Speeding advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Got the notice of prosecution for excess speed from Hampshire constabulary yesterday,alleged offence of speeding -motor vehicle exceeded 70mph on a dual carriageway,recorded at 95mph which falls just within conditional offer(87-95),96 and over is prosecution.

I got caught so only myself to blame,+1mph could make all the difference looking at the history most 95and under in a 70 in hants got 3 points and £100 fine over that was 6points and bigger fines at best......

If a Fixed Penalty has been offered then make sure you comply with all the requirements (surrender of licence, etc.) as Court will be a much more expensive exercise.

I had similar, long time back now in the early 2000s, 95 on the m61. 6 points and 100 quid but no ban, made me think.

Stevehg wrote:-

58 in a 30 is just 'bleep' reckless.

To then joke about your brakes, state that you were lucky to get away with a lower offense and that you were annoyed is beyond belief.

I'm no saint when it comes to speeding, and generally feel this country is overzealous with speeding and speed limits, especially on motorways. However, with people like you driving around, maybe it's a good thing.

--------------------0-------------------

As I've been called a moron, I feel some background is required here..

The trap speed of 58 was during overtaking, I'm not in the habit of driving at those speeds all the time, I wouldn't have a 40 year record of obeying the law othwewise.

The road was a dual carridgeway, exactly the type of road that is deristricted in Germany. A 30MPH limit on this type of road is ridiculous, but the Government do plenty of things that are ridiculous.

I stated I was annoyed to break a 40 yeear clean record, that seems resasonable to me. I was annoyed because it was my fault. I'd have no reason to be annoyed otherwise.

The law is the law and I was caught breaking it. I'm not complaining, but in this instance, the speed limit on that particular road has more to do with local authority income, nothing to do with public safety..

Last edited:
If a Fixed Penalty has been offered then make sure you comply with all the requirements (surrender of licence, etc.) as Court will be a much more expensive exercise.

Only required to fill out and sign paperwork with licence details but. It said not to send the licence at this point-would happily take 3 points and a fine at this point.......

Got the notice of prosecution for excess speed from Hampshire constabulary yesterday,alleged offence of speeding -motor vehicle exceeded 70mph on a dual carriageway,recorded at 95mph which falls just within conditional offer(87-95),96 and over is prosecution.
A mate was pulled over a couple of years ago on the M6. He told me he knew he was doing over 100mph and was expecting to be hauled off to court for a driving ban. However, the police officer involved said to him that his awareness of what was happening around him and his road manners had been impeccable, so he would only book him for 95mph. My pal has since mended his ways.

Back in the day, I was a traffic bobby - I rode a motorbike most of the time. I've lost count of the number of speeders I caught that I 'let off' ('cautioned', I should say!) after suitable advice was given, and, for the most part, gratefully accepted. That was back when common sense was built into the equation - I could take into account all the circumstances relating to the offence, then decide on a suitable course of action. I could use my discretion.

Back in the day, the Daily Mail newspaper, amongst others, ran a very high profile campaign that was hyper-critical of traffic police 'persecuting' motorists, and the oft-heard rallying cry was 'haven't they got anything better to do'.

Back in the day, traffic bobbies started to be moved to other duties, or simply used on other duties, whilst looking as if they were still traffic bobbies, and policing the roads started to become a much lower priority - our bosses, and the politicians, could say 'this is what the public want', and it rather conveniently coincided with budget cuts and general belt-tightening in many force areas.

Enforcement moved towards automated systems, or at least systems where there was no direct interaction between enforcer and offender. I, and others like me, were out of the loop. It won't be too long before your vehicle tells the system you're speeding - your ticket will drop through your letterbox, and the only human involvement will have been someone posting the ticket at one end, and delivering it at the other.

I wonder how long it'll be before the Daily Mail starts a campaign calling for the return of the 'good old traffic bobby'?! ;)

Too late, methinks! :D

Pete

Why bother with posting a ticket?

You could cut the humans out altogether and just have a direct debit set up. If they were really kind they could send you a text informing you you've been done.

Eventually (when there are enough number plate reading cameras) this system would also allow you to pay per mile of travel, and just a add small premium for speeding. No need for the car to know where it is - big brother would know that for you

Plenty of people do it, don't get caught and then claim to be saints. Lol. Good to see you accept it and move on.

I haven't had any points for speeding in a very long time as most of the camera's get you from the back and even when they get you from the front the pictures are normally that low quality I can never tell if it's me or my wife.
I have a terrible memory and I would not want to falsely furnish the form
(Remember what happened to the MP and his wife)
So I'm unable to 100% identify the driver which is very unfortunate.

I haven't had any points for speeding in a very long time as most of the camera's get you from the back and even when they get you from the front the pictures are normally that low quality I can never tell if it's me or my wife.
I have a terrible memory and I would not want to falsely furnish the form
(Remember what happened to the MP and his wife)
So I'm unable to 100% identify the driver which is very unfortunate.

As long as you exercise reasonable diligence in identifying the driver, you'll be fine. If you don't.....you won't! ;)

Pete

Got offer of fixed penalty charge(£100) and 3 points in post today,paid the fine over phone,licence in post back-can't complain,lesson learnt.......

Why bother with posting a ticket?

You could cut the humans out altogether and just have a direct debit set up. If they were really kind they could send you a text informing you you've been done.

Eventually (when there are enough number plate reading cameras) this system would also allow you to pay per mile of travel, and just a add small premium for speeding. No need for the car to know where it is - big brother would know that for you

Sounds fair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom