• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Stop expanding the ULEZ to all the London boroughs in 2023

I knew somebody would bring that one up. One of my black cab driver mates mentioned it a while ago when we were talking about it but I think I was living in Greece when it happened.

I was caught-out and actually managed to get a PCN for not paying the CC, during the very short period that the extension was in operation......... :(

It still hurts :D

EDIT: the A41 was the northern border of the extension zone, but not included in the zone. I came from the north (i.e. from outside the zone) and drove onto the A41 as I've done may times before, and thought nothing of it. When the PCN arrived in the post, I realised that while the A41 wasn't in the new zone, the slip road leading to it, was! In short, there was no way to get onto the A41 from the direction I was coming from, without paying the charge. Total madness, and good riddance!

Last edited:
For the record, personally I am in favour of ULEZ, and if the cameras will also be used for road charging, that's fine with me as well.

As for privacy concerns.... well, certainly, the handful of people who have no mobile phone, no Internet at home, no bank cards, an old car that is not 'connected', and never drive on roads with ANPR, will be disadvantaged if ULEZ cameras are introduced in areas they drive though. But for anyone else... you'll be naive to think that a few more cameras on our roads will make any difference to the massive amount of information collected about you all day, every day.
I’m not in favour of the way ULEZ has been forced on us but agree on the fact that something needs to be done, people living out in the sticks but fall into the zone have every right to be extremely pissed off.

Also I have a problem with the political part of it.

Regarding road pricing and I think I’ve asked this before, will we pay on top on VED and congestion charge? If so it’s just another tax dressed up under a different name.

I haven’t got a problem at all with more cameras. If Big Brother wants to snoop on my everyday goings on then knock yourself out matey.

I was caught-out and actually managed to get a PCN for not paying the CC, during the very short period that the extension was in operation......... :(

It still hurts :D
So it was in action and then got stopped?? I was under the impression it was aborted before it took off.

Regarding road pricing and I think I’ve asked this before, will we pay on top on VED and congestion charge? If so it’s just another tax dressed up under a different name.

I think that road pricing should replace VED.

I suppose it depends on the price per mile but as we both know we will pay more.

No govt is going to want to lose out.

But on the plus side, those living in uncongested rural areas and not driving much, will pay little or no tax?

Depending on the price per mile.
We already pay per mile with the tax on the fuel we pump into the tank.
I was speaking to someone about 6 months ago who seemed to have a little inside knowledge. He thought that as more people switch to electric cars, smart meters would be able to detect when a car is being charged and increase the tariff to collect extra tax.
For those of us left in fossil fuel cars and probably electric cars also, sat nav/roadside cameras, etc will be able to detect our movements and charge per mile depending on the road type, congestion levels, time of day, etc.

I was speaking to someone about 6 months ago who seemed to have a little inside knowledge. He thought that as more people switch to electric cars, smart meters would be able to detect when a car is being charged and increase the tariff to collect extra tax.
You can always charge using a standard 13A plug though.

We already pay per mile with the tax on the fuel we pump into the tank.
For those of us left in fossil fuel cars and probably electric cars also, sat nav/roadside cameras, etc will be able to detect our movements and charge per mile depending on the road type, congestion levels, time of day, etc.
I’m so glad I’m old and most likely be dead within 20 years. I can then leave the crap behind.

I’m so glad I’m old and most likely be dead within 20 years....

No you won't... you run a healthy lifestyle: cycling, and doing active physical work, etc... I suggest a backup plan re your current EV strategy of ignoring it, just in case :D

But on the plus side, those living in uncongested rural areas and not driving much, will pay little or no tax?
I live outside the m25 in a semi rural area (just outside the crazy ulez zone) and drive everyday. You can’t rely on public transport here.

I agree with Darrel. I commute into London (for over 30 years) on a m/cycle and congestion hasn’t changed much at all.

And whilst there is pollution in London it is only in certain areas, therefore the ulez extension is totally unnecessary. It’s a money spinner. Khan gets driven to a convenient tube station in his RR, making it look like he uses public transport. ****er.

I live outside the m25 in a semi rural area (just outside the crazy ulez zone) and drive everyday. You can’t rely on public transport here.

I agree with Darrel. I commute into London (for over 30 years) on a m/cycle and congestion hasn’t changed much at all.

And whilst there is pollution in London it is only in certain areas, therefore the ulez extension is totally unnecessary. It’s a money spinner. Khan gets driven to a convenient tube station in his RR, making it look like he uses public transport. ****er.
I think the data re the congestion charge is skewed.

"Tripped over a EV cable ?", "You are owed thousands in Compensation" 😁 :banana:
And had to wait 3 hours for an ambulance to go to a hospital where everyone is on strike and there are no beds!! 🤯🤯

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom