The Wanderer Returns

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

artyman

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Kia E-Niro ex C 200 CDI Sport
OK so it's been five months since I was last here, having pensioned off my C class after 10 years of ownership. I defected to a Kia E-Niro having originally been considering a Hybrid, my research indicated that a full BEV would make more sense. I like many had thought that range was an issue, but in reality it just isn't. The trips I make that are greater than the battery range are so few that even if I have to pay for an expensive Rapid Charger at a Motorway Service Area, it will be so insignificant in the overall cost of running the car as to not matter, and it can be recharging while I stop for something to eat and more importantly avail myself of the plumbing facilities. Not so much range anxiety, as to bladder anxiety and will I make to the next services.

So what is it like to drive, well pulling away for the first time in silence was a bit unnerving, but not really any different to driving an automatic Merc. My trip from Norfolk back home took me just over three hours and I arrived quite fresh and found it as comfortable as the C Class. Performance wise it certainly accelerates quicker than my Cdi200 and was quite happy cruising at 70mph and had to watch that it didn't creep to far above that. The boot is a little smaller, but it has two underfloor trays for keeping all sorts of rubbish tidy, and of course the seats drop to carry large amounts of junk as required. I've changed to an off peak electricity tariff so I can leave the car to charge itself in the middle of the night at 5p a Kw, so I estimate it will cost me around £140 a year against £1300 of diesel, and I don't get my hands smelly, that's even if I don't use the free Tesco chargers while doing the weekly shop.

Do I miss the prestige of MB, not really. Drawbacks, well it's taller than the Merc and I need a stool to be able to wash the roof, I haven't manged to read the 551 page manual yet, and the infotainment options are bewildering for an aging Luddite. I certainly wouldn't go back to a conventionally fuelled vehicle, it's smooth comfortable and the smart cruise control that adjusts my speed in town stop go traffic is wonderful. If you haven't considered an electric vehicle, go for a drive in one, it will surprise you.

OK so it's been five months since I was last here, having pensioned off my C class after 10 years of ownership. I defected to a Kia E-Niro having originally been considering a Hybrid, my research indicated that a full BEV would make more sense. I like many had thought that range was an issue, but in reality it just isn't. The trips I make that are greater than the battery range are so few that even if I have to pay for an expensive Rapid Charger at a Motorway Service Area, it will be so insignificant in the overall cost of running the car as to not matter, and it can be recharging while I stop for something to eat and more importantly avail myself of the plumbing facilities. Not so much range anxiety, as to bladder anxiety and will I make to the next services.

So what is it like to drive, well pulling away for the first time in silence was a bit unnerving, but not really any different to driving an automatic Merc. My trip from Norfolk back home took me just over three hours and I arrived quite fresh and found it as comfortable as the C Class. Performance wise it certainly accelerates quicker than my Cdi200 and was quite happy cruising at 70mph and had to watch that it didn't creep to far above that. The boot is a little smaller, but it has two underfloor trays for keeping all sorts of rubbish tidy, and of course the seats drop to carry large amounts of junk as required. I've changed to an off peak electricity tariff so I can leave the car to charge itself in the middle of the night at 5p a Kw, so I estimate it will cost me around £140 a year against £1300 of diesel, and I don't get my hands smelly, that's even if I don't use the free Tesco chargers while doing the weekly shop.

Do I miss the prestige of MB, not really. Drawbacks, well it's taller than the Merc and I need a stool to be able to wash the roof, I haven't manged to read the 551 page manual yet, and the infotainment options are bewildering for an aging Luddite. I certainly wouldn't go back to a conventionally fuelled vehicle, it's smooth comfortable and the smart cruise control that adjusts my speed in town stop go traffic is wonderful. If you haven't considered an electric vehicle, go for a drive in one, it will surprise you.
Welcome back and thanks for the review.

For some, perhaps many, EVs make a lot of sense and it’s clear that modern EVs are far from milk floats. Saw someone put their foot in with an EQC the other day and it went like scalded cat!

Yes when I took my son out for a demo and put my foot down he went WOW, they have certainly developed, more like a milk float on steroids 😄 Unless you are a motorway muncher doing more than 250 miles a day certainly consider an EV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom