• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Tail pipes

LESTAYLOR

Car
W210 E320CDI 7 seater Estate, 2004 SL55 with F1 performance pack and a 1985 Mercedes 508D self conve
image-1961432340.jpg

The tail pipes on my Sl55 are in a grotty state. Can you recommend the best way to clean them. The left hand unit has some rust on it. I would welcome any ideas. Someone suggested using tin foil wet in soapy water???????

Do they come off? Mine did, there is a small screw normally underneath, then I put them in the dishwasher, don't tell the Mrs.

Then Autosol :)

I used braso on mine came up like new with very little work.

Britemax Twins should do the trick - to be fair they don't look too bad in the pics but in extreme cases wire wool can sort.

gbjeppm said:
Do they come off? Mine did, there is a small screw normally underneath, then I put them in the dishwasher, don't tell the Mrs. Then Autosol :)

Mm great idea, but they are welded on...

Fine wire wool to get rid of the rusty bits (NOT a Brillo pad :D) then Solvol Autosol as mentioned by others.

I wouldn't use wire wool, just stick with Autosol and elbow grease as the results will be far better although it may take a few hours! :thumb:

You think they're grotty, when I bought my car the tail pipe was completely encrusted in thick blackness.

I used a metal polish for pots and pans along with a brillo pad.

Maybe Autosol and wirewool would have been better as I did scratch it slightly but it was so encrusted I think any mechanical process would have scratched it one way or another. Also you have to virtually lie down on the road to see the scratches, standing up from the back or side it looks shiny which is the main thing. Now I just have to remember to give it a wipe each week to keep the black away.

Diesel does everything, no need for expensive BS that shops are offering :) Used to clean my cars exhaust tips. After a year, they still look like brand new :D

wire wool "0000" grade will not scratch - it's used to clean wooden furniture. Any decent hardware shop

+1 for 0000 wire wool.......use it on the windscreen as well with meths.

Mic

Cif cream works pretty well too (when I couldn't find the Autosol in the garage)

And above all, strong elbows :D

Wire wool, or a 2000 grit paper. Then autosol as its still got some abrasives in it. Then after that meguiars metal polish. It's fine and also adds a layer of protection. Used to use it on my skyline Gtr engine. Shine is massive.

Auto sol with 0000. Then brasso, then if you're really OCD finish with Silvo, but really I would just stop as brasso.

Last edited:
Try Cape Cod polishing cloth...it will remove scratches and crud from polished steel, great product, but do NOT use on satin finished steel surfaces, it will make them shiny.

I use it on my watches.

capecod.jpg

T cut to wipe away the grime. Then autosol a cloth by hand then autosol and demel with cotton wheel tail pipes on ml55 came good as new.

Jib

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom