The S Class - Dad Tank II

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
the garage I bought from will be paying for that

They must love you Alex :D

On a serious note though I’m glad the car is sorted! The ATF is well worth doing for sure. :)

They must love you Alex :D

On a serious note though I’m glad the car is sorted! The ATF is well worth doing for sure. :)

Tell me about it haha. Although when I went to look at the car the seller was refreshed by my comment of it being 12 years I know it won't be perfect. Unfortunately it's a complex car and it looks to have mostly sat still for a year prior to me buying it. I believe the garage use a warranty company themselves to cover issues up to a certain amount.

Fingers crossed we're all set now. haha

So, picked up the car yesterday from having the gearbox service completed. To be fair the gear changes were fine but it's made a very nice difference, completely unnoticeable. Which is nice.

I had them look at a leak which turned out (thankfully) to be a replacement airline. Despite the car dealer I bought from paying I'm glad it wasn't significant. Sits nice and level at all times now where it was lowering overnight.

4ZpMe54.jpg

Also as per another thread I have on here, I was having trouble with some spots of what I assume was paint on a few parts of the interior. Really minor but bloody annoying.

jDz7tX5.jpg

I tried a few things but no joy so got in touch with a local leather repair company. They came out today and I decided all or nothing so ended up having both front seats completely re-coloured. Also decided on the central and drivers door arm rests being done too.

1MFz6rA.jpg

SlNGIQY.jpg

What I assumed was artico turned out to be genuine leather. Obviously recolouring doesn't remove the stretch in the leather but they otherwise look like new. Very very pleased. I mean they in a particularly bad way but, well why not! haha

kUIIyC4.jpg

yyZrkpZ.jpg

Had a good chat with the chap who did the work. Nearly 20 years of experience he certainly knew what he was talking about.
Rather than use the original colour code which wouldn't match on a 12 year old car anymore, it's matched to the finish of the rest of the interior. They now have a much closer to original matt finish.

Those seats have come up lovely! How much did he charge buddy? Pm if you like.

Yet another update which I suspect will be a divisive one. I'd seen these online and quite liked the look of them so got a set off eBay. They are the projector bulbs for the puddle lights on the S. Thought they were worth a go for £12 and actually I rather like them.

Literally 5 seconds to pop out the originals.

D1SdLs5.jpg

Then check them out when it gets dark. Excuse the wonky gravel image haha

GMqb8Qs.jpg

Those seats have come up lovely! How much did he charge buddy? Pm if you like.

One has a PM mate haha

No great update but thought whilst washing the car I'd give the fuel filler a quick clean up. All in the little details right.

Not a huge effort just a clean up with quick detailer then shine the plastics up.

AzlAU5Z.jpg

7bHVQCU.jpg

And a picture I tweaked with an app that I quite liked.

3hEdPCs.jpg

Yep agreed its the little things that make a difference, Looks lovely Alex

Love the puddle lights, got them meself. :)
20200328_224411.jpg

Last edited:
I must admit for what they cost I thought they were worth a go and actually they work really well. I need to have a look and see if the same bulbs fit in the back doors and get some for them too! haha

It's a fine line tweaking an S Class as there's a few I'm seeing a few modified S' online and they go from looking tidy to looking naff! haha

Yeah I’m really pleased with them. Quite a neat little touch I reckon and not too chintzy.

Car looks fresh!

As for the door puddle lights, the rear ones are the same as the front ones, they'll fit as I have them on my s class too

Thanks mate I have ordered a set for the back doors too. Only a small touch but I like them.

They arrived today so had to be fitted ASAP haha. All four doors sorted now. Considering the price they are extremely well put together and work well.

ImKU3Qm.jpg

Well an annoying update on my S Class as in short it's being a right w**ker during lockdown. It's probably only done 50 miles in the last 8 weeks but I've had it on trickle charge so I thought it was in good shape. I then took it for a drive as needed to go to a local office for work at that point it went into what I later found out is limp mode. Wasn't quite sure as no engine management light which I would have expected.

The garage I bought from are currently closed but responding to e-mails and thankfully DDR in Surrey are much closer and they fixed the leaking valve on my air suspension previously so I booked in with them.

The fault I pulled off the car was 0705 which is related to the gearbox but it turns out that, that's a stored fault and limp mode was caused by the EGR valve being faulty. So I've had a quote back for that which is around the £400 mark, I've told them to proceed with that as it's what's affecting the car. The other fault it transpires is the the transmission control module and despite it not impeding the car currently, it will need to be replaced which is around £800-900.

So I'm currently talking with DDR and the dealer I bought from and awaiting on the dealerships advice on them covering it. They covered DDR replacing a valve previously and I'm not sure they would replace the TCM in house although maybe the EGR valve they might.

I knew the car was going to be expensive to maintain, under no illusions there but that's over £1,500 in the 600ish miles I've done in the car. Let's hope that's it for a while once this is all done and dusted.

In other news, I installed two replacement CCTV camera which have much better clarity and a wide lense so capture the drive and entrance loads better.

MztBSHh.jpg

yMp5cN7.jpg

Also had a quote to refurbish the wheels. I want them all re-diamond cut which I know is a fragile finish but these rims look so much better in the original finish. I was contemplating whether I have them sprayed a light metallic grey and then have the faces diamond cut, just to add more contrast between the polished and painted parts but we'll see. Quote came in at £114 a wheel including VAT so will do some comparisons with other local firms.

Well an annoying update on my S Class as in short it's being a right w**ker during lockdown. It's probably only done 50 miles in the last 8 weeks but I've had it on trickle charge so I thought it was in good shape. I then took it for a drive as needed to go to a local office for work at that point it went into what I later found out is limp mode. Wasn't quite sure as no engine management light which I would have expected.

The garage I bought from are currently closed but responding to e-mails and thankfully DDR in Surrey are much closer and they fixed the leaking valve on my air suspension previously so I booked in with them.

The fault I pulled off the car was 0705 which is related to the gearbox but it turns out that, that's a stored fault and limp mode was caused by the EGR valve being faulty. So I've had a quote back for that which is around the £400 mark, I've told them to proceed with that as it's what's affecting the car. The other fault it transpires is the the transmission control module and despite it not impeding the car currently, it will need to be replaced which is around £800-900.

So I'm currently talking with DDR and the dealer I bought from and awaiting on the dealerships advice on them covering it. They covered DDR replacing a valve previously and I'm not sure they would replace the TCM in house although maybe the EGR valve they might.

I knew the car was going to be expensive to maintain, under no illusions there but that's over £1,500 in the 600ish miles I've done in the car. Let's hope that's it for a while once this is all done and dusted.

In other news, I installed two replacement CCTV camera which have much better clarity and a wide lense so capture the drive and entrance loads better.

MztBSHh.jpg

yMp5cN7.jpg

Also had a quote to refurbish the wheels. I want them all re-diamond cut which I know is a fragile finish but these rims look so much better in the original finish. I was contemplating whether I have them sprayed a light metallic grey and then have the faces diamond cut, just to add more contrast between the polished and painted parts but we'll see. Quote came in at £114 a wheel including VAT so will do some comparisons with other local firms.

What part of Surrey ?

I have been using Primo Alloys Woking for many years and i can highly recommend them. www.primoalloys.co.uk They where in Guilford.

Thanks mate, I'll check them out. I'm more East Surrey so was considering Premier Wheels in Redhill as heard good things. Will have a look at Primo though. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom