The S Class - Dad Tank II

zipdip

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
s320
I should also add that try to never use the parking button on the end of the gearstick,always put on the electric parking brake,if you do not use this for a period of time it will seize up and that is expensive to put right.

OP
OP
Alex225

Alex225

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS63 AMG
You got a great car,the memory seat package,many do not have it,now some will say well I am the only person who drives the car so why have say two different seat settings so at a push of a button the seat is set for you,but there is a another very cool thing that happens if you have memory when you are parking the car select reverse and the nearside door mirror will tilt down so you can see the rear nearside wheel very handy given the size of the car and the cost of refurbing wheels.as I said great cars very cheap they have to be the bargain in the mercedes range and they do not rot,if you put that car in sport and give it some right foot the car will eat the road up.
The memory seats was one of the options I really wanted in the car. Not so much for different drivers but I usually have two settings. I'll have setting 1 set with the seat a bit more upright with the steering wheel higher and further forward. Setting 2 I use for long motorway drives so once I'm settled into a long run, I'll have the seat slightly further back, wheel a bit closer and the seat leaning back a little. :)

I should also add that try to never use the parking button on the end of the gearstick,always put on the electric parking brake,if you do not use this for a period of time it will seize up and that is expensive to put right.
Out of habit I always pop the car into neutral when parked, handbrake on and then P. I assume it rests on the handbrake rather than the parking pawl. Same as my old E Class. Definitely use the handbrake since it's there. :)

OP
OP
Alex225

Alex225

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS63 AMG
Car looks immaculate! Hard to believe it’s over a decade old
To be fair the car was in really good condition when I got it, part the reason I went for it. Only took a handful of things to get it looking newer. The wheels and the seats have lifted the car right up. The styling of these I think has aged really well, I don't consider it looking dated despite being 12 years old.

OP
OP
Alex225

Alex225

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS63 AMG
My S Class had a visitor from another car I own. Couldn't be more of an opposite really, small, nippy and French! Had this since new and putting it in storage alongside my CLS. Thought it looks cool alongside the S.

Not really very Mercedes related but some may find it a bit interesting. :)

And yes I need to do some weeding! haha

MrGreedy

Car
w212 E350 CDI 125th Anniversary Edition
The styling of these I think has aged really well, I don't consider it looking dated despite being 12 years old.
Amazing job on this car!
I think these look better today than when new, as the straighter lines back then were a relatively new departure.
I'm happy with my recent E350 CDI acquisition, but this thread is making me wish I'd gone for one of these or an S500. There's an S350 ex-embassy car for sale currently on the trader. One owner and 60k, 2006, £7495. I would hope that the car would often have been in secure locations, and therefore fewer body work issues, but who knows.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202006230438101

OP
OP
Alex225

Alex225

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS63 AMG
Amazing job on this car!
I think these look better today than when new, as the straighter lines back then were a relatively new departure.
I'm happy with my recent E350 CDI acquisition, but this thread is making me wish I'd gone for one of these or an S500. There's an S350 ex-embassy car for sale currently on the trader. One owner and 60k, 2006, £7495. I would hope that the car would often have been in secure locations, and therefore fewer body work issues, but who knows.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202006230438101
It's likely the E will probably give you less bills although the S models really do present a lot of value from that era. I bought mine based on the condition but still spent a few quid getting it as close to new as possible, £700 on the leather, £400 odd on the wheels etc. But it's an awful lot of car for what I paid for it and to have it really tidy, it's somewhat comparable to it's new price.

I'm just hoping the niggles are ironed out I got sorted under warranty are it for a while!

That link isn't working now I'm afraid mate but you would definitely expect it to have been in some secure places haha.

I made a little purchase to go in the S the other week, arrived more quickly than expected. It's a PCMCIA adapter of the stereo, will allow me to use an SD card for music as up until now it's been MP3 DVD which work ok but it seems to lose it's place now and then.

For what it cost me, I'm not convinced it's a genuine Merc part but it came in a nice tin! haha

I've not tested it yet but I've loaded up to 32gb cards. Fingers crossed.

i'm not too fussed about streaming from my phone as I'm old school and buy CDs which I rip to MP3 anyway.

MrGreedy

Car
Yeah, I think the ex-Embassy S-class has been snapped up. It looked in amazing condition, with what looked like a darker tan/brown leather. Not really seen that before.

I'm sorting the niggles on my E as well. New washer hose and all the scuttle panel and drain system cleaned up whilst off. Wheels refurbed (although damaged during tyre refit, so I'm trying to get that resolved which is a pain). Removed, clean and rejuvenated all the boot seals to hopefully stop leaks. New wheel arch liner. New front badges.
The most annoying bit is the aluminium 'non-removable' heat shield/Mercedes Benz logo plate has fallen off one of the front calipers. They push into the visible face of the caliper seen through the wheel; it's not the bigger shield behind the brake disc. These are made by TRW (brakes), but they won't sell one and customer service deny it exists (it's stamped up with their part number and logo), neither will Merc, so it's £280 for a new caliper (plus the hassle of fitting) to get the new plate. I've tried pointing out this is not very environmentally friendly and seems to run totally contrary to Mercedes and Daimler's published environmental policy, having to replace the whole caliper for such a little part. I don't think anyone I've spoken to cares. In fact, I get the impression they think I'm off my head and have just landed from Mars. A quick trawl of the forums reveals this is a really common problem.

MrGreedy

Car
Also picked up a foot rest, same as I had in my E-Class.

Hi Alex,

How did you fit the foot rest? It doesn't sit well with my that in my E, I'm just resting shoes directly on the carpet; not even on the floor mat!

Thank you!

OP
OP
Alex225

Alex225

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS63 AMG
Hi Alex,

How did you fit the foot rest? It doesn't sit well with my that in my E, I'm just resting shoes directly on the carpet; not even on the floor mat!

Thank you!
It's basically got sticky backed plastic on the underside. I used the same type of thing for my E Class and it stayed put. Seems to be fine in the S too.

Like you putting my feet on that bare bit of carpet just didn't seem right! haha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom