The E63 I now own.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Flamin’ ‘eck! 🔥

A disgruntled customer? Or caused by one the cars they just serviced.? :doh:
It wasn't clear, but based on my experience I imagine that an MB-Bromley technician had just finished flame-proofing the sign, and my photograph shows the results of their labours.

If it was uncomfortable vehicle costing as much as it did, id be selling as soon as i could and buy something that didn't annoy or hurt me as soon as i drove it.

Funny enough a friend of mine had a 211 facelift Sport e280 cdi, It didn't have nappa leather just the usual sport trim seats and they played my back up after 50 miles.

My Pre facelift e320 cdi Avantgarde with nappa was comfortable over 660miles across Europe no complaints at all.

I certainly couldn't live with a Uncomfortable car no matter what it was. Obviously only the Op can tell us how he feels.
Ok, this is the pedal arrangement for my 911- I've driven this car to the Alps and it was the perfect companion for the journey, I jumped out feeling great.

50733012383_db13e568bf_b.jpg

This is my right leg in its "natural straight-ahead" position, it puts my foot directly over the throttle:

50733009838_ed899e43bc_b.jpg

This is the E63:

50733829697_c1c36ac44c_b.jpg

And here is the same picture, but with my right leg present in it's natural straight-ahead position:

50733732996_758a176070_b.jpg

I've got two sets of E63 brake and accelerator pedals coming (ordered from eBay) to cut up and experiment on.

The hard part is going to be moving the brake pedal over to the left, I imagine that the route forward is going to be to cut the lever arm, weld it onto a section of tube, weld the lower part onto the other side of the tube to the left of it's current position, then go mad with the gussets (nudge nudge).

The accelerator looks to be bolted into the chassis with two M10 fasteners, I would hope that a plate could be made that attaches to the chassis points currently occupied by said fasteners, and the plate replicates the mounting points 100mm (or whatever it turns out to be) to the left.

I'm happy to close up the distance between the two pedals, but there's no getting away from the fact that the brake pedal needs to move a fair way.

Wow, that's not just a couple of cm, that's a really significant offset between a 'natural' position and where the pedals are. Not surprised it could cause discomfort.

I wonder whether the RHD versions ended up compromised, and whether it's to do with leaving space for extra emissions control equipment down the tunnel? I know one or two of my JDM cars have had bumps intruding into the passenger footwell for cats, obviously not such an issue when it's on that side.

I realise that 'sell the car you've just bought and buy a LHD version' probably isn't the most helpful suggestion though, even if it is the case ;-)

Just drive it in Cruise control lol ;)

Can I suggest you also weld some extra bracing on the existing pedal to stop it twisting if you need to brake hard for any reason.

Never noticed any discomfort in either the W211 or W212.
I tent to have my foot on the pedal at an angle.

Certainly would not consider modifying any of the pedals, especially the brake as it would be a nightmare explaining this mod. to insurance.

Never noticed any discomfort in either the W211 or W212.
I tent to have my foot on the pedal at an angle.

Certainly would not consider modifying any of the pedals, especially the brake as it would be a nightmare explaining this mod. to insurance.
It’s an old saw but we’re all different, for me holding my leg rotated outward in order to have my foot on the pedal at an angle is what is causing my back pain, for you it’s fine. I wish I had your morphology as it pertains to leg angle, but I don’t do something is going to have to change.

I would prefer to bend the existing pedal arm, but looking at it I think that would place the pedal itself too high. Maybe bend the arm and put a larger pad on the pedal?

Or bite the bullet and get a whole new pedal fabricated.

It’s an old saw but we’re all different, for me holding my leg rotated outward in order to have my foot on the pedal at an angle is what is causing my back pain, for you it’s fine. I wish I had your morphology as it pertains to leg angle, but I don’t do something is going to have to change.

I would prefer to bend the existing pedal arm, but looking at it I think that would place the pedal itself too high. Maybe bend the arm and put a larger pad on the pedal?

Or bite the bullet and get a whole new pedal fabricated.

If you are doing it, I'd go to someone that does this for motorsport and pay them for the job.

I knew it was a bad offset but seeing it like that really confirms why I could never get comfy driving a W212, you’re talking a good 4” inch to the left there I’d say it needs to be?!

Well, if we take these dimensions:

Attachments

• FF7E64CB-A6FB-4763-8AAE-33C0C248171E.jpeg
    FF7E64CB-A6FB-4763-8AAE-33C0C248171E.jpeg
    78.4 KB · Views: 2
I’d say the brake needs to move ~70mm and the throttle ~100 mm. So yes - around 4” in old money.

I’d say the brake needs to move ~70mm and the throttle ~100 mm. So yes - around 4” in old money.
I’m really hoping you can create something and I’ll be watching your travails with great intrigue!

TBH the route I'm going to follow is "give a motorsport fabricator the brief and some money", so I really can't claim any credit.

I will however keep the threat updated with how I get on.

TBH the route I'm going to follow is "give a motorsport fabricator the brief and some money", so I really can't claim any credit.

I will however keep the threat updated with how I get on.
Don’t ruin the thought already - you could have posted the odd photo with socket sets, bits of random metal and arc welder in the footwell and taken credit!

Todays quick run to Sainos revealed that the official Mercedes media cable plus an OEM Apple 30 pin to Lightning adapter do not allow my iPhone 12 to speak to the COMAND system, but do charge the phone.
Suspect you may have an incorrect version of the media cable, or there's an issue with the Media Interface.

iPhone 12 Pro works fine in Angie's SLK55 (same head unit as you have in your E63) when connected to the media interface via the Mercedes media cable plus an OEM Apple 30 pin to Lightning adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom