• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Stop expanding the ULEZ to all the London boroughs in 2023

I applied for a far less clever name yesterday and still waiting for it to be permitted by the powers that be.
You can change your name yourself, can't you, as Amgeed said further up the page?

You can change your name yourself, can't you, as Amgeed said further up the page?
That’s the process I went through. After pressing the final button it came up with something like “awaiting approval”. I’m not in any great rush.

Cars in my little cul de sac.
From the left diesel, petrol, diesel, diesel, diesel and a petrol. The 4 diesels are all non ULEZ so it’ll be interesting what the owners are going to do.
IMG_1481.jpeg

So at basic rate tax, you get £2.50 back so you pay a nice round tenner, interesting why he thought of the £12.50 charge.

You are assuming that self-employed tradesmen and builders make no more than £50k a year.... in London. Unlikely :D

Not at the rates we've been quoted, anyway... :(

One set of local cameras have the cables cut and another white paint over the lens.

Make as in turnover or profit?

Profit. I would expect that a self-employed plumber or builder etc won't have much expenses other than the usual (van, tools, phone, admin etc), and so get to keep the bulk of what they charge for labour?

Profit. I would expect that a self-employed plumber or builder etc won't have much expenses other than the usual (van, tools, phone, admin etc), and so get to keep the bulk of what they charge for labour?
Depends on the type of work but I suspect HappyTalk will be able to tell you more about expenses from a self employed builders point of view. I was a partner in a small firm and our expenses/overheads were a lot.

Plumbers are a different ball game especially if your fitting, servicing heating systems and boilers. If this is the case then public liability, all the gas analysers etc which need to be calibrated annually can be very high.

If you use propane or acetylene as I do then the cost of public liability will make your eyes water.

There of course are other things to take into consideration. Bad weather for example can stop work for days on end meaning no wages. Non payers are a frequent problem along with theft for the van or sites.

In real terms to what the tradesperson charges, expenses can mount up quickly despite what people think and will make up a large portion of an hourly charge.

Last edited:
Don’t forget self employed people have to cover their own holiday, sickness, sort out a pension or whatever too. And I would imagine that there will be occasions when they can’t earn - as Darrell says weather or cancelled jobs, supply issues etc.

I’m sure there’s plenty out there who earn really well but I wouldn’t say it’s all that easy. Having said that I’m sure most will be able to bake the £12.50 charge into their pricing if required, assuming they don’t already have a compliant vehicle or can’t afford to run a newer one.

I think MJ makes a fair point though, in and around London I would think most decent trades in demand could probably clear a grand a week?

So at basic rate tax, you get £2.50 back so you pay a nice round tenner, interesting why he thought of the £12.50 charge.
This makes sense. I don't disagree with the idea of reducing pollution but the charge can mount up over the year if you're not a high income earner

Don’t forget self employed people have to cover their own holiday, sickness, sort out a pension or whatever too. And I would imagine that there will be occasions when they can’t earn - as Darrell says weather or cancelled jobs, supply issues etc.

I’m sure there’s plenty out there who earn really well but I wouldn’t say it’s all that easy. Having said that I’m sure most will be able to bake the £12.50 charge into their pricing if required, assuming they don’t already have a compliant vehicle or can’t afford to run a newer one.

I think MJ makes a fair point though, in and around London I would think most decent trades in demand could probably clear a grand a week?
£12.50 plus the congestion charge.

A grand clear is easy but I’ve been reading a lot on various Facebook forums that work is drying up and/or people are getting stingy and tightening their belts.

Continuous work paying good dough is difficult. It’ll be a lot of customers and a shed load of paperwork.

It’s a bit like being back in my days of pricework in 1988. My boss said I will get £25 a bay and in those days I could lay 10 bays meaning £250 a day. Multiply that by a 5 day week and that’s £1250!!
It happened about twice in god knows how many years!

Last edited:

A grand clear is easy but I’ve been reading a lot on various Facebook forums that work is drying up and/or people are getting stingy.

Continuous work paying good dough is difficult. It’ll be a lot of customers and a shed load of paperwork.

It’s a bit like being back in my days of pricework in 1988. My boss said I will get £25 a bay and in those days I could lay 10 bays meaning £250 a day. Multiply that by a 5 day week and that’s £1250!!
It happened about twice in god knows how many years!
I know a firm who started adding the congestion charge onto jobs when it first came in years back.

It was questioned as some of the jobs weren’t in the CC zone and the excuse was that was the route taken by their drivers etc.

Then it turned out they were charging more than once for the same vehicle (full amount..)

I’m sure they weren’t the only ones!

I know a firm who started adding the congestion charge onto jobs when it first came in years back.

It was questioned as some of the jobs weren’t in the CC zone and the excuse was that was the route taken by their drivers etc.

Then it turned out they were charging more than once for the same vehicle (full amount..)

I’m sure they weren’t the only ones!
I’ve heard of that tbh. Aspect or Pimlico?

Just to clarify:

Those contractors/tradesmen driving older vans who currently pay the Congestion Charge, will also be already paying the ULEZ charge anyway (because the Congestion Charge zone is all ULEZ, has been for some time now).

Those contractors/tradesmen who only started paying the ULEZ charge now, won't be paying the Congestion Charge, because the new ULEZ is outside of the Congestion Charge zone.

So, the contractors/tradesmen will wither already be used to paying ULEZ plus CC, or they will start to pay ULEZ now but not CC.

Just to clarify:

Those contractors/tradesmen driving older vans who currently pay the Congestion Charge, will also be already paying the ULEZ charge anyway (because the Congestion Charge zone is all ULEZ, has been for some time now).

Those contractors/tradesmen who only started paying the ULEZ charge now, won't be paying the Congestion Charge, because the new ULEZ is outside of the Congestion Charge zone.

So, the contractors/tradesmen will wither already be used to paying ULEZ plus CC, or they will start to pay ULEZ now but not CC.
So if a plumber in St Albans has a non ULEZ van and gets a job in the West End, what does he have to pay? I’m confused.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom