The AMG GT - as good as the reviews? Would you buy one, seeking opinions from owners.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Still waiting for the chance to try a GTS but did drive a GTR a couple of months ago. Personal opinion is that maybe the GTR is just a little hardcore for regular road use, just too noisy (road - don’t mind the engine) at town speeds. once we are allowed out again, I’ll be looking to try a GTS and see if it’s easier to live with

I would be interested to hear how you find the GTS nyssa if you dont mind posting back. Your comments on the GTR being a touch hardcore is something I have been pondering after watching countless YouTube clips. The GTC is supposed to be the softer version retaining the 4 wheel steering but dropping a little power. However, the GTC was the last model to be released so they are thin on the ground (most are roadsters) and the price difference to a GTR is not significant.

Buying a GTS and mapping it is quite appealing but you lose the 4 wheel steer. Confused :eek:

I would be interested to hear how you find the GTS nyssa if you dont mind posting back. Your comments on the GTR being a touch hardcore is something I have been pondering after watching countless YouTube clips. The GTC is supposed to be the softer version retaining the 4 wheel steering but dropping a little power. However, the GTC was the last model to be released so they are thin on the ground (most are roadsters) and the price difference to a GTR is not significant.

Buying a GTS and mapping it is quite appealing but you lose the 4 wheel steer. Confused :eek:
The GT R is a little more track orientated and the GT C is a little more road orientated, but there’s very little in it. Think of the AMG GT R as being the equivalent of the Porsche 911 GT 3, and the GT C as being the equivalent of the Porsche 911 GT 3 Touring and you’ll not be far off.

That said if you drive a GT C check whether it has the Dynamic Plus Pack, which adds active suspension and engine/transmission mounts, and also Race mode. With it, it feels just like the GT R to drive, but adds the benefit of being able to soften it (slightly) on-demand, which bring

The GT R is a little more powerful but the engine and turbos are the same - the difference is the map. Likewise the GT S is a little more powerful than the GT but the engine and turbos are the same. There are a few physical engine differences between the R/C and S/- though, the turbo is the main difference though.

Beyond the obvious difference in engine power, some of the differences between the R/C and S/- which spring to mind are:

Wider bodywork
Wider track
Rear wheel steering
Electronic diff
Fully adaptive suspension
Race mode and launch control
Wider wheels and tyres
Active aerodynamics
Panamericana grille
Vents in front and rear bumper

When new, I think in standard trim there was less than £5k difference between the GT R and GT C. I suspect that the difference is bigger now as the GT C just wasn’t anywhere near as popular as the GT R when new, and I can’t see that changing over time - buyers in the market for a car like this prefer the most extreme version.

Last edited:
Hello Firthy
You mentioned a GT car and considered a Cayman GT4 which seems quite a driver-focused car. All the other cars seem to be more compromising with more interior luxury and luggage space with higher power performance.

I'm not sure where this fits in your assessment but just to throw it in the mix, how about a McLaren 570GT. It's in your price range at under 90k but although it is the GT car in the range, I would say boot space is compromised like the Cayman.

You would probably want to take out quite a pricey warranty and service costs are on a step higher than the AMG GT. I think depreciation would not be too bad: it's taken the most part of that and as one of the lower models in the range, I don't think that would drop much further and would reach a trough where it would sit for quite a while.

That said if you drive a GT C check whether it has the Dynamic Plus Pack, which adds active suspension and engine/transmission mounts, and also Race mode. With it, it feels just like the GT R to drive, but adds the benefit of being able to soften it (slightly) on-demand, which bring
I think GT Cs have adaptive suspension too. The dynamic plus pack just means stiffer adaptive suspension.

R has coil over suspension which is more adjustable

Might be a while before test drive are a thing again, but once we can, I’ll be getting on the case. I’ve extended the lease on my CLA45 three times now, not sure how much longer Mercedes will keep doing this, so need to start thinking about what comes next a bit more seriously

man maths says if a new CLA45 costs £60k, then I can look for a used £60k car - I know it might not work like that, but so long as the wife buys into it......... and can get into an AMG GTS around that area

Hello Firthy
You mentioned a GT car and considered a Cayman GT4 which seems quite a driver-focused car. All the other cars seem to be more compromising with more interior luxury and luggage space with higher power performance.

I'm not sure where this fits in your assessment but just to throw it in the mix, how about a McLaren 570GT. It's in your price range at under 90k but although it is the GT car in the range, I would say boot space is compromised like the Cayman.

You would probably want to take out quite a pricey warranty and service costs are on a step higher than the AMG GT. I think depreciation would not be too bad: it's taken the most part of that and as one of the lower models in the range, I don't think that would drop much further and would reach a trough where it would sit for quite a while.
I have considered McLarens but the maintenance and servicing scare me, not helped by living in North Wales. As someone else commented, warranty costs are ridiculous. Not sure I could be content with ownership knowing the risks.

Oddly, I have Lotus dealer 2 miles from home and have thought about the Evora GT430 too. I really want a drivers car that the Mrs and I can enjoy for weekenders away. Cars on the short list are the Nissan GT-R, Audi R8 V10, Cayman GT4 and GT430 (and perhaps a BMW M3CS). The AMG GT seems to be the best blend of luxury and performance which is how I ended up here. When I am ready to buy I think finding a car in the right colour & spec could be enough to sway me from one model to another though. If I was buying today the dark green GTR posted earlier in the thread would be mine! However, if I only had the choice of a silver or white GTR then my attention would likely wander elsewhere ;)

Cheers

I didn't previously comment on running costs and reliability as there's not much to note really, but here you go:

Reliability:
  • No specific concerns. It's engineered to be as usable and reliable as any other Mercedes.
  • One warranty claim, a controller for the electronic diff was leading to random ESP/ABS/PAS/Suspension warning lights.
Recalls:
  • Check to make sure that the guards have been fitted to protect the radiators - it will only affect early cars, and I would expect them to have been retrofitted on any cars being serviced in the main dealer network. Early cars picked up stone damage.
  • A comms unit which I believe connects the car to the Internet (not GT specific). No symptoms.
Running costs:
  • I will exclude depreciation and insurance as both are very specific to the owner/driver.
  • Road tax is what you would I expect, I think around £500, but from memory it's not in the highest bracket.
  • A-service and brake fluid was £430 at the main dealer.
  • Service Contract for subsequent services £57 per month but I got 20% promotional discount for prepaying up-front.
  • Tyres reasonable - common size Porsche, Lamborghini, McLaren - prices vary but probably a set for £1100 ish.
For this type of car, that's fairly good value.

As I say there's not much noteworthy, it's not much different to any other AMG. if there's something specific then ask away.
Just remembered, the dynamic engine mounts were replaced, part of the Dynamics Plus Package, so does not apply to standard cars.

Interesting....you certainly wouldn’t get that in a 911

I have first hand experience of this, in a years ownership of a 911 GTS I got very few compliments whereas i’ve had almost non stop compliments in the 3 months i’ve owned my GTR, frequently come walking back to the car to see people taking pictures of it.

Took a long time for me to get to test drive. GTR (not many in NI) and I was worried it would be too hardcore for a road car but I think it’s totally fine, maybe just slightly harsher than a 911 GTS but softer than the GT3 I test drove. I find can even use sport plus suspension on the road and there’s no way I could have used sport plus on the 911.

Reliability wise i’ve had no issues since i’ve owned it and the overall quality seems much better than a 911.

Running costs - expect to get about 14mpg and i’ve just got a quote from Merc for an extended warranty for £163 a month or £1700 a year upfront.

Ceramic brakes are £14k if you need them replaced (i’m hoping i never need them done) and i’m due a service A next month and have been getting quotes for about £900.

Overall it’s a fantastic car, perfect combination of looks, performance, comfort, tech and just feels really special.

I have first hand experience of this, in a years ownership of a 911 GTS I got very few compliments whereas i’ve had almost non stop compliments in the 3 months i’ve owned my GTR, frequently come walking back to the car to see people taking pictures of it.

Took a long time for me to get to test drive. GTR (not many in NI) and I was worried it would be too hardcore for a road car but I think it’s totally fine, maybe just slightly harsher than a 911 GTS but softer than the GT3 I test drove. I find can even use sport plus suspension on the road and there’s no way I could have used sport plus on the 911.

Reliability wise i’ve had no issues since i’ve owned it and the overall quality seems much better than a 911.

Running costs - expect to get about 14mpg and i’ve just got a quote from Merc for an extended warranty for £163 a month or £1700 a year upfront.

Ceramic brakes are £14k if you need them replaced (i’m hoping i never need them done) and i’m due a service A next month and have been getting quotes for about £900.

Overall it’s a fantastic car, perfect combination of looks, performance, comfort, tech and just feels really special.
Post some pics!

Please upload them to a photo hosting site, eg imgir and then share them on here. thanks

Posted some pics in the other thread on this forum

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom