Speaker rattle with Burmeister on new 205 C Class

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'll be amazed if they can. This issue is all over the web and I haven't seen an outright fix as yet. My dealer had 4 goes at it and the a technical bulletin from MB suggested replacement of the ambient lighting, which I had to say did improve it. It's still an unacceptable sound though.

My previous W204 had the HK audio which was fantastic, and you can here the Burmester is wanting to be better than this-but wrecked by this annoying problem.

I'll be amazed if they can. This issue is all over the web and I haven't seen an outright fix as yet. My dealer had 4 goes at it and the a technical bulletin from MB suggested replacement of the ambient lighting, which I had to say did improve it. It's still an unacceptable sound though.

My previous W204 had the HK audio which was fantastic, and you can here the Burmester is wanting to be better than this-but wrecked by this annoying problem.

I agree. Mine too has had replacement mood lighting and i think more than once. Still it sounds horrific.

I've written to a couple of magazines now to see if i can get any help from them. Ill keep you posted

I have the car back...... and yes, it's still vibrating. A member of their team heard all the vibrations too.

Stockport have admitted they can do no more. Its time to reject the car. I'm waiting to hear from them to understand the process of them taking the car back and getting my money back. Enough is enough now :fail

A good track to test the problem is Extraordinary by Clean Bandit. It has a strong Piano introduction. It makes my dashboard seem like its going to explode, even with no volume !!

Also, ensure surround sound settings are turned on and that the correct Bass etc is on and not turned down as mine had been reset.

I had my P.A sit in the car and even she made the 'embarrassing' comment that her Ford KA doesn't vibrate and sound this bad. Not good :devil:

Picked up my new December registered C200 Premium Plus with piano black trim (chrome surround to chrome speakers) no rattles.

However, I think they may have done a cost down in either speakers, amplifier or DAC as it doesn't appear to sound as good as my Neighbour's 2014 Burmester. I found another person on the internet who made a similar comment.

My treble sounds a tad harsher, less musical with more bloated bass, but need to do a side to side comparison. Also I have not 'burnt in' the speakers yet, and may sound better after piling on more hours.

But still sounds much better than a BMW 4 series Harman Kardon which sounds really harsh and brash to my ears with less detail.

uumode said:
Picked up my new December registered C200 Premium Plus with piano black trim (chrome surround to chrome speakers) no rattles. However, I think they may have done a cost down in either speakers, amplifier or DAC as it doesn't appear to sound as good as my Neighbour's 2014 Burmester. I found another person on the internet who made a similar comment. My treble sounds a tad harsher, less musical with more bloated bass, but need to do a side to side comparison. Also I have not 'burnt in' the speakers yet, and may sound better after piling on more hours. But still sounds much better than a BMW 4 series Harman Kardon which sounds really harsh and brash to my ears with less detail.

Turn the midrange to -5 it makes a huge improvement.

its not the speakers rattling, its the ambient lighting. Mine have been in and been repaired, now no rattles whatsoever, they added more clips, and i think glued ambient lighting in place also, whatever it was they have done, its worked perfectly as im not even getting that really annoying vibrating sound which i could never pin point, which made noise regardless of music being on or off, something was rattling over certain road surfaces which bugged me beyond belief!! its all sorted so hats off to the dealership. its sorted.

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited:
A good track to test the problem is Extraordinary by Clean Bandit. It has a strong Piano introduction. It makes my dashboard seem like its going to explode, even with no volume !!

Also, ensure surround sound settings are turned on and that the correct Bass etc is on and not turned down as mine had been reset.

That's a good tip (above this post) about the midrange to negative settings. I have it on -3, it just balances the sound better (nothing to do with speaker / panel vibrations on mine).

You have to be really careful about the tracks you pick. I wish it would play hi-def audio, the system is up to the challenge, so why does it only play mp3?
I have some good sounding mp3's though.

One thing a find slightly annoying is there is no volume indication to give feedback where you are on the volume scale.

I've also looked in the online instruction manual and can't seem to find the microphone feature where it engages road noise cancellation?

One thing a find slightly annoying is there is no volume indication to give feedback where you are on the volume scale.

Yeh it can be a memory-test to see where you left the volume when you parked up. I've learned to turn it down / mute it before I get out :)

I've also looked in the online instruction manual and can't seem to find the microphone feature where it engages road noise cancellation?

I don't think it has that feature. Nearest would be the speed related auto volume. I can't recall what its name is, and although I have it turned off the volume does adjust slightly between standstill and motorway speeds.

Ah I see - I haven't seen / used this.

Interesting it says that you can play 5.1 - but what format?? I'm sure on another thread it lists the formats the system will play but typically I can't find the thread.
I'd also be willing to bet a months wages that you could ring your local dealer and they won't have a bl00dy clue.

Last edited:
Finally, my car has now been taken back by Mercedes. I got 3 offers:

A deal on a new car
A full refund on the premium plus pack - £2800
Give the car back, have all finance settled and receive a small 'settlement'

I took the latter option. Mercedes know this is an issue and , currently, it cannot be fixed.

Whilst i must say Mercedes Benz Stockport were very accommodating both in terms of service and the quality of vehicles always provided to me ( I had a new s class for 2 weeks) they could do little to get my car to a standard i saw as suitable for such a premium brand.

That's quite sad news. You're definitely in the minority of people with issues but I'll bet it's put you off the brand :(

Reading this, makes me want to cancel my order:mad::mad:

I thought Mercedes was a step up from VAG.

Rappy:cool:

Reading this, makes me want to cancel my order:mad::mad:

I thought Mercedes was a step up from VAG.

Rappy:cool:

I too felt like cancelling my order due to known issues of

Wind noise at the top of the front doors (some claim it is the wing mirror design)

Rattling speaker (transpires to be ambient lighting)

Console rattles

Poor fitting petrol door

Poor alignment of handles

Poor paint finish with orange peal

LED door handle lighting keeps blowing

COMAND freezing

No direct volume control or next track control (silly journalists)

ECU problems and go going into limp mode

ILED failure

Over zealous autonomous braking.

But I needn't have worried in my particular cars case.
It's a dream and a real peach.

- except my phone does play internet with it.
And I get no oil reading on remote access (design issue rather than defect)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom