• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Stop expanding the ULEZ to all the London boroughs in 2023

Still plenty of nearly new low mileage EV vans with massive discounts. Check out the e-sprinters on AT. £21,500 including vat for a 21 plate e-sprinter with 10,000 miles on it. That is a £45,000 + vat van brand new. No one bar Amazon etc wants them it seems.

But I don’t want a 21 plate electric Sprinter.

even then it will only affect freelance contractors using 8 years old (or older) Diesel vans - the overall affect across couriers and supermarket chains will be miniscule
So basically the big companies are ok and will get more business because the small independents are the ones who can't afford to replace older equipment so are put at further commercial disadvantage?

Sounds good to me. Not.

Still plenty of nearly new low mileage EV vans with massive discounts. Check out the e-sprinters on AT. £21,500 including vat for a 21 plate e-sprinter with 10,000 miles on it. That is a £45,000 + vat van brand new. No one bar Amazon etc wants them it seems.

Down here in London, almost all vans operated by national companies are EVs. This includes Amazon, DPD, UPS, BT, Royal Mail, etc etc.

I guess that smaller operators and independent contractors are less keen on the idea.

So basically the big companies are ok and will get more business because the small independents are the ones who can't afford to replace older equipment so are put at further commercial disadvantage?

Sounds good to me. Not.

I was merely putting straight the facts. The merit - or lack of - is a matter of opinion.

Down here in London, almost all vans operated by national companies are EVs. This includes Amazon, DPD, UPS, BT, Royal Mail, etc etc.

I guess that smaller operators and independent contractors are less keen on the idea.
Matey of mine works for Cadent and has an electric Vauxhall van that has given him a shed load of grief.

Matey of mine works for Cadent and has an electric Vauxhall van that has given him a shed load of grief.

Possibly that's why tradesmen and contractors avoid them once they hit the second hand-hand market.

Correct, nobody in their right mind would buy one hence the bargain price. The WLTP range when new was ... drum roll ... 95 miles. Real-world range now loaded up on a cold & rainy day ... maybe 70 miles?

The replacement version has a WLTP range of 248 miles - I doubt they'll be giving those away.

Correct, nobody in their right mind would buy one hence the bargain price. The WLTP range when new was ... drum roll ... 95 miles. Real-world range now loaded up on a cold & rainy day ... maybe 70 miles?

The replacement version has a WLTP range of 248 miles - I doubt they'll be giving those away.
Plenty of room in the back for a generator though! 😅

Yeah no one’s had a modern diesel van with issues? 😅

Someone I know had a low mileage Renault Master DCI that suffered engine failure with about 40k miles.

Someone on here had an AMG petrol V8 that went pop!

I have to say though the range on those vans seems poor, perhaps because they’re early models which are basically adapted ICE vehicles rather than being designed for electric from the ground up?

Yeah no one’s had a modern diesel van with issues? 😅

Someone I know had a low mileage Renault Master DCI that suffered engine failure with about 40k miles.

Someone on here had an AMG petrol V8 that went pop!

I have to say though the range on those vans seems poor, perhaps because they’re early models which are basically adapted ICE vehicles rather than being designed for electric from the ground up?
It’s like this. Brand new in February.

Hi , the Portuguese drivers of older cars don't mess about with the Major of Lisbon with nice words etc.

On Sunday thousand of motorcycles and hundreds of cars drove in slow motion around Lisbon no doubt causing chaos !

Hi , the Portuguese drivers of older cars don't mess about with the Major of Lisbon with nice words etc.

On Sunday thousand of motorcycles and hundreds of cars drove in slow motion around Lisbon no doubt causing chaos !

And pollution... :(

Hi , no doubt you are correct but a few years ago Lisbon introduced an emission zone and the pollution increased !

However , it was quickly discovered that aircraft were a contributor to the problem ( flight goes over the city ) and large cruise ships did not help.

Portugal is spending EU money electrifying old lines and building new lines.

In Faro I have found a few working charge points.

NHS forced to spend almost £65m to make ambulances ULEZ compliant

Interesting arithmetic. The DM claims 279 vehicles to be replaced at cost of £140K each - so £40 million. So something else must be involved to reach £65 million.

But .... they also claim 12.50 per day per vehicle charge - well that would be 279*365.25*12.50 per year - so 1.3 million per year. So how long would these vehicles last ? 10 years? 15 at most? Well that's maybe between £13 million and £20 million.

But hang on a minute .... were ambulances not exempt from the charge ?

So thanks DM - clickbait headline - and no real sense because if I'm right about the exemption above the real scandal is spending anything on compliant vehicles.

OTOH if the stupid ULEZ is so critical to health the scandal is they didn't replace them long ago *at any price*.

:rolleyes:

As said above, those numbers don’t add up and the whole thing doesn’t make any sense?

I’d have thought the London Ambulance Service would have been driving in around the two previous ULEZ zones for several years now anyway and there was supposed to be exemptions in place for the transition period.

Nothing surprises me for a sensationalist Daily Mail article though! :)

Interesting arithmetic. The DM claims 279 vehicles to be replaced at cost of £140K each - so £40 million. So something else must be involved to reach £65 million.

But .... they also claim 12.50 per day per vehicle charge - well that would be 279*365.25*12.50 per year - so 1.3 million per year. So how long would these vehicles last ? 10 years? 15 at most? Well that's maybe between £13 million and £20 million.

But hang on a minute .... were ambulances not exempt from the charge ?

So thanks DM - clickbait headline - and no real sense because if I'm right about the exemption above the real scandal is spending anything on compliant vehicles.

OTOH if the stupid ULEZ is so critical to health the scandal is they didn't replace them long ago *at any price*.

:rolleyes:
So how much has the ULEZ cost the cash strapped ambulance service?

ULEZ or no ULEZ, you would have thought that the ambulance service wouldn't want to operate vehicles that are counterproductive to public health?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom