• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Stop expanding the ULEZ to all the London boroughs in 2023

But what's the alternative? The future of personal transport is electric. This is a global tend (at lease in the West) that is unlikely to be reversed. We simply need to get on with the business of installing more public chargers.
Who knows. Is electric really the way forward?

Are they having the same issues in China or India?

Why are 40 year old cars exempt? They must be one of the worst polluting vehicles yet will be exempt from ULEZ. Bristol has the same ish policy and my brother in law happily drives his series 3 Land Rover free of charges 😂

By the way, there are some nice 40 year+ cars for sale at present. The 40 year old cars is a rolling date so next year 1984 cars are exempt and so on.

Auto Trader UK - New and Used Cars For Sale ULEZ exempt a nice 5.8 litre V8

Last edited:
Why are 40 year old cars exempt? They must be one of the worst polluting vehicles yet will be exempt from ULEZ. Bristol has the same ish policy and my brother in law happily drives his series 3 Land Rover free of charges 😂

By the way, there are some nice 40 year+ cars for sale at present. The 40 year old cars is a rolling date so next year 1984 cars are exempt and so on.

Black cabs are also exempt.

Probably because there's so little of them left on our roads that it doesn't really make any difference, and the vast majority of the surviving ones swill have classic cars plates anyway.

This exemption is unlikely to be exploited, i.e. I don't really see people starting to buy 40 years old cars in droves just to avoid paying £12.50 on the odd occasion that they drive into the zone.

Black cabs are also exempt.

This is supposed to be for the benefit of the travelling public who use black cabs, and the other argument was that since all new cabs must be electric (since 2018), eventually the Diesel ones will be phased-out, and given that the current age limit for black cabs in London is 13 years, only the older cabs registered between 2020 and 2014 are potentially still non-ULEZ compliant anyway.

BUT - while this rationale may sound plausible, I can't help thinking that there was a political agenda behind this exemption, i.e. one Mr Khan not wanting to raffle any of the LCDC feathers. Even so, the LCDC aren't exactly happy with the Mayor of London's decision:

Hi , I have a 1995 2.8 diesel Pajero. If I drive into London (Tooting ) and stay for a week but not use the car do I pay for 7 days or 1 payment on entry and 1 payment upon leaving picked up on cameras ?

This is supposed to be for the benefit of the travelling public who use black cabs
How? If a cab has to pay the £12.50 it can easily be absorbed. My wife regularly gives one of my pals £600 worth of fares a day from her work at the Royal Society of Medicine.
and the other argument was that since all new cabs must be electric (since 2018), eventually the Diesel ones will be phased-out, and given that the current age limit for black cabs in London is 13 years, only the older cabs registered between 2020 and 2014 are potentially still non-ULEZ compliant anyway.
A compromise. Interesting. 🤔🤔
BUT - while this rationale may sound plausible, I can't help thinking that there was a political agenda behind this exemption, i.e. one Mr Khan not wanting to raffle any of the LCDC feathers. Even so, the LCDC aren't exactly happy with the Mayor of London's decision:
So he cuts the Union Brothers some slack but carries on screwing the working man. 😏

You might know that 3 of my closest friends are black cab drivers. What they think of Kahn isn’t printable.

Last edited:
Hi , I have a 1995 2.8 diesel Pajero. If I drive into London (Tooting ) and stay for a week but not use the car do I pay for 7 days or 1 payment on entry and 1 payment upon leaving picked up on cameras ?
Two payments.

So he cuts the Union Brothers some slack but carries on screwing the working man. 😏
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I doubt here has ever been any schemes of this sort of size with zero criticism on how it is worked out and implemented.

But, aside from the exceptions, I really don’t see much of an issue with it. The principle is sound.

For years we have paid extra for vehicles that emit larger amounts of CO2, it’s a tax. The idea is to discourage people from buying and driving more polluting vehicles.

The expansion hasn’t come in yet, but it’s already working. One of the biggest things when looking at used cars for most people in and around London is the question ‘is it ULEZ compliant’?

It is working :)

I doubt here has ever been any schemes of this sort of size with zero criticism on how it is worked out and implemented.

But, aside from the exceptions, I really don’t see much of an issue with it. The principle is sound.

For years we have paid extra for vehicles that emit larger amounts of CO2, it’s a tax. The idea is to discourage people from buying and driving more polluting vehicles.

The expansion hasn’t come in yet, but it’s already working. One of the biggest things when looking at used cars for most people in and around London is the question ‘is it ULEZ compliant’?

It is working :)
Of course it’s working. The issue is the way it’s implemented.

You’re in Surrey so will the ULEZ affect you?

But 10% aren’t.
More importantly four out of five cars produced in the UK are exported.

It’s been a global industry and has been that way for a very long time

More importantly four out of five cars produced in the UK are exported.

It’s been a global industry and has been that way for a very long time
Give it a few years and it will be dead.

Give it a few years and it will be dead.
Why? You think that Germans won't want as many MINIs as the Brits currently buy?
That the Arabs won't want Range Rovers?
Asians will no longer want more Bentleys than Brits?
Will Americans, the biggest market for Rollers, start riding e-bikes?

Last edited:
Of course it’s working. The issue is the way it’s implemented.
You’re in Surrey so will the ULEZ affect you?
You asked that question of Will.

Even in crowded Wimbledon with an "ancient" S211 5.5 V8 and a 20 year old Mx5, Citizen Khan's ULEZ tax raising exercise doesn't affect me.

It's the essence of taxation. The Government levies taxes and the public avoids them.

"Put up income taxes to pay for Our NHS !" No problem. Just don't complain when doctors and nurses then carefully work shorter hours to avoid income taxes and employee NI of up to 66%. People work (or don't work) around the system.

Why? You think that Germans won't want as many MINIs as the Brits currently buy?
That the Arabs won't want Range Rovers?
Asians will no longer want more Bentleys than Brits?
Will Americans, the biggest market for Rollers, start riding e-bikes?
Politics.

The left hate the car and are doing their utmost to get rid of them and with the U.K. labour prices going up and with Brexit I can see the cars you mentioned being built abroad.

Mini, Range Rover and Bentley are German owned. Where do you think they’re going to be built?

The Land Rover Defender and the Discovery are now being built in Slovakia. Why do you think that is?

Last edited:

Even in crowded Wimbledon with an "ancient" S211 5.5 V8 and a 20 year old Mx5, Citizen Khan's ULEZ tax raising exercise doesn't affect me.
So you’ve got no problem with the extended ULEZ because your cars are compliant?

It's the essence of taxation. The Government levies taxes and the public avoids them.

"Put up income taxes to pay for Our NHS !" No problem. Just don't complain when doctors and nurses then carefully work shorter hours to avoid income taxes and employee NI of up to 66%. People work (or don't work) around the system.
I’m all right Jack , nice one Womble 🤬

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom