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Space Shuttle lift off

I guess she's been doing a lot of sleep shifting lately and its just catching up with her but she's not got long to go now.

Still quick enough to tackle Garrett as he made a run for the airlock and swing him toward the back of the lab.

I guess she's been doing a lot of sleep shifting lately and its just catching up with her but she's not got long to go now.

Still quick enough to tackle Garrett as he made a run for the airlock and swing him toward the back of the lab.
I noticed how the sleeping patterns have changed.

I wondre if they keep putting their clocks forward as they navigate around the World:devil: :devil:

regards
John

The shuttle landing has just been aborted due to poor landing conditions, it has been waved off. Hopefully a second attempt will be carried out in three hours time, this will then become a night landing. If the weather doesn't improve they will be up there for at least another day.

Regards
John

A safe landing after a very long, record breaking flight, but who cares??

I find it sad that the only time these missions make national headlines is when they fail! Shame on the media and shame on our lethargic attitude.

Charlie Drake and all his ten pin bowling oppo's must be turning in their coffin's when they hover above a generation of computer playing couch spud's that prefer playing computer games as opposed to exploration. As Delia Smith once said

Space the final frontier

The latest STS mission has now successfully connected the Japanese Laboratory to the International Space Station

239411main_garan-m_428-321.jpg

What I found really fascinating and it made me think; was last night some astronauts placed one of their colleagues right in the centre of the new laboratory. This person was laid horizontal, in mid air and then released. The poor devil was stuck! They twisted, turned, tried swimming, kicking doing somersaults, but they got nowhere!!!! I suppose when we think about it, this is obvious; the person had no momentum to move and no surface to gain adhesion. :eek: :eek: Once they can move then it is great fun. The astronauts zip across the station 'flying' from one section to another at a great rate of knots, but they need a platform to push off from.

Great coverage as usual on NASA TV.

Regards
John

It's that time again :)

Glued to NASA TV for the next 13 days :D

I'd love to see one of these live one day.

touched a bit of the moon in the air and space museum in Washington in 1977 and been smitten ever since.

I'd love to see one of these live one day.

touched a bit of the moon in the air and space museum in Washington in 1977 and been smitten ever since.

I must admit there is a list of boxes that I need to tick before I leave this planet and a live space shuttle launch is one of them. Been in the US twice when I could have gone to a launch but on both occasions they were postponed. Such a difficult thing to plan too for a holiday if the launch keeps getting put back, still one day :)

The latest STS mission has now successfully connected the Japanese Laboratory to the International Space Station

239411main_garan-m_428-321.jpg

What I found really fascinating and it made me think; was last night some astronauts placed one of their colleagues right in the centre of the new laboratory. This person was laid horizontal, in mid air and then released. The poor devil was stuck! They twisted, turned, tried swimming, kicking doing somersaults, but they got nowhere!!!! I suppose when we think about it, this is obvious; the person had no momentum to move and no surface to gain adhesion. :eek: :eek: Once they can move then it is great fun. The astronauts zip across the station 'flying' from one section to another at a great rate of knots, but they need a platform to push off from.

Great coverage as usual on NASA TV.

Regards
John

Perhaps I am missing something crucial here, but couldnt they "blow" their way just enough to get to something solid to then propel themselves from?

Perhaps I am missing something crucial here, but couldnt they "blow" their way just enough to get to something solid to then propel themselves from?

Maybe his mouth is too far from his CoG, so he only rotated?

I'm not a physicist but i think this would be like trying to move underwater by blowing out mouthfuls of water, the theory is correct but the inertia is too great. a high pressure air jet might work pretty well in space - just as a hosepipe might do the trick underwater but mouth power alone in either scenario isnt going to cut it.

Just happened to be in the car at the right time to catch the most recent launch - this was from Orlando - about 60 miles from the launch pad.

SDC10264.jpg

SDC10263.jpg

SDC10262.jpg

SDC10261.jpg

SDC10260.jpg

I never even knew there were two launch pads. BBC link

'Space shuttle Atlantis (L) sits alongside Endeavour (R) at Kennedy Space Center. With the shuttle programme due to close in 2010, it is probably the last time two shuttles will be on launch pads at the same time.'

Last edited:
I never even knew there were two launch pads. BBC link

'Space shuttle Atlantis (L) sits alongside Endeavour (R) at Kennedy Space Center. With the shuttle programme due to close in 2010, it is probably the last time two shuttles will be on launch pads at the same time.'

What is the replacement for the Shuttle? Anyone know?

didn't Ford use to race a Transit that looked like that ? :D

I do vaguely recall what you mention but I cant find any reference to it anywhere. Perhaps we both imagined it................

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom